• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
23 23

1,668 posts in this topic

On 9/10/2024 at 7:28 AM, mikenyc said:

Taking detailed photos of every book before being submitted has clearly become a necessity.

until they start claiming the before photo's are doctored or obscured.  If you do not think they will then clearly you do not understand whom you are truly dealing with. As proven by their statements, they will say and do anything to protect every cent of their bottom line.

Edited by MAY1979

On 9/10/2024 at 7:44 AM, MAY1979 said:

until they start claiming the before photo's are doctored or obscured.  If you do not think they will then clearly you do not understand whom you are truly dealing with. As proven by their statements, they will say and do anything to protect every cent of their bottom line.

I had detailed before photos that showed the damage the new process caused.  They said it must have happened in shipping as they could tie it to their non-specific, kinda vague grader's notes.  You know, the comics that are shipped bagged, boarded, flat with other comics, in a flat heavy-duty box...must have been bent and creased during shipping.  This after a ten-book modern submission came back looking like crinkle cut potato chips (all ten mechanical errors).  Needless to say, won't be submitting for a while, if ever again.

On 9/10/2024 at 8:57 AM, Wintersgate said:

I had detailed before photos that showed the damage the new process caused.  They said it must have happened in shipping as they could tie it to their non-specific, kinda vague grader's notes.  You know, the comics that are shipped bagged, boarded, flat with other comics, in a flat heavy-duty box...must have been bent and creased during shipping.  This after a ten-book modern submission came back looking like crinkle cut potato chips (all ten mechanical errors).  Needless to say, won't be submitting for a while, if ever again.

Am I understanding correctly, you’re last sub went 10 for 10 for MEs and CGC actually said to send them back?

Edited by electricprune

On 9/5/2024 at 5:24 PM, VintageComics said:

Also, I'm not sure of how CGC is set up internally, but you may well have different teams working on vintage books (pre 1975) and modern books (post 1975). Are they the same encapsulation teams? I have no idea. 

What do you think? 

Here is an interesting factoid. I suspended sending Modern books to CGC until I am satisfied that the issues have been cleared up. As a part of this I had to let people who giving me books to press and send for grading know about the pause. As it turns out a couple of them are sending books elsewhere to pressers who are still sending Modern submissions in. 

So if people are thinking CGC is losing a lot of business over this, I am sure they are but maybe not as much as some may assume. 

On 9/10/2024 at 9:34 AM, electricprune said:

Am I understanding correctly, you’re last sub went 10 for 10 for MEs and CGC actually said to send them back?

Yes, my last modern sub was 10 books.  After several photos sent to CS I was told to send all ten back as mechanical errors.  The books were potato chipped vertically an dI believe they all went through CCS.  This was in January of this year. 

The book with the before photos was from my last overall submission, a vintage one in April.  The damage / issues with that book (and a couple others) are the same as the issues others have had in this thread.  New spine ticks, bending causing stress.  I mentioned to CS at the time that this was going to be a large issue for them going forward if they didn't fix it and it appeared related to the new encapsulation, but they didn't seem to take me seriously.

Edited by Wintersgate

On 9/10/2024 at 11:00 AM, Wintersgate said:

Yes, my last modern sub was 10 books.  After several photos sent to CS I was told to send all ten back as mechanical errors.  The books were potato chipped vertically an dI believe they all went through CCS.  This was in January of this year. 

The book with the before photos was from my last overall submission, a vintage one in April.  The damage / issues with that book (and a couple others) are the same as the issues others have had in this thread.  New spine ticks, bending causing stress.  I mentioned to CS at the time that this was going to be a large issue for them going forward if they didn't fix it and it appeared related to the new encapsulation, but they didn't seem to take me seriously.

Wow, so they were from January. Do you remember if the inner wells were bowed?

On 9/10/2024 at 10:56 AM, Number 6 said:

FFS

So you told them about this issue and why you’re suspending Modern submissions and their response is just to send the books to someone else who will still submit Moderns?

I guess I can’t say I’m surprised. A wise poster here once said that comic collectors behave like crack addicts. 

CGC may not be the 3rd party grading service collectors need…but it’s the 3rd party grading service collectors like this deserve. 

To frame it a bit differently, some people have dozens of books that they received this year with bends in the inner well that they did not notice. So the bend is simply not a problem, and if they did not have any damage the issue is a non-issue in their eyes. For me, I am suspending submissions because selling a clean book with a bent well may be problematic, and there are many stories of damage that I want to avoid in future submissions. So I dont see any value to taking a risk, while people who are not really impacted by damages dont care about any of this an will continue on as usual (until they end up with books that are damaged, I guess). 

As usual, people who say "bend = damage" are going to get upset by this point, but everyone makes their own decisions on tolerance for what is going on with the slabs. 

On 9/10/2024 at 11:23 AM, electricprune said:

Wow, so they were from January. Do you remember if the inner wells were bowed?

Honestly, the bowed wells are from the VIntage Books in April.  I sent photos of the worst two Vintage books, and the photos didn't matter. 

The Modern books were warped in the other direction, like the machine was set for smaller, current books (all my moderns were before 1995).  I think I was more setting the stage for issues involving the April submission books which mirrors what others experienced in the topic (I think three or four of the twelve had the horizontal bowing issue, though some seemed slightly bowed in the center like there was extra pressure on the edges.  

Looking at the photos again, I kinda see the beginning of something if I zoom in really, really close.  Also, the book looks a bit worse in person.

Magnus Robot 6 Pre Submission.jpg

Magnus 6 Collapsed.jpg

Magnus 6 Collapsed Paper.jpg

Edited by Wintersgate

On 9/10/2024 at 10:23 AM, Stuk said:

Remember the awesome anticipation and rush of not knowing your CGC grades, getting that CGC box in the mail, and then unboxing them for the big reveal(s)? What a rush! Now . . .  it's more like dread anticipation. First, you'll see your grade and either be elated or disappointed or "whatever," and then immediately, the dread . . . as you inspect the spine side for stress and ticks and slowly turn the book on its side to see if it is bowed in the inner well. (Not to mention the added dread of going back and looking at all your earlier 43 and 44 books over the past two years. You already know the "grades"; but now you have to check the reality.) 

I've never had the discipline to do this. I'm one of the guys hitting F5 on my browser every 5 minutes once they go to QC. I actually wish I could do what you are describing because it sounds like it would be a lot of fun. And also agree, they (CGC) have currently sort of taken the fun out of it.