• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,710 posts in this topic

On 9/19/2024 at 5:51 PM, newshane said:

I am done subbing books for a LONG time. 

I'm just a little guy, too. 

But if enough little guys make the same decision...

THAT is how businesses die. 

There have been 2 Census updates in September - from 9/3 to 9/10 & 9/10 to 9/17:

25K added to the Census.

image.png.e52e87e036cf4b6e2801c73ca1903bf9.png

Updated Graphic - Blue Line is Actual, Orange line is 6 Month Moving Average

image.thumb.png.a3a463c697ffb0922e7257c11db64b50.png

-bc

On 9/19/2024 at 8:14 PM, bc said:

There have been 2 Census updates in September - from 9/3 to 9/10 & 9/10 to 9/17:

25K added to the Census.

image.png.e52e87e036cf4b6e2801c73ca1903bf9.png

Updated Graphic - Blue Line is Actual, Orange line is 6 Month Moving Average

image.thumb.png.a3a463c697ffb0922e7257c11db64b50.png

-bc

Looks like turn-a-round times will be improving then?:banana:

On 9/19/2024 at 9:23 PM, flashlites said:

Looks like turn-a-round times will be improving then?:banana:

I am guessing the opposite. There is clearly a backlog in finalization as CGC slowed their process of moving out books. Once the inner well stuff is fixed that backlog will start to get pushed through the system just as a lot of people who are holding for now start to submit again. I am expecting a lot of extended waits coming up. 

In terms of the census addition trend lines I am guessing it will go to whatever capacity they are setting. 

Three days ago, I got back a 15-book Vintage submission (1 Silver, 14 GA).

RESULTS: 12 are perfectly flat, 1 straight but the inner well runs a bit diagonally inside the outer case, 2 have an almost imperceptible bend (really negligible). The variance may be due to the variance in sizes (page count, thickness, etc.) of older books. And some of these were in those heavy, thicker slabs. Overall, no real issues. (Also, with grades from 2.5 to 8.5, bowing isn't as important.)

TIMING: It took FOREVER and this may, may, be significant for bendgate. "Received" on 7/22 (before I heard of bendgate) but shipped back on 9/13; they sat in Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging for 4+ weeks of that!!!!! Top Comics Pressing posted a video the other day saying that he had a Modern submission that got all the way to Quality Control/Finalizing before going backwards (!) to Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging where they sat before finally being shipped. He demonstrates a clear improvement in these books re bendgate.  

CONCLUSIONS?: Maybe the delays were due to extra care being applied in order to correct the problem? Wishful thinking? In any event, definitely nothing conclusive enough for me to start submitting anything, including even GA and, again, even if the problem is fixed on a going-forward basis, WHAT ABOUT all of those (2022?), 2023 and 2024 high grade books of so many people that are (likely? potentially?) being spoiled by the bends?

Yeah, even if/when they fix this, there will still be thousands of books out there that are damaged and bent, with grades higher than they should be.  Since CGC has decided to do NOTHING about this, it means those books will stay out there.  This is going to be a long term hit to CGC's reputation at this point due to their own terrible customer service and lack of taking responsibility.

On 9/19/2024 at 12:44 PM, lostboys said:

I remember back in 2022 I bought a book that was bent in the slab.

It was a Ebay purchase and the seller argued with me for days about it.

Finally, I just escalated it and Ebay forced him to take the return.

Books should be flat in the slab.

And this should be a standard part of the QC process, which we know every book receives.😆

I’m wondering if the AI technology they are likely starting to use in place of humans (ie, more profits!) is unable to see bends or even view a book from the side.

Edited by crazyhips

On 9/19/2024 at 12:07 PM, Yorick said:

Updated label.  Sticker is a perfect fit!

IMG_20240913_171816363.thumb.jpg.332414a0f25e24e629d9bb9b2dac7ec2.jpg

Aw, man -- hadn't seen this one posted earlier. Every book in that order is graded 9.8 and every one of them with clear 9.8-breaking ticks on the CGC scans.