• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,692 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2024 at 11:45 AM, DanJD said:

Except the original scan from after the signing that was already provided did not have all of this damage which is now permanent.  That after signing picture is post pressing as well.  People can keep trying to convince themselves and others everything is fine and to keep damaging books.  IMO if you are aware of the issue and keep submitting, the damage is your problem.  

I very much agree with you about the damage being your problem if you continue to sub. That's why I'm sending a few books to test wither or not this is going to be an ongoing thing. Is it stupid?? yeah it is. But I have to know if this will continue. 

On 8/14/2024 at 11:45 AM, DanJD said:

Except the original scan from after the signing that was already provided did not have all of this damage which is now permanent.  That after signing picture is post pressing as well.  People can keep trying to convince themselves and others everything is fine and to keep damaging books.  IMO if you are aware of the issue and keep submitting, the damage is your problem.  

Do you have an after pressing/preslabbing scan? 

I'm not denying there is a problem, but you might not be comparing apples to apples.

On 8/14/2024 at 8:49 AM, DanJD said:

Yes.  My avengers 8 was warped, but again, it was graded a 4.5.  The spine was fairly soft already and you can’t even see the rippling on the cover.  But the spine from the side profile is bowed. 

Yeah I mean a bent well is a bent well, regardless of whether it's pronounced enough to see rippling. A lot of the moderns I have that have a bent well, the bend is very slight. Wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't looking for it. But I have yet to see a modern that has a completely flat well from the last several months of grading and plenty of vintage that are totally flat. I just don't get it. 

On 8/14/2024 at 10:52 AM, GACollectibles said:

I'm not denying there is a problem, but you might not be comparing apples to apples.

The original CGC scan before they repressed and reholdered it a second time is all I have which IMO does not look like the other pictures and do not see all of that color breaking that is now very obvious.IMG_1426.thumb.jpeg.f488f030556c4e89a39217dcdb3e3f1e.jpeg

On 8/14/2024 at 10:52 AM, GACollectibles said:

This is the best before and after I can pinpoint.  This is from Wolverine’s shoulder on the cover.  Two pics are after the signing.  I don’t care if there was a tick/dent in both. Clearly one has a color break and the other doesn’t.  The third pic was from before the signing without the tick/dent at all.  The non color breaking tick/dent was caused by either CGCs poor handling during the signing event or the inner well warp.  But the color break was for sure after the signing and grading from the inner well warp.  

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1684.png

IMG_1686.jpeg

On 8/14/2024 at 1:10 PM, DanJD said:

This is the best before and after I can pinpoint.  This is from Wolverine’s shoulder on the cover.  Two pics are after the signing.  I don’t care if there was a tick/dent in both. Clearly one has a color break and the other doesn’t.  The third pic was from before the signing without the tick/dent at all.  The non color breaking tick/dent was caused by either CGCs poor handling during the signing event or the inner well warp.  But the color break was for sure after the signing and grading from the inner well warp.  

IMG_1685.jpeg

IMG_1684.png

IMG_1686.jpeg

And to clarify further, I do think CGC mishandled my book during the signing event causing damage and it to fall from a graded 9.8 to a 9.6. But the warped inner well dropped the Stone Cold Stunner on my book as CGCs finishing move. 

On 8/14/2024 at 5:54 PM, Number 6 said:

My impression is a sizable number already have that policy, which probably contributes to the “nothing-to-see-here” attitude about this. 

I suspect that if buyers started forcing returns through e Bay or their credit card company over this issue these same sellers will suddenly get the Jesus-juice on this actually being a problem and that CGC do something about it. 

CCCCHHHHHAAAARRRRGGGGEEEEBACKS!

image.png.46203998913f26466624ecbb6f394753.png

Use them!  Use them for purchase of Goods or SERVICES. Especially with Chase, Amex and BOA who have the most sway especially the former!

Edited by MAR1979

I swear to christ the older cgc slabs were a lot harder to crack. It's not even close. The last two came apart in my hands but this baby split like glass! I couldn't believe it. 

Anyway, my one book will be headed out to Florida tomorrow.  You have one job cgc , so get it done. 

On 8/13/2024 at 10:53 PM, Ninja0215 said:

Is this science class now?? Are we doing science? 

Quantum physics at cgc university.  

"It's not science, Sonny, it's strictly business."

Edited by Stuk

On 8/12/2024 at 11:40 PM, LordRahl said:

That would make sense if, as someone hypothesized earlier in this thread, the cause of the warping is pressure being exerted on the inner well by the new more tamper evident method of sealing the case. Crack the case, relieve the pressure, inner well goes back to being flat which is its natural state.

Has it been established that this problem is only post-reholder scam? I (and I think others) have numerous slabs from 2023 that have this "problem." Of course, trying to determine the cause is important but only if it helps solve the problem, in my view. If we're looking at heat sealing post reholder scam as the cause, then I think we (actually, it should be CGC) should be barking up a different, earlier tree. None of my 2022 and earlier slabs have this issue. Hm? (I still think the inconsistency of it suggests human error.) 

On 8/14/2024 at 5:09 PM, Stuk said:

Has it been established that this problem is only post-reholder scam? I (and I think others) have numerous slabs from 2023 that have this "problem." Of course, trying to determine the cause is important but only if it helps solve the problem, in my view. If we're looking at heat sealing post reholder scam as the cause, then I think we (actually, it should be CGC) should be barking up a different, earlier tree. None of my 2022 and earlier slabs have this issue. Hm? (I still think the inconsistency of it suggests human error.) 

But it's only inconsistent between age of books. So far, EVERY modern I've submitted in the last few months is bent. Every. Single. One. Most of them very slightly and some pretty bad. But it's across the board. I have yet to see a pic of a completely flat inner well on a modern submission from the last few months. If someone would like to post one, please do and prove me wrong. The consistency within the moderns is exactly why I can't imagine this is human error. I don't think anything has been "established", I think all we have is conjecture at this point and I don't think we'll ever know the exact cause because CGC won't tell us and they are really the only ones that can figure out exactly what is going on. We don't have the required info.