• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,696 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2024 at 11:09 AM, Skytripa said:

What throws more mystery into this. I have a book that the CGC pictures shows 0 spine ticks. When I got it had multiple. So sometime after they took the pictures and shipped to me they got ticks.

CGC picture from their website.

image.png.5f728a56524937b6d6cdc401ea199a18.png

Pic right after I got it.

image.png.4f91c79b2bd96ad5d6a8d8a2806c45d5.png

Mine is similar to yours, but not as bad. It’s so hard to tell if your book had a minute bend in those locations, but it definitely wasn’t as bad as you received it. Sorry to see that.

What is the grade on the slab?

On 9/16/2024 at 10:17 AM, electricprune said:

Mine is similar to yours, but not as bad. It’s so hard to tell if your book had a minute bend in those locations, but it definitely wasn’t as bad as you received it. Sorry to see that.

What is the grade on the slab?

Came back a 9.2 It was one of two that where sent back. Currently getting pressed/regraded.(CGC taking care of it).

On 9/16/2024 at 11:23 AM, Skytripa said:

Came back a 9.2 It was one of two that where sent back. Currently getting pressed/regraded.(CGC taking care of it).

Good. I’m glad they are taking care of you, as they should.

But this brings up my question from earlier in the thread. If the slabs/process/bending are not causing damage, why are they taking any books back? If they are taking only some books back, why? If they are taking some books back, why are they not taking all books back if requested and if they have noticeable bends, creases, and color breaks?

@CGC Mike can you see if you can get reasoning behind this?

So today I sold my Strange Academy #1 signed by Ramos and Delgado at a loss.

Why? Because I can never risk getting it signed by Skottie Young without taking a grade hit due to this problem the company filled with people who apparently love collecting as much as we do. What a joke. I think what they meant to say was that they love getting paid by us so they can buy books that they know are absolutely high quality and get personal care because they are employed by the company. Speculation of course, but typically supervisors and senior directors get the best stuff. 

It also really bothers my OCD to look across the room at it on the wall and know that that is there. 

I own about 30 slabs, but this was the first book I've ever sent in. And up until I saw this problem it was the only one out of four that didn't have some nightmarish screw up I had to deal with. But thanks to this problem, cgc has now made it four for four f*** ups for me. 

What used to be excitement about sending in further books and getting more signatures is now something that I can't take part in without having to stress (lol) and worry about every single thing I send in. Especially after being treated the way I was by a senior director and lead supervisor of the signature series. 

Here's the order of events I've dealt with. 

This book, which seemed fine till now. I was super stoked to get it back. Not so much now. 

Book 2 Batman 655 I had some weird financial issues come up and when it hit my bank account to charge it the funds weren't there. That's entirely my fault. I was going to get it rectified but wasn't sure if it would take a few days or a week and a half, so I asked them how long I had or what would happen if it wasn't there before the signing. 

They said if the funds weren't in there when the signing happened it wouldn't be signed. So I asked approximately how long I had to get that taken care of because the submission date had passed so the signing could have been taking place the next day or 3 weeks later. 

They said they couldn't tell me, so I said well if I have no idea how soon I need to fix this by there's a good possibility that the signing will happen and then what happens? They honestly wouldn't tell me if it would get graded and pressed or if it would just sit there or what I had to pay for after that. If it was going to miss being signed I didn't want to pay for a new grade and press because it was already graded. So it wouldn't make sense for them to break it open and redo it.

What they DID tell me is that it was in the fine print that they would not be sending me my book back and that they will retain possession of it till all fees are paid. 

But they wouldn't tell me what fees I may have to be paying...

After almost 3 months I got it back. During that time I was told that it just needed to be sent back because it was still in the original slab with its original grade and I should get it in a couple weeks.
Then they ran another charge attempt on my account out of the blue and overdrew it... And it took them 10 days to refund that money. During which time I accumulated 50 bucks in overdraft fees. But because of this screw up they decided to get my book back to me instead of keeping it till I paid some fees for something.

Couple weeks went by so I checked back and was told that it had been broken out of the slab and needed to be re-holdered. Wat?

Couple weeks later status is changed to grading. So I checked back to see if it's being graded and if I'm going to have to pay for that, which would have been fine i guess?

They said it was being graded. 

But then I see it changed to "mechanical error/reholder" Again...wat? 
This kept going on till I finally got some help and it was sent out after it got reholdered. 

Not graded though. 

Which really sucks because I now have cracked it out of the case because I need to get it re-slabbed by someone else because it's in one of the new cases that's going to cause spine ticks. So that's another 60 or 70 bucks I'm out.

Book 3 Marvel Superheroes 20 that I got signed by Roy Thomas. A different book came back to me in my case. This is when I got scolded by a senior director for being a meany pants. I was told "we apologize for the inconvenience" and then they expected me not to get mad? An inconvenience would be a scratched case or a typo on the label.

What did I get by way of compensation for that nightmare? The retired Doctor Doom label. Which is also going to be gone because I'm getting this book verified elsewhere and a new slab so that's another hundred plus bucks I'm out. I don't really care about that stupid Signature Series logo like I used to. 7 months ago I thought it was super cool and I wanted to see some books in it but now it just makes me annoyed.

Book 4. ASM 700 Martin skyline variant which already had three signatures on it. It was being sent off to the Micheline/Sharen signing, hadn't been pressed but somehow for some bizarre reason was pre-graded at a 9.2 with grader notes saying it has creases on the back cover. It most definitely had zero creases on the back cover and they absolutely refuse to tell me why it got a grade without a pressing or being finished with the final signatures. 

That book is still sitting in the first stage while other people are receiving books back from that signing. My book was literally there a month and a half before the deadline. By my logic that means that book was right at the front of the line. So now here I am sitting and wondering what is going on with the last book I have in their possession, and my gut feeling is telling me because I made an enemy with a senior director that this book will probably never find its way back to me or if it does it's going to have some ridiculously low grade. 
On top of that when I do get it back I'm also busting that one out of the slab so I can get it redone somewhere else or just selling it straight away. 
The reslabbing is obviously my choice, but I just don't want to sit and look at my books and see a logo from a company that cost me nothing but stress and money. Overtime I'll be doing that with the other 30 books that I own. 
Some of them I will just break out and put in cases as they don't necessarily need to be graded. But sooner than later I won't have to look at the cgc logo anymore. I have anxiety issues and other so it's hard not to be frustrated seeing something that should be giving me enjoyment now just being a reminder of nothing but stress.

Mike feel free to pass this all on to "them", not that they will give a s***. Probably will just have a good laugh and pass it around the office.

While my financial spendings with this company don't hold a candle to most, I was a new customer who had plans on submitting a hell of a lot more books. So that's a loss for them no matter how you cut it, but it's a bigger loss for me. 

Out of $760 that I spent I got a total of $240 by way of compensation and a retired Doctor Doom label. It's going to cost me more than that to get these books regraded and certified elsewhere. So again, no matter how you cut it it's a complete loss for me and cgc profited off that.

I have never in my life experienced a situation like this with any company, and never dealt with such inept customer service before. The only shining star among it was a CSR named Serena. 

She was the only person who took any of my problems seriously, didn't give me contradictory information because she wouldn't give me information unless she was sure it was correct.  She literally said she could see that I had been through enough incorrect information and wouldn't do it to me any further.

She was the only person who treated me like a customer and a human being and took my problem seriously. She had to rectify a $50 refund that a senior director just outright lied about having submitted. 

She was the one who got things properly in motion to get me back my Batman 655. I hope sometime soon she finds a job that's worthy of someone of her caliber. CGC doesn't deserve her.

I have never gotten so much contradictory information from so many people, and just complete ignoring of the actual questions that needed answering. I could post about 20 emails and everyone could see that I asked the same questions each time and they all got ignored. They would answer questions that I didn't even ask and had almost nothing to do with any of the situations. It got to the point where I felt like I was literally begging to find out what was going on with my property.

I really hope this current issue comes back to hit this company hard and doesn't just get buried. It's the only time in my life I ever wished I was some lame big deal influencer with millions of followers.

If you read all of this I am sorry I made you suffer along with me 😆 

Go eat a healthy banana to get back some of the potassium my long-winded rant drained from you.

Edited by lollyclown

@CGC Mike

I submitted my FIRST BATCH EVER to be graded at CGC this summer at HeroesCon. All the attention that this topic has been getting made me nervous, so I LOOKED tonight and this has affected EVERY SINGLE ISSUE that I got back. I sent in 16 comics. Several of them are 9.8 and yet they NOW have a noticeable stress mark on the spine!

What do I DO?

• Administrator
On 9/17/2024 at 1:24 AM, Christian_Huls said:

@CGC Mike

I submitted my FIRST BATCH EVER to be graded at CGC this summer at HeroesCon. All the attention that this topic has been getting made me nervous, so I LOOKED tonight and this has affected EVERY SINGLE ISSUE that I got back. I sent in 16 comics. Several of them are 9.8 and yet they NOW have a noticeable stress mark on the spine!

What do I DO?

Hi

You (and anyone else with problems) will have to contact Customer Service.  You can start a thread in the Ask CGC section on this forum.  You can also contact them by text, e-mail or phone.  In your case, I would recommend an e-mail with photos attached.  If you have any before photos, please include them as well.  Here is their contact info,

image.png

On 9/17/2024 at 7:54 AM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

You (and anyone else with problems) will have to contact Customer Service.  You can start a thread in the Ask CGC section on this forum.  You can also contact them by text, e-mail or phone.  In your case, I would recommend an e-mail with photos attached.  If you have any before photos, please include them as well.  Here is their contact info,

image.png

@CGC Mike Respectfully, what good is contacting customer service going to do at this point? CGC has made an official statement denying damages from the bent inner wells and went even further by saying they are no longer accepting ME submissions to fix the problem. Is your advice here an official change in CGC's stance on this issue, or is this going to end up being a wild goose chase for this customer?

• Administrator
On 9/17/2024 at 8:15 AM, MadGenius said:

@CGC Mike Respectfully, what good is contacting customer service going to do at this point? CGC has made an official statement denying damages from the bent inner wells and went even further by saying they are no longer accepting ME submissions to fix the problem. Is your advice here an official change in CGC's stance on this issue, or is this going to end up being a wild goose chase for this customer?

I have not received any statements other than what has been posted.  My instructions are to refer any problems with submissions to customer service.  If I am given something new, I will post it.

On 9/17/2024 at 1:24 AM, Christian_Huls said:

@CGC Mike

What do I DO?

Is the grading date on these before or after CGC released its statement about no longer using the wells that are warping books? Just trying to determine whether the notion that the problem is fixed moving forward is BS or not.

So, we are supposed to contact customer service about a problem that cgc said is not happening...

Given how many problems people have with legitimate issues like lost or damaged books or missing signatures or upside down slabbed books, all things you read about on here and on other social media with photographic proof, and get very little help with that half the time and no solutions found and no compensation given and we are supposed to expect to receive help for something they say isn't even actually a problem? 

Yipes stripes! 

We already know how productive "contacting customer service" is.

Once again, CGC cares much more about censoring this board than they care about their customers (and their customers' property) or the quality of their product.  Their reply to me emailing their customer service is that I can send my damaged comics in so they can further damage them, at my expense!  Their response to my latest questions is... well, I'm still waiting for it after a week. 

This board is completely useless.  CGC is not interested in dealing with this problem or making customers whole for all the damage they have inflicted on our books.  I guess they think that if they gaslight us enough we'll all just go away.  

On 9/17/2024 at 10:41 AM, 0r0d said:

Once again, CGC cares much more about censoring this board than they care about their customers (and their customers' property) or the quality

Didn't you see the post from their first statement? They totally say they love their customers and they are collectors who love collecting just as much as we do! It's totally legit and not lip service!

"I was once a collector like you, then I took a tick to the spine."

Edited by lollyclown