• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Me Take Better Pictures
3 3

45 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2024 at 10:14 AM, jimjum12 said:

This. 

Your PC should have editing features in the image software also. It is often present with the "crop" function.  GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Thank you so much. This is just what I needed.

On 6/27/2024 at 3:09 PM, Darwination said:

Hint: cardboard/graph paper/USPS materials/comic pressing workdesk sorts of backgrounds can look a bit jank. ;)

I will try to take this into consideration in the future. Maybe I will need to stop by Hobby Lobby to buy some off-white paper.

On 6/28/2024 at 4:02 PM, troydivision1 said:

I use the following lightbox

Screenshot 2024-06-28 160031.png

I have the big Foldio myself. One of the better investments I've made. I only use it for toys, though. I scan all the comics on a flatbed Epson Perfection V39 scanner.

20240510_171524.jpg

img447.jpg

Edited by Chip Cataldo

On 6/28/2024 at 11:00 PM, Kevin76 said:

Just buy a HQ legal sized scanner  

Money's a little tight until September, when I can start subbing again. In addition, I just don't have any room on my desk for a scanner.

On 6/27/2024 at 2:09 PM, grendelbo said:

If your phone has ability to scan the pictures....

Well I hope he's not using his phone to take pictures! When it comes to pictures, it's all about the lens and the only place you can get good ones is in a dedicated camera.

On 6/29/2024 at 12:00 AM, Kevin76 said:

Just buy a HQ legal sized scanner  

I second that suggestion for comics. But like I say the worst alternative is taking pictures with your phone.

2c

Edited by Hepcat

On 6/29/2024 at 9:17 AM, Hepcat said:

Well I hope he's not using his phone to take pictures! When it comes to pictures, it's all about the lens and the only place you can get good ones is in a dedicated camera.

2c

:691460725_armsraised:

The very same phone that took this picture...

MarvelSpotlight2.thumb.jpg.1f133d42a3d38d91e08489395e2ae998.jpg

Also took this one.

20230830_202206.jpg.7b11097c37510e8898885c9bd62c863d.jpg

On 6/29/2024 at 11:17 AM, Hepcat said:

I second that suggestion for comics. But like I say the worst alternative is taking pictures with your phone.

2c

Technology has changed while you had your back turned. Many phones are more than capable of taking photos comparable to digital cameras.

On 6/29/2024 at 10:17 AM, Hepcat said:

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I am using my phone to take pictures. If I needed to take hi-res professional-grade photos, I <would> get a camera. I take pictures of basically three things: my family, my comics, and our vacations.

Just for the record, I took these two pictures with my phone:

PXL_20230722_144150330.thumb.jpg.fa6b34749c3af86bf7298cb0409c0e51.jpg

PXL_20230722_144542866.thumb.jpg.b56858ff9ba35bcda11e483c0fd4c1ac.jpg

Would these have been better had they been taken with a camera? I suppose. But they are MORE than good enough for me.

On 6/29/2024 at 1:37 PM, Lightning55 said:

Technology has changed while you had your back turned. Many phones are more than capable of taking photos comparable to digital cameras.

I don't care how much the storage capacity in megapixels, resolution, or whatever has increased due to increases in processing speed and overall improvements in digital technology. Good photography is all about the lens. The lenses in cell phones don't compare to those in dedicated cameras of even marginal quality.

:makepoint:

On 6/29/2024 at 11:57 AM, Math Teacher said:

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I am using my phone to take pictures. If I needed to take hi-res professional-grade photos, I <would> get a camera. I take pictures of basically three things: my family, my comics, and our vacations.

Just for the record, I took these two pictures with my phone:

PXL_20230722_144150330.thumb.jpg.fa6b34749c3af86bf7298cb0409c0e51.jpg

PXL_20230722_144542866.thumb.jpg.b56858ff9ba35bcda11e483c0fd4c1ac.jpg

Would these have been better had they been taken with a camera? I suppose. But they are MORE than good enough for me.

For tigers,

I suggest a flat bed scanner...

:roflmao:

On 6/29/2024 at 3:17 PM, Hepcat said:

I don't care how much the storage capacity in megapixels, resolution, or whatever has increased due to increases in processing speed and overall improvements in digital technology. Good photography is all about the lens. The lenses in cell phones don't compare to those in dedicated cameras of even marginal quality.

:makepoint:

If you're trying to take microscopically detailed photos, like to see the eyelashes on a gnat, you need a great lens. Or if you are OCD-affected and viewing comic photos, you think you need a great lens.

For the overwhelming majority of people, a good phone of recent manufacture is more than sufficient to make an informed decision. 

If you have an adobe creative cloud subscription, then I use the Adobe Scan app with my phone and it's able to give me decent scans (obviously this will be limited by what phone you have since its all going to be based on that phone's camera, but the app has some nice tools for taking and editing scans)

Edited by JC25427N