• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,692 posts in this topic

• Merchants generally only win 20-30% of chargeback disputes. 

Yes u can be banned by a merchant if dispute filed is fraudulent. For legit claims its a tad hazy but short answer is Yes they can.

In more case than not for a merchant like CGC, banning someone will result in significant loss of likely future revenue compared to drop in the ocean for them amount of the chargeback. It just bad business plain and simple over a single dispute.

Well run businesses never react emotionally they react according to an actuarial type of calculation. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/22/2024 at 8:40 PM, Berkfam54 said:

Yes. 2 of my books came back this way and because of it even though they’re 9.8’s they have creases from the sides and it doesn’t look good. I didn’t want to post about it because I just got them back but yes I am not happy they’re done lay flat in there and they don’t present well from the side because of it. What’s weird is you can’t tell from looking at it from the top/front. Only from the side. 

IMG_4679.jpeg

IMG_4678.jpeg

Screen Shot 2024-08-16 at 12.15.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-08-16 at 12.14.47 PM.png

Is this something that I should send back in @CGC Mike for Mechanical Error or are those considered acceptable? I honestly don't know I'm just wondering. There is one book I didn't even post that had similar issues and none were sent in looking like that. So 3 out of the 5 I submitted came back with those issues. 

• Administrator
On 8/23/2024 at 1:37 PM, Berkfam54 said:

Is this something that I should send back in @CGC Mike for Mechanical Error or are those considered acceptable? I honestly don't know I'm just wondering. There is one book I didn't even post that had similar issues and none were sent in looking like that. So 3 out of the 5 I submitted came back with those issues. 

Hi

You would need to contact customer service regarding this.  I would recommend sending them an e-mail at Service@CGCcomics.com

Mike

On 8/23/2024 at 4:00 PM, Stefan_W said:

46 pages of discussion and not one person so far has mentioned how the bend in the inner well completely resolved the Newton ring issue.

Talk about negative Nellies. 

Sort of how AIDS "cured" Herpes , in terms of public perception

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/15/2024 at 9:27 AM, CGC Mike said:

@LordRahl  CGC identified a batch of inner wells that were warped and removed from production, but it appears that these got through. Please send the affected books back via Mechanical Error and they’ll be taken care of.

Hi,

I just got back a few submission and mine is cured from the top. How do I get this fixed ?

On 8/23/2024 at 6:36 PM, Daytrader2021 said:

Hi,

I just got back a few submission and mine is cured from the top. How do I get this fixed ?

Send an email to service@cgccomics.com. Include pictures of the front, back, and side of the book showing the issues. Describe what you feel is wrong. See what they come back with.

On 8/23/2024 at 6:49 PM, electricprune said:

Send an email to service@cgccomics.com. Include pictures of the front, back, and side of the book showing the issues. Describe what you feel is wrong. See what they come back with.

If there are no new spine ticks but the comic is not flat, is that ok ?

On 8/23/2024 at 7:00 PM, Daytrader2021 said:

Anyone got theirs in a case that is completely flat ?

It seems to mostly be happening in Modern submissions, with a few exceptions. The Moderns seem to be hit or miss. Some are flat, some are bowed, some are bowed and damaged.

As a comic presser, I need CGC to succeed and rely on their ability to uphold their reputation as THE source for accurate grading.  Unfortunately, I received my own modern submissions of pressed books back this week and 6 out of 50 had significant and noticeable new spine creases that are not appropriate for the 9.8/9.6 grades received. Almost all inner wells had some identifiable bend but not all books had obvious damage (at this time). The bending wells are exacerbating inherent weaknesses in some spines and sometimes causing new color breaks (or texture changes) at those spine bends.  

This leads to many concerns not the least of which is that if this issue is not resolved quickly there will be a lot of books in 9.8 and 9.6 cases that are not worthy of those grades which will severely impact the credibility of CGC.  Books that did not have color breaks are being permanently damaged by these bent wells - the way the light reflects off the books can be repaired in most scenarios, the color breaks and texture changes in cardstock covers will be persistent.

From a personal standpoint, how will my customers feel about my work - which I take tremendous pride in - if they receive books back from CGC that look like the books that I received back this week?  Would you use me again?  I felt that it was necessary to share my own experience with my submission with my customers so they are aware and give consideration to the current situation before submitting at this time even though it will obviously impact my workload and financial health. I care about my reputation as a reliable, skilled presser and want my customers to be happy with the service that I (and CGC) provide. 

I am praying that CGC takes this as the most serious risk to their company and puts all effort into resolving this as soon as possible.  I look forward to telling my customers that it is safe to submit books again.    

Ron, The PalmBeachPresser

316.jpg

607-1.jpg

EM.jpg

ST2.jpg

TG1.jpg

On 8/23/2024 at 4:22 PM, Palm Beach Presser said:

As a comic presser, I need CGC to succeed and rely on their ability to uphold their reputation as THE source for accurate grading.

CGC's grading has been unreliable long before this issue. 

On 8/23/2024 at 1:37 PM, Berkfam54 said:

Don't bother sending it back until we know the issue is resolved. The books will just come back in slabs with more warped inner wells.