• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,696 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2024 at 1:34 AM, DaveSFU said:

My books have been with CGC for over a month now in ME.   CS has told me multiple times theres nothing wrong, they arent damaged, wells not bent, theres no issue at all and theyre sorry if thats not what i want to hear.   But the books are still sitting there.  Very much sick of dealing with CS and wish someone in any position of authority would talk to me

So they won’t fix them and they won’t return them to you???  Maybe they think if enough time goes by you’ll just forget about them.

On 8/27/2024 at 8:23 PM, Stefan_W said:

The three inner wells below were the bent ones for the books I cracked yesterday for my video. They are still just as bent after about 30 hours, which is expected since the plastic is rigid. 

Is there a link to your video?

Keep in mind that color breaking bends are not magically healed by removing a book from a slab.

In addition why on earth bother to submit if you must crack out??  Absolute waste of money!

On 8/28/2024 at 12:15 AM, ChrispyC66 said:

I know I’m really, really, really late to respond to this post. But  I just watched YT video tonight, about this post. I had assumed this problem was resolved last year.

FWIW - I posted about this problem, on these boards, in June of last year, about two of my May orders in ‘23. I received 13 of 15 slabs in one order and 3 of 10 slabs in another order with improperly sealed slabs and a noticeable bowl shape to the books, some with damage.

Because of the 14 day ME policy, I quickly returned the damaged slabs and requested them to be re-pressed and re-slabbed. They were re-slabbed and returned. Here was my original post, hopefully it won’t be deleted.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/350613-where-in-the-world-was-the-quality-control-at-cgc/page/262/#elControls_12827591_menu

I have had ~75-100 books slabbed since the May ‘23 orders and all those slabs were fine. 

This is crazy. This may now go back to  at least May of ‘23.

On 8/27/2024 at 9:39 PM, electricprune said:

Here is a picture of the bottom of mine. I believe it was RMA and bc that hinted at the parabolic shape the book is now in. I believe it is putting the top of the spine in compression, and that is causing the front cover to bend, crease, and show the gulleys. The back of the cover is actually being put into tension, and that is why we are not seeing the damage on the back covers. The open edge is far less susceptible to the damage.

Stefan’s picture of the well still showing the curving a day later tends to back this up.

Where are our structural engineers? They can explain this far better than I can.

IMG_2339.jpeg

2c  Not a structural engineer, but could it be that the increased amount of ultrasonic welding is transferring a small amount of heat to the edges of the inner sleeve? This would cause expansion of the inner sleeve in a "fixed" area within the outer slab which would create the parabolic effect.

-bc

On 8/28/2024 at 8:57 AM, electricprune said:

Joe, does this one have some very minor spine ticking? Also, what is that at the top of the bottom staple?

IMG_6921.jpeg

IMG_6920.jpeg

On 8/28/2024 at 7:16 AM, joeypost said:

If someone wants to send me a few books with warped inner wells I would be happy to crack them, review what I see here on the boards and press the book for free. 

I would almost be tempted but the 2 books I have most say can't be pressed. ( Venom Lethal Protector 1). Both of these are slightly bent with ticks in the same spot.

On 8/28/2024 at 9:05 AM, bc said:

2c  Not a structural engineer, but could it be that the increased amount of ultrasonic welding is transferring a small amount of heat to the edges of the inner sleeve? This would cause expansion of the inner sleeve in a "fixed" area within the outer slab which would create the parabolic effect.

-bc

Yes, this is certainly a possibility. Especially if both the inner sleeve and out shell are expanding.

Something I honestly don’t know… is it 100% known that the slabs are heat welded?

On 8/28/2024 at 10:07 AM, electricprune said:

Yes, this is certainly a possibility. Especially if both the inner sleeve and out shell are expanding.

Something I honestly don’t know… is it 100% known that the slabs are heat welded?

From this old thread, it sounds like ultrasonic welding (which does generate localized heat) is used to seal the outer well.

-bc