• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just received this "9.8"
1 1

34 posts in this topic

Just received this 9.8 with two noticeable spine stresses.  Surely this isn't allowable for a 9.8? Should I try and send back as a mechanical error for a press and regrade? I did not send it in this way. I took a pic before shipping it. It seems it was damaged during encapsulation. 20240705_200949.thumb.jpg.ff33a95b9a6bda3dd398cbdf35fcd26d.jpg20240705_201052.thumb.jpg.41884e8ccabac4a409c7e1695c280fe1.jpg

20240614_225506.jpg

RMA, as soon as I saw the spine ticks on my book I  thought of the warped inner holder. Mine is not bowed. Thanks for the reply

On 7/6/2024 at 3:21 AM, DougC said:

it is also highly likely that it was improperly handled during encapsulation after grading

This is what I think. @CGC Mike could this be pressed and regraded as mechanical error? I just want a true 9.8 for my collection. 

• Administrator
On 7/6/2024 at 8:31 AM, JDH-84 said:

This is what I think. @CGC Mike could this be pressed and regraded as mechanical error? I just want a true 9.8 for my collection. 

Hi

I have sent an e-mail to the team and will let you know.

Mike

On 7/6/2024 at 8:46 AM, Artboy99 said:

you should just sell yours, and buy one you prefer.

The thought crossed my mind, but I don't know if a potential buyer would be happy having the book the way it is. 

On 7/6/2024 at 9:01 AM, JDH-84 said:

The thought crossed my mind, but I don't know if a potential buyer would be happy having the book the way it is. 

Why don’t you let the buyer decide?  Give em a couple closeups of the offending defects to assuage your concerns. 

On 7/6/2024 at 9:14 AM, ThothAmon said:

Why don’t you let the buyer decide?  Give em a couple closeups of the offending defects to assuage your concerns. 

Good idea. I'm going to see what CGC will do first and go from there.

On 7/6/2024 at 9:14 AM, ThothAmon said:

Still the odds of a return/refund/partial refund request (from your standard eBay buyer) is not  unlikely no matter what you do.... (and agreed take pictures of the defect, mention it in the listing....)

I think their main concern is that it happened after grading but wasn't "caught or inspected" to ensure the grade and accuracy or that CGC will stand behind the slab....

I had the same feeling when this slab came back recently. I even posted here randomly within other "9.8 ??? " threads where the grades were questioned, rather than start my own thread, but no feedback was received.

I also feel that his spine tics are worse in person, or it was hard to get a full focus on this one I mentioned that I got back. In the past I've had spine tics that looked like this when I sent in raw that got 8.0 ??? and I sent this in when it didn't have it, and now 9.8?

I don't think that he is looking to blame cgc or anything nefarious, just he even has a before scan, which is better than I can provide, but being in similar predicament, I understand that he just doesn't want the doubt "he has and reluctantly feels someone else would too?" How else could he get any answers other than to blindly trust? and I don't think anyone here is suggesting that?

Mine look worse in person, with a bit of arc in the slab while encapsulated. With that development flaw found recently and dealt with according to CGC, Idk either what to think or do....

Screenshot_20240617_171253_SamsungInternScreenshot_20240617_171358_SamsungIntern

@JDH-84 I think it is fine though :) 

Mine looks worse than the pics, perhaps yours does too...

I can see in your slab where the paper crinkles at the spine ticks that make them look "not flat or the slightest jostle or slab pressure would just cause 'more creases' to the book", and it "feels like it is an unsafe book in a 9.8 slab" lol 

I think the cases ours are in are sturdy and won't squish the book to unevenly flatten those bends to cause more creases, but with SCS it is an uneasy feeling, that "we didn't send them in with"..... :shy: 

Posted (edited)

when you send in a perfectly flat book

and it comes back with a tic

and waves that if holding raw and not handled properly would flatten due to bad handling unevenly causing more tics and damage?

But you by instinct have that feeling holding it, yet instead it is in a slab, kind of psyches you out lol 

orange arrows :insane: that show up on monitor but unseeable on the phone. Tried to make it better real quick, top pic is the main outline, but might have to zoom, which is why I think it is fine and we're being too critical 

crinkle.jpg

Screenshot_20240706-084319.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/6/2024 at 9:22 AM, miraclemet said:

Still the odds of a return/refund/partial refund request (from your standard eBay buyer) is not  unlikely no matter what you do.... (and agreed take pictures of the defect, mention it in the listing....)

Seems like this is a disadvantage in the modern comics market that really doesn’t exist in golden age and silver books. I’ve sold hundreds of slabs over the years with zero asks for returns/refunds. 

On 7/6/2024 at 8:41 AM, ThothAmon said:
On 7/6/2024 at 8:22 AM, miraclemet said:

Seems like this is a disadvantage in the modern comics market that really doesn’t exist in golden age and silver books. I’ve sold hundreds of slabs over the years with zero asks for returns/refunds. 

Both of ours deserved 9.8's, it is just the "new 'damage' than can't be explained." With only one or 2 books, it is hard to justify other than being on the lookout in the process to try and make sure that a "real situation" isn't somehow happening. lol