• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
27 27

1,906 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2024 at 4:00 PM, RC64Buck_Comics said:

But, how do they respond when you show spine ticks on your book that are clearly not present in the grading scans?

In my case, the book I have with a 1/4" spine tick, it actually shows up in the CGC scan.  The problem is that it's impossible to see how much it extends.  What I do know is that that tick was NOT there when I sent it in.  So, I believe the damage was done in the slabbing process.  The bent book might have made it worse, however, but I cant say.  I do believe that it was not there when the book was graded, because I dont see a book with a 1/4" spine bend getting a 9.8.

• Administrator
On 9/22/2024 at 8:43 PM, Tnexus said:

Are the larger inner well distinguishable from the old ones when looking at a slab?

I think this question will be answered a little later on.  One could compare a book that was graded much earlier, to one that has been recently graded.  

On 9/22/2024 at 7:34 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

We immediately stopped using the well in question weeks ago. No more of those will be used. 

Mike

I apologize if this was covered already. So back in May you posted that a batch of warped inner wells were identified and removed from production. Are the inner wells you are mentioning now (the one that was stopped a few weeks ago) the same issue or are these two completely separate issues?

• Administrator
On 9/22/2024 at 11:44 PM, wombat said:

I apologize if this was covered already. So back in May you posted that a batch of warped inner wells were identified and removed from production. Are the inner wells you are mentioning now (the one that was stopped a few weeks ago) the same issue or are these two completely separate issues?

The ones back in May were identified and removed from production.

On 9/22/2024 at 7:34 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

We immediately stopped using the well in question weeks ago. No more of those will be used. 

Mike

I REALLY hope this is true. I have a 25-book submission currently in process and I'm expecting to receive them back with straight inner wells. If that doesn't happen, CGC will be hearing from me. I also took before photos in the event of damage. 

On 9/23/2024 at 8:53 AM, Calm-Mix said:

And what about the next batch of bad wells?  I received bananas from a late June submission.

It appears at least two boardies revived the slabs with warped wells just last week. One other posted last week but didn’t say when he received his that had warped wells and damage.

CGC’s statement of stopping the use of the more flexible inner wells “weeks ago” is just ambiguous enough to say it’s possible the boardies still received the more flexible wells. We’ll have to see if people continue to post slabs with the issue from here on out.

Even if the different wells fix the issue, which I doubt, CGC has made it clear that they will in no way take responsibility for or compensate people for the damage they have caused.

The gaslighting will continue.  Your books arent damaged.  This is all normal and acceptable.  Stop complaining.

To anyone who has received books back from CGC in the last couple of weeks and are still seeing issues with the bent inner wells - Can you post pics?

It's an exercise in futility at this point because CGC doesn't seem to be taking the proper steps to fix this, but it's good to document what is happening for future actions.

• Administrator
On 9/23/2024 at 9:39 AM, miraclemet said:

mine, with the bent wells went to grading/encapsulation on 9/11 and were shipped on 9/17, does that line up with weeks ago? (not being sarcastic, honest question since "weeks ago" is not a specific date)

2 days ago, I posted this:

On 9/23/2024 at 9:39 AM, miraclemet said:

mine, with the bent wells went to grading/encapsulation on 9/11 and were shipped on 9/17, does that line up with weeks ago? (not being sarcastic, honest question since "weeks ago" is not a specific date)

Are you really expecting a truthful answer from CGC? My bent inner wells were received near around the same time as yours. It's total hogwash.

On 9/23/2024 at 12:33 PM, CGC Mike said:

2 days ago, I posted this:

Mike - I received a rejection to my request to re-sub a bent book with the following response from CGC: "This curve does not cause any damage to the comic book". If this is true, why did they change the inner well if it isn't causing damage?

• Administrator
On 9/23/2024 at 12:47 PM, uncannyjames said:

Mike - I received a rejection to my request to re-sub a bent book with the following response from CGC: "This curve does not cause any damage to the comic book". If this is true, why did they change the inner well if it isn't causing damage?

Hi

If I am given any statements, I will post them.  The posts I made regarding the inner well was from information that I was provided from the team.  At this time, I do not have any more info to share. Sorry.    

On 9/23/2024 at 1:10 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

If I am given any statements, I will post them.  The posts I made regarding the inner well was from information that I was provided from the team.  At this time, I do not have any more info to share. Sorry.    

Mike - Thanks for the reply. I would never shoot the messenger, but it sure does feel like CGC is peeing on our books then telling us "Pee does not cause any damage to the comic book"

On 9/23/2024 at 11:47 AM, uncannyjames said:

Push back.  Don’t accept it.  Their response is hot garbage.