• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC 9.8 SS with piece missing from cover
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Maybe Bagley got hungry when he signed it and ate a piece.

Honestly though, I cant imagine a book in that state hitting 9.8. There are even stress lines by the bottom staple. Looks like either it was damaged at some point after grading or else there was some type of switcheroo and that is not the original book. 

Just looked through other books in that submission and it included 17 books that were all ASM 361s for the Bagley sig. There are no graders notes for this cert number, but several other books in the submission have multiple tears, etc. I wonder if something happened to the books on the way to CGC or something like that. 

On 5/23/2024 at 1:21 PM, Qalyar said:

assume that this is yet another example of a situation where two (or more) of the same book were submitted at the same time and CGC shuffled the labels. It's a strong candidate for the most serious ongoing issue with QA.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=6267d3780fe4f19

On 5/23/2024 at 3:24 PM, Stefan_W said:

Honestly though, I cant imagine a book in that state hitting 9.8. There are even stress lines by the bottom staple. Looks like either it was damaged at some point after grading or else there was some type of switcheroo and that is not the original book. 

Just looked through other books in that submission and it included 17 books that were all ASM 361s for the Bagley sig. There are no graders notes for this cert number, but several other books in the submission have multiple tears, etc. I wonder if something happened to the books on the way to CGC or something like that. 

Well, maybe someone will get a sweet deal on the 9.8 that wound up in the 5.0 slab.

On 5/23/2024 at 4:24 PM, Stefan_W said:

None of the grader notes mention anything similar to what we see at the top of the book in this example so I am thinking it is not a simple mix-up between books in the submission, and a flaw like this would warrant a mention given the other flaws that received notes, but who knows. 

On 5/23/2024 at 3:24 PM, Stefan_W said:

Quelle surprise.

The problem with this sort of thing is that the 9.8 in the -tier slab very obviously would have been sent back on a mechanical error ticket and corrected, but there's no motivation for the recipient to have the dog book in the 9.8 slab corrected. The cynic might even think that a book like this got added to a stack destined for Bagley specifically in the hopes that they'd make this very error. 

The solution here -- well, okay, the solution is for CGC to cut this out and figure out how to distinguish between multiple copies of the same book long enough to get them into slabs with the right labels! But the remediation here is for CGC to actively start monitoring the secondary market for these sorts of things and annotate the Certification Number as "Invalid: Known Misgrade" or something like that (plus allowing a free ME regrade, at a minimum). Doesn't solve the 9.6 / 9.8 swaps because those aren't going to be easily recognizable, but it's something

On 5/23/2024 at 4:51 PM, Qalyar said:

Quelle surprise.

The problem with this sort of thing is that the 9.8 in the -tier slab very obviously would have been sent back on a mechanical error ticket and corrected, but there's no motivation for the recipient to have the dog book in the 9.8 slab corrected. The cynic might even think that a book like this got added to a stack destined for Bagley specifically in the hopes that they'd make this very error. 

The solution here -- well, okay, the solution is for CGC to cut this out and figure out how to distinguish between multiple copies of the same book long enough to get them into slabs with the right labels! But the remediation here is for CGC to actively start monitoring the secondary market for these sorts of things and annotate the Certification Number as "Invalid: Known Misgrade" or something like that (plus allowing a free ME regrade, at a minimum). Doesn't solve the 9.6 / 9.8 swaps because those aren't going to be easily recognizable, but it's something

I am skeptical that it is a mix-up in books within the submission because none of the grader notes for the others mention anything at the top of the book aside from the odd small crease. 

Given there are no notes for this one, and many notes for others detailing different flaws, I would default to something happening to the book after grading. But I dont know, and will never know, if this was actually the case. 

On 5/23/2024 at 1:51 PM, Qalyar said:

the 9.8 in the -tier slab very obviously would have been sent back on a mechanical error ticket and corrected, but there's no motivation for the recipient to have the dog book in the 9.8 slab corrected.

image.thumb.png.cb602b845aff691a02d710a7eb7368bc.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276414369667

CGC 9.6~Green Lantern #134~1980~Newsstand~Marv Wolfman Joe Staton Giordano~DC - Picture 2 of 5

119_1179.thumb.JPG.86eb3ba95e3198d14dd804edfc60fd80.JPG

cgccomicmonstergl.thumb.png.5c869599eff1df982567a8729f1d8fb3.png

image.thumb.png.bd826b5ef597ace70c37114c4ec4bf22.png

O.o

:screwy:

8r7jzt.jpg