• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please "grade" or provide thoughts - Thank you.
3 3

27 posts in this topic

I purchased the below book from a very well known dealer who contacted me and offered it to me.

In his email, he listed his "grade" for the book and a price; no photo or description provided.

Since I had done business with this person more times than I can remember I took him at his word as to the grade and paid full asking - no negotiation.

In fact he actually offered me two books and I purchased both at full asking (which one might argue was above FMV even if the books were in the stated grades, however, I was interested in the books and not interested in bickering over price).

In order to keep you unbias in your assessment, I will refrain from stating the dealers name and grade (at least for now).

I understand an exact grade would likely require more photos (including one of the BC), however, I am providing the two I currently have on my phone.

I am ok with a "range" as opposed to an exact grade given the limited number of photos. 

If the "range" includes the grade he assigned, then perhaps I am too harsh of a grader.

Thank you in advance for taking time to read this and provide your grades, thoughts, comments, opinions, or anything else.

247FromHarley1.thumb.jpeg.71562e8d4524cd49812c820aeaee4123.jpeg

247fromHarley2.thumb.jpeg.d61c160f22761d5de067d1ac55983180.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I would be somewhat comfortable listing that as a 2.0 / 2.5 considering the numerous tears and staining.

(And I'm assuming the bc is similar to the fc...)

Edited by Hibou

Posted (edited)

First I want to thank each of you for taking the time to provide your thoughts, comments, and grades on this book.  I know it takes time to look at a book, consider its defects, determine a fair grade, and then post.  Thank you for spending your time in this manner.

I also agree very much with @zzutak in that a defect like that (a tear that runs throgh the entire book) should have been disclosed.  It really shakes my confidence in dealers when something that obvious is left undisclosed.  Oh and BTW, I paid more than any of the books @zzutak showed in his post above.

So before I reveal the grade this dealer assigned, let's first take a look at the grades you all said (assuming the 9.4 was a joke); we have a dozen graders (many of whom are well known on these boards and whose grades are likely well respected).

@vheflin                3.5 / 4.0          3.75 ave of possible grades

@dick pontoon      3.0 / 3.5          3.25

@Point Five           2.0 / 2.5          2.25

@The Lions Den     2.5                 2.5

@NY Roadkill         2.0 / 2.5         2.25

@LowGradeBronze  1.8               1.8

@Q.N.S.                 1.8                1.8

@grendel013           1.0 / 2.0        1.5

@Hibou                   2.0 / 2.5        2.25

@Vegabomb            1.8                1.8

@Bmattioli86            2.0                2.0

@grendelbo             2.0                2.0

Taking the grades in the right and adding them up I get a total of 27.15. 

Divided by 12, I get an average grade of 2.2625.

I would tend to agree this book should be somewhere in the 2.0 - 2.5 range.

Thank you for confirming to me that I am not TOTALLY CRAZY for being upset the well known dealer sold me this stating it was a 5.0 (and not disclosing any of the defects).

There are SO many good and honest dealers out there, that it makes me sick to my stomach when a "dealer" does something like this.

I know grading is subjective, but out of 12 people here, not ONE person gave this book a 5.0.

I am almost tempted to send this to CGC, just out of curiosity as to what they would assign this book.  I know it is not worth the grading fee, however, it might be worth it just to see.

Once again, THANK YOU ALL, for taking the time to respond.

Edited by Hudson

On 6/9/2024 at 2:08 PM, Hudson said:

Thank you for confirming to me that I am not TOTALLY CRAZY for being upset the well known dealer sold me this stating it was a 5.0 (and not disclosing any of the defects).

A 5.0 is bananas. I’m not seeing 5.0 even without the huge gash. Ugh! Sorry you have to deal with this. If you can I’d return it in a hurry.

On 6/9/2024 at 2:08 PM, Hudson said:

dealer sold me this stating it was a 5.0 (and not disclosing any of the defects).

Ugh. I'm by no means a professional grader but my first glace review took me to 4.5 and then I went down from there. I was going to try rationalizing a different grading system he may be utilizing but nothing I know would even get this to a 5.0. Well maybe... but you couldn't literally say 5.0. You would literally say "Very good."