• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
27 27

1,906 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2024 at 2:48 PM, Richard Wysong said:

Short-term profit.  If they cared about long-term profit, this issue would be their top priority.

Short-term might be their only concern. 

After all, they can abandon ship right before it sinks. Sell it for a song. Sail off into the sunset with all books in the green. 

How many times have we seen a successful company destroyed after selling out? 

On 9/24/2024 at 4:08 PM, newshane said:

Short-term might be their only concern. 

After all, they can abandon ship right before it sinks. Sell it for a song. Sail off into the sunset with all books in the green. 

How many times have we seen a successful company destroyed after selling out? 

I don't believe that is what is happening here, although I do see your argument and I have no way of knowing either way. 

If the goal was to cut costs to the bone and then sell it for a song that seems like a poor approach. Why not sell at a higher valuation instead? The value of the company, and sale price, will be dictated by the amount of submissions/revenue that is coming in per month. If they are taking an approach that saves a bit now but undercuts the valuation by more than those savings it is a net loss. I can't see a company devaluing itself in that way, especially if there are shareholders that have to be answered to. 

On 9/24/2024 at 3:21 PM, Stefan_W said:

Why not sell at a higher valuation instead? The value of the company, and sale price, will be dictated by the amount of submissions/revenue that is coming in per month. If they are taking an approach that saves a bit now but undercuts the valuation by more than those savings it is a net loss. I can't see a company devaluing itself in that way, especially if there are shareholders that have to be answered to. 

I'm pretty sure they THINK they are growing the company, while simultaneously destroying their reputation through cost-cutting measures. 

Their attitude is "90% of the people won't notice. We can juggle the other 10% and who really cares if we lose them?" 

They can just gaslight all their customers. 

Any potential buyer of CGC would be doing significant due diligence on it before signing a purchase agreement, and this holder issue, along with all the other significant controversies they've been embroiled in recently, would become easily  known and part of the negotiation and valuation, assuming the potential buyer would still want to go forward.  

On 9/25/2024 at 9:13 AM, lostboys said:

"The angle of bend required to create a stress line simply cannot be done within the CGC holder."

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL :sumo:  ? !

That is actually a fact. When you bend books the amount allowed within a case (approx 4 mm, with the bend spread along the length of an inner well) you cannot reproduce the ticks we are seeing. 

On 9/25/2024 at 10:03 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Yet there are tons of pictures in this thread, and on social media sites, that show the opposite of what you're saying.

No. 

A picture of a tick is not the same as identifying the cause of that tick. A picture of a tick also does not demonstrate whether a tick is from "unpressing" (e.g., revealing a past flaw that was fixed) or is a new tick. If I showed you a picture of  a dent in my car bumper it does not prove what put that ding there.  

Based on testing it (which can be reproduced by anyone interested in doing so, by the way) it takes more than 4 mm to create new ticks. A bend of 4 mm can sometimes create stress in clean copies that can be spotted if you look really closely at a book. A bend of 4 mm can also "unpress" a book and reveal flaws that were corrected during the pressing process. A bend of 4 mm can make existing ticks look worse in books that are not clean copies. 

The more severe damage that we see in some instances is clearly none of these things which means it is has a cause other than the bend but is still related to what is happening now. I don't know what that cause is but my best guess is the extra space in the case that was meant to lessen newton ring issues freed up space that both allowed inner wells to bend, and allowed movement that leads to shaken comic syndrome. So if you think of it in terms of stats the extra room in the case acts as an antecedent variable. 

Good solutions follow identifying the correctly issues/questions. This is why I have spent so much time and effort trying to sort out the cause rather than jumping to conclusions after seeing effects.  

Edited by Stefan_W

Since we don't know the exact steps/stages of encapsulation... is it possible that these bends/ticks are being caused after the book is sealed into the inner well but before the inner well is sealed into the slab?  For example, are these inner wells being stacked for some period of time before moving along to the slabbing stage?

Edited by Engr62