• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,703 posts in this topic

On 8/27/2024 at 9:14 AM, Stefan_W said:

This is a great approach that provides really helpful information. Only showing the "after" pictures is limited since you cant see how a book looked beforehand, and pre-pressing photos are especially useful because ideally (if the resolution is good enough) you can see flaws that the presser fixed prior to submission. 

Before CGC signing event:IMG_1686.thumb.jpeg.c21663b8f2f29a559bff9d7316d0dea6.jpeg

After signing, grading and encapsulation scan:IMG_1685.thumb.jpeg.7d72dd638d9a677bc33572b9391f128d.jpeg

After I got it back in the warped inner well:IMG_1684.thumb.png.2849e54abdeb43a2dbba751133ef0c8f.png

• Administrator
On 8/27/2024 at 10:18 AM, electricprune said:

Mike, I’m asking you this but not directing it at you.

If CGC has “not seen any impact to the condition of any book,” why are they taking any books back at all?

If they are taking some books back, why are they not taking all books affected back if requested?

Sorry but, I will not be able to answer any questions.  I can only post a statement when I am given one to post.

On 8/27/2024 at 8:05 AM, lostboys said:

"...we have not seen any impact to the condition of encapsulated books."

Straight up LYING!

(tsk)

We have not acknowledged any impact to the condition of encapsulated books, because in doing so would make us liable to pay out damages which we don’t have an interest in doing. 

…Is I’d imagine a tad more accurate. 

I'm way behind on this because I haven't had a submission in two years, but I currently have a book for grading.  Is this occurring with all slabs or just a few?  Has CGC announced they're making changes or is this getting brushed under the rug?  Kinda nervous about my submissions now.

On 8/27/2024 at 12:12 PM, CGC Mike said:

Sorry but, I will not be able to answer any questions.  I can only post a statement when I am given one to post.

Thanks, Mike. I know you can only do so much here. If possible, can you run this by Matt, Harshen or CS. I think they are fair questions that customers deserve answers for.

To recap:

CGC was made aware of this issue AT LEAST 4 months ago, if not longer.

CGC reluctantly agreed to accept SOME of these books back for an ME reholder, BUT DID NOT FIX THE ROOT PROBLEM.

CGC then began telling its customers that the bend was "normal" and "within tolerance." 100% lies.

CGC was then forced to issue a public statement ONLY when notable influencers in the community began to take notice and ask questions.

CGC's statement is basically a non-statement that says they are "aware" of the problem (no kidding) and are "trying to replicate it" (go to the encapsulation room and see for yourself) while also trying to downplay the existence of damages for liability reasons.

What a joke. 

On 8/27/2024 at 12:53 PM, MadGenius said:

To recap:

CGC was made aware of this issue AT LEAST 4 months ago, if not longer.

CGC reluctantly agreed to accept SOME of these books back for an ME reholder, BUT DID NOT FIX THE ROOT PROBLEM.

CGC then began telling its customers that the bend was "normal" and "within tolerance." 100% lies.

CGC was then forced to issue a public statement ONLY when notable influencers in the community began to take notice and ask questions.

CGC's statement is basically a non-statement that says they are "aware" of the problem (no kidding) and are "trying to replicate it" (go to the encapsulation room and see for yourself) while also trying to downplay the existence of damages for liability reasons.

What a joke. 

The notable influencers part is spot on.  Great summary.

On 8/27/2024 at 12:29 PM, ExNihilo said:

I'm way behind on this because I haven't had a submission in two years, but I currently have a book for grading.  Is this occurring with all slabs or just a few?  Has CGC announced they're making changes or is this getting brushed under the rug?  Kinda nervous about my submissions now.

A large amount of books in the Modern category seem to be impacted by this.  It is less common apparently in Vintage.  If the book has a warped inner well, some books may just need to be removed from the slab to revert back over time and others such as the ones shown by me and other people experience color breaking spine stress.  There is no evidence this has been resolved.  People are still posting their newly received books are still coming back warped.  CGCs most recent statement says they are aware of people’s concerns but don’t admit it’s a problem or that it is damaging the books.  Good luck.  

Here is the damage that was done to one of my books that I submitted in May.  I know this was not there when I sent this in for the pre-screen.  I have other books that show some bending (from that same submission), but those are much more minor... luckily.  But this one... well, I was planning to sell this book. However now I cant really do that because I'm pretty sure someone would be really pissed to buy a 9.8 and see this on it.  =(

PXL_20240823_170411419.jpg

PXL_20240823_170803589.jpg

PXL_20240823_170953644.jpg

On 8/27/2024 at 10:23 AM, MAY1979 said:

As was stated here by another member - my apologies to them as I cant seem to find the post - having 9.0 and 9.2 books in 9.6 or 9.8 holders is what rendered PGX totally irrelevant.

History is littered with mentions of those previously considered "too big to fail" or "unsinkable" or "undefeatable".   Do we have a potential fresh Oreo coming next year to replace our crumbling Hydrox ?

The quote came from my IG post on 8/23!  Thanks for mentioning & remembering it   ;-)