• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is anyone else getting books back with warped inner wells?
25 25

1,698 posts in this topic

On 8/11/2024 at 10:48 AM, Ninja0215 said:

No, you can't.  Some books I have are just flexed enough to notice but idk of it's enough to trash the book.  I don't have the sack to crack one out and see .

I crack a pile of slabs ever week or two in order to do crack and resubs. These more recent books are a tiny part of the market so I have only done a couple so far, and I will wait to do more before saying too much. But spoiler alert - so far (and things may change), I have not seen anything was I not expecting. 

On 8/11/2024 at 7:50 AM, DanJD said:

Someone should make a video and call out the people that keep trying to convince others that no damage is being done and everything is ok because they bent a book and called it FACT. 

:headbang:

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 8/11/2024 at 11:20 AM, DanJD said:

I just don’t understand why anyone would take that stance.  Even if it was the situation where the warped inner wells only made existing damage look worse (which may be the case for some but not for others), why would anyone want their book to look worse?  Why would anyone send in a book to be pressed and then it look terribly unpressed?  

It is referred to as building a straw man argument, which happens when people want so badly to disagree that they make up extreme positions that no one is actually taking and then argue against those positions. No one is taking the stance that people send books in to make them look worse. No one wants their books to look worse. No one wants their books to look as though they have not been pressed after spending money to have them done. But if people acknowledge those basic things then they don't have an excuse to get angry on Internet message boards, and then where would we all be. 

On 8/11/2024 at 8:20 AM, DanJD said:

I am not against CGC.  I have many other high value CGC slabs that I have bought.  I do not want CGC to fail so my other books are worth less.  I want them to fix this problem going forward ASAP to avoid the brand being impacted further.  

^^

On 8/11/2024 at 8:28 AM, Stefan_W said:

It is referred to as building a straw man argument, which happens when people want so badly to disagree that they make up extreme positions that no one is actually taking and then argue against those positions. No one is taking the stance that people send books in to make them look worse. No one wants their books to look worse. No one wants their books to look as though they have not been pressed after spending money to have them done. But if people acknowledge those basic things then they don't have an excuse to get angry on Internet message boards, and then where would we all be. 

meh

:facepalm:

On 8/11/2024 at 12:15 PM, Ninja0215 said:

I don't want cgc to fail either, I like the slab and the membership credits are nice . 

Please fix this though because we the people not happy lol

CGC can simply give everyone the the same level of QC and Inner-wells that huge submitters or influencer's like Joey receive. No reason this has to continue when the large submitting entities are not and have not been affected - it also proves the issue is known, and a work-around/solution/fix already exists!

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/11/2024 at 12:21 PM, MAR1979 said:

CGC can simply give everyone the the same level of QC and Inner-wells that huge submitters or influencer's like Joey receive. No reason this has to continue when the large submitting entities are not and have not been affected - it also proves the issue is known and solution/fix already exists!

Facts 

This is likely off topic, but maybe it isn’t. I just looked at a few slabs I submitted mid last year. Consecutive books on the same submission have two different inner wells.

I believe they are also consecutive issues in the same series. There are also no CGC scans when my sub graded shortly before that was scanned. I can see someone skipping the scans, but does having two different inner wells in the same sub sound right?

On 8/10/2024 at 8:27 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I was just thinking someone might have a book not worth the trouble to send back in.....or possibly one they don't want to subject to another round of torture, and don't want to store it with a bend down a large portion of the spine.

Absolutely.  In my case though, it's an Amazing Spiderman 298 that I had intended on selling.  If they had damaged any of my other submissions (personal collection) I'd break the book out.

I want CGC to fix my book, but if they're just going to make me pay the shipping to Fedex both ways in order to say, "book is fine"....  I'll just wait until the problem is acknowledged.  Which may be never, but at least I'll be able to parade this 9.8 around at conventions and show collectors how awesome CGC is.

--It can NOT be a problem caused by a post-reholder scam sealing process change or by a single "bad batch" of inner wells, because the problem started before 2024 and is still happening, no? Not a single one of my older slabs has this; about 70% of my 2023 and later slabs do.  

--Human error? One person or one of the people running the machine (the seals-the book-in-the-inner-well-and-then places-it-in-the-outer-shell machine) doing something wrong? That explains the wide range and inconsistency of the problem, sort of. Maybe a new person started working the machine in 2023?

--Whether it harms the visual presentation or actually damages the book, it is a problem, right? No need to nitpick between them. But I will. Even if short term it doesn't physically harm the book-- and granted, I am not a scientist--one would think that after enough time, it will physically harm the book.

--CGC cases were already not particularly good at protecting books, but we all knew that and as long as we take care of the slabs, the books should be OK and the grades should hold. CGC only guarantees the grade at the time they are shipped, not after. We all know that, too (right?). But if CGC is placing a ticking time bomb inside the slab, in the form of a bowed inner well that over time damages the book no matter how well we care for it, then it's no guarantee at all--especially if, if, if, CGC knows of the problem and still sells the service.   

It would be nice if CGC fixes the problem ASAP or, even better, already has. (I do not expect them to acknowledge it if it is already resolved, though.)

On 8/10/2024 at 4:10 PM, MAR1979 said:

Axelrod, If you want them pressed by the best, not to mention the most professional, plus evade inner well issues send them to Joey for pressing + submission.

Have you had books pressed by all people calling themselves "professional pressers"?  Then used that information to make a comparative decision?