• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is something going on with the Post Office?
3 3

76 posts in this topic

I have multiple packages, both that I've shipped and that I'm waiting on, that are beyond the expected delivery date and seem to be stuck. Not all in the same region either - well, the ones shipped to me are, but the ones I shipped aren't. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this a heavy mail volume time for some reason? It just seems weird, I haven't had an issue like this before across so many incoming/outgoing packages at the same time...

“Ground Advantage” seems that ever since this was instated, packages are moving slower with spotty tracking. In all fairness, I have received several before their estimated delivery date as well. Priority Mail seems pretty stable at 2-3 days though.

On a local level, I have had the same carrier for a couple years. I buddied up with him and trained him to stash my packages in a spot where someone walking by couldn’t see. But I have had several new carriers in the past couple of months who just dump them on the front porch…

Ground Advantage is just First Class rebranded. It's the same service with the same speed. I've experienced zero problems since the change and no change in delivery times.

Something appears to be up with distribution recently though as numerous packages I've mailed out in the past week have been taking longer than normal, both Ground Advantage and Priority.

On 5/2/2024 at 9:59 AM, dick pontoon said:

Something appears to be up with distribution recently though as numerous packages I've mailed out in the past week have been taking longer than normal, both Ground Advantage and Priority.

Sorry to hear it, but it does make me feel better that it's not just me. My packages - both to and fro - have also been a mix of GA and Priority.

We sent documents out Priority Mail the first week in April to New York. For some unfathomable reason the package went to Puerto Rico and promptly vanished. We've talked to postal people in PR and they have no idea why it came there or where it went after they put it back into the system. We don't have warm fuzzy feelings for the USPS as of now.

Have you ever visited your local PO, or any PO for that matter? Check one out and you won't be surprised by poor service. Not a fan, but what are your options?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Had a package that went from FL to Utah, back to FL and is now in Montana to be delivered tomorrow. It was mailed April 20. Not sure if it's Priority or not, but something definitely going on at the Post Office if other people are having similar problems.

On 5/2/2024 at 1:10 PM, TheBigJ said:

Have you ever visited your local PO, or any PO for that matter? Check one out and you won't be surprised by poor service. Not a fan, but what are your options?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

My local post office is a P.O.S.  They wouldn't know anything about customer service if it hit 'em in the face.  Now the post office the next town over (about 8 miles)?  Immaculate. Super friendly customer service agents.  And more mailing supplies than you could ever ask for.  This is where I mail my packages from.  Definitely worth the extra few miles on the car.

I have a package that was sent to me from Las Vegas on the 6th.

Tracking showed it was accepted at USPS on the 6th, then...nothing.

Two days ago it popped back up as received in Memphis. This morning it updated to "your package is moving within the system but will be late."

It was so late that I've already had time to file an insurance claim, get it accepted and receive the check. I just can't cash it now that there's a chance the package will show.

Hopefully it will make it here...lots of nice toys inside!

On 5/2/2024 at 9:56 AM, Jesse-Lee said:

I have multiple packages, both that I've shipped and that I'm waiting on, that are beyond the expected delivery date and seem to be stuck. Not all in the same region either - well, the ones shipped to me are, but the ones I shipped aren't. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this a heavy mail volume time for some reason? It just seems weird, I haven't had an issue like this before across so many incoming/outgoing packages at the same time...

I've had multiple first class things take 12-14 days to get from Albany or Dutchess County NY to Manhattan (2-2.5 hour drive away), yet I mailed something up to Syracuse and it took 2 days. Go figure.

I've been sick to stomach about a box i sent last Wednesday. 25 cgc slabs from Florida to Texas, for lone star consignment. Sent priority mail insured, $90 postage. Was supposed to get there by last friday. So 6 days late,  but I do see update this morning that it made it to Arlington, TX so ... better late than never.

So I've had two packages lost by USPS in the last 3 months, one being a ASM 258 CGC 9.8. For that package, after two weeks past the delivery date I went to USPS distribution center in Forth Worth, that was the last place shown it was at according to the tracking at USPS.com. I left dumfounded. According to the postal worker the only package scan that was  real" was the package reception scan. Every other one on USPS tracking is some kind of ghost scan,  in this case the USPS.com tracking showed the package being in Fort Worth but the postal workers showed me in their system the only verifiable scan was the package reception in Phoenix AZ and that it never made it out of Phoenix, every other stop was a system generated scan, not a physical scan.  The postal working there told me to have the seller file a claim. Book never showed, what a bummer. 

I had a Priority package pinball between various cities for three weeks and a ground advantage that disappeared and was then returned to the sender. 

When they fill containers full of packages. They scan the container and that triggers a tracking update. When you see ping pong of tracking going back and forth. It’s possible your tracking is still attached to the container yet it’s not in the container any longer.  They also have been consolidating sorting centers here in fly over country, moving more mail to bigger facilities that are already short staffed. Shoving more mail into buildings that are stuffed to the rafters to the point of  it’s stored outside in mail truck trailers. 

• Administrator

Our post office will not allow us to pick up our mail.  It all has to be delivered.  

On 5/2/2024 at 8:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

Our post office will not allow us to pick up our mail.  It all has to be delivered.  

Wow, really? I live in a small town, so I will say that our post office service is actually really good, and I don't think my recent postal issues lie with them at all but with a broader apparent USPS issue. Are you in a larger, hub-type area? Or is it just their policy? I've definitely had our local office hold stuff for me for pickup.

• Administrator
On 5/2/2024 at 9:49 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Wow, really? I live in a small town, so I will say that our post office service is actually really good, and I don't think my recent postal issues lie with them at all but with a broader apparent USPS issue. Are you in a larger, hub-type area? Or is it just their policy? I've definitely had our local office hold stuff for me for pickup.

No, we are not in a hub type area.  We have asked multiple times and were told that no mail can be picked up.  It all has to be delivered.  I remember looking up the rules, and it seemed like they were breaking that one.

I'm not surprised to see all the messages here today.  I've had tracking absolutely ghost out on three eBay packages sent out this month (never had any problems before with Ground Advantage).  I went down to the post office and was told "tax season".  The packages were all sent on different days over a spread of a little longer than two weeks.

Of course buyers expect a quick refund even *if* the packages will make it to them eventually.  I guess it's the cost of doing business. I understand I can't file a claim with Ground Advantage for 45 days?  At least none of the items were truly "big ticket" books.

Liquidating some of my collectibles has not been the most joyful experience :makepoint:

On 5/2/2024 at 6:52 PM, CGC Mike said:

No, we are not in a hub type area.  We have asked multiple times and were told that no mail can be picked up.  It all has to be delivered.  I remember looking up the rules, and it seemed like they were breaking that one.

will they let you open up a PO Box?

The postal service is so short staffed and has been for sometime now.I often have to search for my packages if i want them safe all part of life at this point lol