• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone thing there is a need for a newbie want to buy section?
2 2

Does anyone thing there is a need for a newbie want to buy section?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need a newbie want to buy forum?

• Yes, we need one for people under 100 posts
    • Yes, we need one for users under 50 posts
    • No, we do not need one.
    • Crack

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 05/30/2024 at 05:00 PM

41 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hi

I am seeing several WTB posts from users making their first post.  Does anyone else think there is a need for a newbie WTB section for low post count users?  There are users who do not post much at all, and I am sure they would appreciate having this forum.  What do you think? 

This is exactly my situation regarding posting. I joined recently but never post. And I didn’t want to just make posts to reach the minimum to see the WTB forum.

On 5/12/2024 at 8:12 AM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

I am seeing several WTB posts from users making their first post.  Does anyone else think there is a need for a newbie WTB section for low post count users?  There are users who do not post much at all, and I am sure they would appreciate having this forum.  What do you think? 

I'm not sure I understand the question - are low post count users unable to see the current WTB forum? If so, you are considering making another section for them to be able to post in? Or just allowing them into the current forum?

On 5/12/2024 at 10:59 PM, ttfitz said:

I'm not sure I understand the question - are low post count users unable to see the current WTB forum? If so, you are considering making another section for them to be able to post in? Or just allowing them into the current forum?

I believe you need to have at least 50 posts to be able to see the sales forums. Mike did this to combat scamming and spamming.

Would it be possible to allow those with fewer than 50 posts to see the WTB Forum, but not post there?  And by "possible" I mean "without making a bunch of extra work and monitoring for Mike."  That would at least allow them to educate themselves about how it works and offer books to posters through PMs until they reach 50 posts.

I voted "no" as I think the effort against scammers was needed and appears to be working.

I voted no because it is supposed to be a community, not just a place to pop in to score a book. I know there are exceptions of there being long term members that just prefer not to post. Maybe 50 posts or a year on the boards?

On 5/12/2024 at 11:17 PM, Tarboosh said:

I have been a member for years and often read and browse but never post. It would be great to see the WTB category. I guess this post will get me one closer to 50…

My grandfather would have liked you as he always taught “if you keep your mouth shut and your ears open you might learn something”. 

• Administrator
On 5/12/2024 at 11:58 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Would it be possible to allow those with fewer than 50 posts to see the WTB Forum, but not post there?  And by "possible" I mean "without making a bunch of extra work and monitoring for Mike."  That would at least allow them to educate themselves about how it works and offer books to posters through PMs until they reach 50 posts.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this.  Here's a few screenshots.  I could create a separate group for 49 posts or less and check see and read but, the permissions shown in the 3rd screenshot will still prevent them from seeing the forum.  Also, I do not think the system would be able to distinguish how many posts user has within that group and incorporate it into the permissions.

image.png

image.png

image.png

On 5/13/2024 at 8:55 AM, CGC Mike said:

It really isn't that hard to make 50 legitimate posts.  However, I will not allow a new user to spend 10 minutes posting emojis just to hit 50.  If they are caught, their post count will be reset to 1.

Fully agree there! That’s why I said strike up a conversation or post your opinion. (thumbsu

On 5/12/2024 at 9:59 PM, ttfitz said:

Working from a faulty memory, you need 50 posts and the blessing of @CGC Mike under some iffy "rules" that are not actually rules but unofficial guidelines (this is probably from before his time as I remember having to make posts back in the day as well). The problem as I see it, is that the rules are not posted anywhere in addition to new members being able to see and post in the selling forums. This comes across to someone new as counter intuitive so they post in various subforums with WTB threads, only to get admonished for not following rules they don't know about. Even a savvy newb that finds the "THE NOOB GUIDE" will be greeted by dead links (seller guide) but no mention of a WTB forum.

For the record, I voted no. We don't need a new forum, we either need a clear set of posting rules or let new members post in the WTB forum and the community will police itself.

• Administrator
On 5/12/2024 at 10:59 PM, ttfitz said:

Sorry I missed this earlier.  Yes, the WTB forum is not visible to users until they reach 50 posts.  This is due to scammers making a legitimate first post (I changed the settings requiring approval of the first post, and 0 post users can no longer send PM's).  After doing so, they would head to the want to buy section, send a PM to the person that has the WTB thread, and offer the forum member a book that they do not own.  Thus, trying to scam them with a picture of a book that they have swiped off from the internet. 

Since I changed the settings where a first post had to be approved, and not allowing people under 50 posts to have access, I have not received 1 complaint regarding someone trying to scam a forum member in the manner I posted above.  I was debating on whether or not a sub forum for WTB posts should be created.  The reason being, is there is a fair amount of users making their first post as a WTB post.  

Posted (edited)

This is a community.  Why should we bend or change rules for people who choose not to be a part of it?  That is their option- if someone wants to sit back and not participate.  The rules are in place to protect the community.   Participate or don't. It's your choice. Don't expect the privileges that come with participation if you choose not to participate.  I'm not sure what is problematic about that.

Perhaps you could make it 50 posts or six months of membership for those too shy to post in public. That would eliminate most scammers and allow long-time lurkers to participate.  

We had a problem. The Moderator implemented a system that he says eliminated that problem.  Why undo it?

Edited by shadroch

On 5/13/2024 at 5:31 PM, CGC Mike said:

The reason being, is there is a fair amount of users making their first post as a WTB post.  

Mike, where do they make this first post if the WTB forum is invisible to them, and what do you do with them assuming they are posted in a forum other than WTB?

If you create the sub forum, what is to stop a scammer joining up to scam the newbie in the same way as they did the regular forum?

• Administrator
On 5/13/2024 at 1:00 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Mike, where do they make this first post if the WTB forum is invisible to them?

They make them in various forums.  Modern Age, Bronze age ect...  

what do you do with them assuming they are posted in a forum other than WTB?

This is a good question, and I am looking for feedback regarding this.  I started out moving their post to the WTB section if it was a new thread.  Then, I would send them a PM stating I did so and people may contact them if they had what they were looking for, and explaining about the minimum 50 post requirement.

If it was in another thread, I would approve the post, quickly move it out of public view, and send them a notice explaining the 50 post minimum rule.  I suppose I could move it to the WTB section, edit the title and still send them a PM.

• Administrator

If you create the sub forum, what is to stop a scammer joining up to scam the newbie in the same way as they did the regular forum?

That is a good point.  

On 5/13/2024 at 6:34 PM, CGC Mike said:

That is a good point.  

Yes, sorry about that. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, it sort of invalidates the proposal, doesn't it.