• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I buy comics as an investment...
2 2

56 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2024 at 8:01 AM, shadroch said:

Comics were a very important part of my investment portfolio.   You should invest in things you know and understand.  However, if your entire investment portfolio is in comic books and you are living in mom's basement, you might want to reconsider your strategy.

Many, many, many years ago I was at a small comic show. There was a guy with a table full of nice GA/SA books. We talked and he invited me over to his place.

When I got to his place, I found it was a trailer. Inside was a couch, a TV, coffee table, a mattress on the floor and was packed with mostly worthless comics. I quickly figured out that show table was his entire life savings.

I left a lot less impressed…

Around 1990, I was set up at a NY show, and at the table next to mine was a store owner from Virginia.  We spent four days talking and watching each other's table. He was near Alexandria, and I visited DC often, so a few weeks later, I dropped by his shop. It was a nice enough shop but I was stunned to find out he slept on a mattress in the backroom and showered at a gym.  Living his dream came with a cost.

Around 1990, I was set up at a NY show, and at the table next to mine was a store owner from Virginia.  We spent four days talking and watching each other's table. He was near Alexandria, and I visited DC often, so a few weeks later, I dropped by his shop. It was a nice enough shop but I was stunned to find out he slept on a mattress in the backroom and showered at a gym.  Living his dream came with a cost.

Hey, Shad-was this at the Great Eastern Show in NYC / MacFarlane Spider-Man #1 4-day show?  Just curious...

On 4/28/2024 at 10:19 AM, comicstock said:

Hey, Shad-was this at the Great Eastern Show in NYC / MacFarlane Spider-Man #1 4-day show?  Just curious...

No, I'm pretty sure it wasn't.  We met while setting up on Thursday night and ended up going out for dinner, so by the last night, it felt like we'd been there a week.  I was a one-man show at most of the convention and didn't leave the dealer room.  

On 4/28/2024 at 12:49 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

People can do what they want. I see comics as carrying too much long-term risk to be a safe investment because I don't think that demographics favor the growth of the hobby over the long haul. I think that demand could go down as the Boomers and Gen-Xers age out of the hobby. Still, I'm sure it could be a good way to invest if you have a knack for picking the right books and selling them at the right time. I wouldn't recommend dumping everything you have into comics and holding them for thirty years. Guys could get away with that thirty years ago because the Boomers and Gen-Xers who dominated the hobby then and still dominate it now have seen their wealth and discretionary income increase dramatically during that time period. Because of that scenario, virtually everything has gone up in value exponentially.

The same thing could happen with Millenials and Zoomers, but I don't think that those generations will ever participate in the hobby at the same level as the Boomers and Gen-Xers. We older guys who grew up riding our bikes to the corner store to buy comic books off of the spinner racks carry a passion for the hobby that few of the younger guys will share—note that I didn't say none, I said few. There will continue to be passionate collectors, but I don't think that there will be enough of them to sustain the sort of prices that we see today.

facts. sad, but true

On 4/28/2024 at 11:50 AM, shadroch said:

I know 2 Comic Shop owners who did that except they did not have a gym... The shops were especially ripe in the summer.

There are so many more sound investments than Comics that are far far easier to liquidate with low fees.

On 4/28/2024 at 3:49 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

People can do what they want. I see comics as carrying too much long-term risk to be a safe investment because I don't think that demographics favor the growth of the hobby over the long haul. I think that demand could go down as the Boomers and Gen-Xers age out of the hobby. Still, I'm sure it could be a good way to invest if you have a knack for picking the right books and selling them at the right time. I wouldn't recommend dumping everything you have into comics and holding them for thirty years. Guys could get away with that thirty years ago because the Boomers and Gen-Xers who dominated the hobby then and still dominate it now have seen their wealth and discretionary income increase dramatically during that time period. Because of that scenario, virtually everything has gone up in value exponentially.

The same thing could happen with Millenials and Zoomers, but I don't think that those generations will ever participate in the hobby at the same level as the Boomers and Gen-Xers. We older guys who grew up riding our bikes to the corner store to buy comic books off of the spinner racks carry a passion for the hobby that few of the younger guys will share—note that I didn't say none, I said few. There will continue to be passionate collectors, but I don't think that there will be enough of them to sustain the sort of prices that we see today.

As a gen X'er I can get behind this theory. I myself have drastically cut back on purchases and even sold off a good amount of books as of late.