• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2024 Grading Contest Summer Edition Season 3 (#11) Round 1
18 18

147 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2024 at 9:51 PM, frozentundraguy said:

Sorry, the timing for this contest did not work for me.

Same for me but vacation was fantastic! I'll be watching this one from he sidelines.

Headline #6 - 4.0 

Weird Mysteries #11 - 3.0

Detective #268 - 4.0 

Action #243 - 9.0

Fantastic Four #86 - 8.5 

Should have went with my first choice on Headline 6 as I was thinking a possible 5 but that detached centerfold was throwing me off. 

Ugh - those last two were murder.  I went 4.0 on all three of the first books since they all looked 3.5/4.0 to me (3 points).  Went 7.0 on the Sup due to the staining but I always forget they give foxing a pass.  The note on the FF had me drop it to a 8.0 but I was thinking 8.5.  8 points isn’t going to cut it.

Edited by 1Cool

I really dinged the Action for that crud on the top edge (and the fading).  I did not think "foxing," and gave it a 7.0.  They really don't care that much about foxing, do they?  

I was okay on all the others for 5 pts.  

I had three bullseyes and still scored 5 points. Sheesh... the Action killed me. I had it at 6.5 due to the foxing stains, the sun shadow along the right edge and general wear. While I may have undergraded it a bit, there's no way that's an 8.5 most collectors would be satisfied with. :sumo:

On 7/23/2024 at 8:57 AM, zzutak said:

Book 4 -- Action #243:
According to the grade distribution Mike reported earlier this morning, only 9% of player guesses were bulls-eyes, and the mean, mode, and median player guesses were all 7.5 -- a full two grade increments lower than the CGC grade.  Hence, I think it's reasonable to say that CGC's 8.5 was a gift.  :sumo:

I had it at 7.5...I would have had a 1.......

cont.jpeg

I actually had the Action at a 9+ on first glance but dialed it down to 9.0 even just in case. Man, some of you guys are HARSH graders. Probably should seek jobs at CGC since that’s all I ever seem to get when I submit.

On 7/23/2024 at 2:21 PM, Cman429 said:

Man, some of you guys are HARSH graders.

This being my first "practice" round, I didn't know what to expect. Not too impressed with my score of 10, but dissecting each grade, it appears that I am one of these "harsh" graders. I'm actually okay with that. The only exception was the 4.5 I gave Detective 268. All my other grades were lower than CGC.

I went in hard and fast...no overthinking, hell...no thinking at all!

2 bullseyes - the action & weird...

I had that FF at 8.5...I couldn't see the colourbreaking scratch Mike mentioned so I just deducted .5 for it, that was silly.

5 points total, happy with that. Deteched centerfolds don't hit nearly as hard as what they used to, anyone noticed that? I bought an ASM#72 at 8.0 a year back (no graders notes available) and when I cracked her open she had her CF detached at the lower staple, I thought VF was extremely generous with that - I took the $100 loss and moved it on.

• Administrator
On 7/23/2024 at 11:38 PM, SpidersComics said:

I had that FF at 8.5...I couldn't see the colourbreaking scratch Mike mentioned so I just deducted .5 for it, that was silly.

When I am building these threads I look at each graders note, and see if I can spot the defect.  If I can't, I post the graders note on top of the book.

On 7/23/2024 at 10:38 PM, SpidersComics said:

I went in hard and fast...no overthinking, hell...no thinking at all!

2 bullseyes - the action & weird...

5 points total, happy with that. Deteched centerfolds don't hit nearly as hard as what they used to, anyone noticed that? I bought an ASM#72 at 8.0 a year back (no graders notes available) and when I cracked her open she had her CF detached at the lower staple, I thought VF was extremely generous with that - I took the $100 loss and moved it on.

According my ETA cheat sheet (a great guide from someone who submitted 1000's of books) one staple CF detached can be as high as 9.0

completely detached CF is 7.0 max...of course these are stating points as if the rest is great.