• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live May 2024
3 3

161 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I found 2 or 3 small pieces, I might pick up one. It’s fun flipping through page after page of listings, I got through 64 sets of listings before I finally gave out. That’s a lot of art, usually one or two on each set was interesting enough to enlarge.

Good show, thanks to all of you sellers for posting!

Edited by gumbydarnit

On 5/12/2024 at 11:19 AM, skrilla1212 said:

There are some funky actors (I had to look up that Romita page on HA for myself, wild), but I do appreciate there are a lot of collector-first’s who are posting things at what they’d be willing to sell and/or maybe taking a swing based on auctions.

AND it’s the one day of the year the Donnelly’s have prices AND AND they are not too crazy in comparison to everything O.o

One thing which continuously annoys me is when a piece is posted of CAF Live at the identical price it has been listed previously for sale.  The same piece could be there for years, no matter. Same #%$&^%$ price.

On 5/12/2024 at 11:50 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Classic Donnelly:

I know it must be very upsetting to have to post art with prices, but then they post the same Rom page twice, at 2 different prices, just like the way they like to quote it to you every time you ask and the price changes. 

image.png.7fc3173244422520eb86e82a622d8ff9.png

image.png

From their perspective, it makes sense. If someone contacts them about a piece, they know they already have the fish half-hooked. Might as well try to catch it at the highest price they can.

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 12:30 PM, Andahaion said:

Pretty meh event for me this time. Made an offer that was a (what I thought) fair percent above what the piece sold for at auction last year. Was told that was a lull in the market and prices have “stabilized”. Which in this example meant about a 55% increase over said auction result. Who knows. Maybe. I wished him well and moved on. Sunday’s drop was very disappointing from where I sit. Onward and upward. 

You cut out the part where I told you I already had a higher offer. You offered me 5250 on a piece that I already have a 6k offer on.

Also, when you sent me your calculation based on what I paid and what you think it should go for (which is a weird way to try to buy something that belongs to someone else), you failed to include the taxes and shipping and extra fee I paid (by paying comiclink with a credit card). So, in all, you offered me 5250 on a piece I paid nearly 4700 for.

Edited by Fischb1

Posted (edited)

I should just fight my own battles and not look to wade into other peoples.  We all have our own negotiating styles and expectations

Edited by Sean I

On 5/12/2024 at 5:30 PM, Sean I said:

Leaving out the other offer you disclosed, was probably a good enough point.  The rest was really over egging the pudding.  Citing a previous public sale makes sense in negotiations.  Also why the hell should he pay your credit card fee and the bigger question, how on earth would he know to put that into the calculation you expected him to make?  You also expected him to know the sales tax in your state?

I'm saying that from his post alone, you would think he made a reasonable offer over the sales price I paid. 

But, anyone who's bought from an auction knows that there are all sorts of other taxes and fees involved, and if you think about that for a second, he would have realized that his offer wasn't very much over the sales price.

Also, what I did this CAL (and many others did as well), is put up pieces with a "make me sell it" price. Not pieces I necessarily want to sell, but pieces I'll sell if someone gives me a great price on. So, when he messaged me, I politely told him that I'd already been offered 6 (which is true), and that was it. I didn't expect to find a post about it on here. Once I did, yea, I'm going to show that the numbers on his offer never added up anyway. That clear enough for you?

Didn’t see anything that made me want to make an offer except one piece. But I’m heading to Lake Como, so decided not to. 

it sold really fast because I think the person who offered it underpriced it. 

I don’t understand the “make me an offer prices” thing at CAL. How is that any different than every other day on CAF? Did you actually get any of those offers on your pieces? 

On 5/12/2024 at 5:58 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I don’t understand the “make me an offer prices” thing at CAL. How is that any different than every other day on CAF? Did you actually get any of those offers on your pieces? 

Yes! I sold 4 pages. And I'm sad to see each of them go. But I'm putting it all towards a bigger purchase!

(And not to be pedantic, but they aren't make an offer prices, the price is already posted. They're make me sell it prices.)

On 5/12/2024 at 6:04 PM, Fischb1 said:

Yes! I sold 4 pages. And I'm sad to see each of them go. But I'm putting it all towards a bigger purchase!

(And not to be pedantic, but they aren't make an offer prices, the price is already posted. They're make me sell it prices.)

Right. I don’t know why I wrote that. LOL!

Well I’m glad you were able to sell some pieces. I guess we should all lay off the Donnellys from here on out.

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 6:07 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Right. I don’t know why I wrote that. LOL!

Well I’m glad you were able to sell some pieces. I guess we should all lay off the Donnellys from here on out.

In my own defense (as you compare me to the Donellys), if you watched me on Bill's show any of the 3 times I did amateur dueling dealers, I commonly sell art at cost or under my cost. Last time I did Dueling dealers I sold like 16k worth and I was negative 1k from what I'd spent on the art. I don't usually care or try to make a profit on art I sell. But my collection has been narrowed down so much (I own about 45 pages), that almost anything I'm selling now, I don't really want to sell. I guess it's possible that the Donellys feel that way about all their pieces? I don't know, I can't talk for them. 

Edited by Fischb1

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 6:18 PM, Fischb1 said:

In my own defense (as you compare me to the Donellys), if you watched me on Bill's show any of the 3 times I did amateur dueling dealers, I commonly sell art at cost or under my cost. Last time I did Dueling dealers I sold like 16k worth and I was negative 1k from what I'd spent on the art. I don't usually care or try to make a profit on art I sell. But my collection has been narrowed down so much (I own about 45 pages), that almost anything I'm selling now, I don't really want to sell. I guess it's possible that the Donellys feel that way about all their pieces? I don't know, I can't talk for them. 

Sounds like the old joke about the used car salesman who claimed he lost money on every sale, but he made it up in volume.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 5/12/2024 at 11:50 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

, at 2 different prices, just like the way they like to quote it to you every time you ask and the price changes. 

Better: every price is gamed like the gas station.

Nothing really stood out to me personally this time around, outside of a Brave and Bold #29 Flash page that I thought was pretty cool (I think I saw that page in the Comic Art Live?)