• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA To Grade Comics In 2025
8 8

219 posts in this topic

It is interesting but they currently are being purposefully vague with all details; at the end of the day sale prices of slabs will determine if they will be competition for CGC.

I am very curious as to who these people are, as that will also add (or diminish) trust in the product:

Elizabeth Gruene: We have assembled a team of experts with deep expertise and decades of experience in the comic book space. Our head grader has a wealth of knowledge on grading, pressing, pedigrees, and restoring comic books. He also used to be a comic book dealer himself and has worked at a top auction house selling comics. We are currently hiring and continue to seek out the best talent in the comic book space.

Price point will also be KPI that will drive business; as well as how they handle signatures.

The label does leave a lot to be desired but that is just how PSA is, all of their slab labels look the same. There could be some change in this avenue though, CGC has only been grading cards for short instance and they have already changed labels three or four times now, finally settling on a beckett clone.

I have two big problems with PSA and i guess many international submiters.

1. They don't help you with the taxes when they send you back the cards. That means that i pay import taxes for my own cards. I don't pay import taxes for my own books when CGC sends them back.

2. The label design is awful.

Also buyers don't take seriously CGC graded cards and they sell for less than PSA and SGC . I think the same will happen with PSA graded comic books ; they will swll for less than CGC 

Edited by Mijael.Levy

On 7/19/2024 at 1:20 PM, Black_Adam said:

How could anyone do it better than CGC? (shrug)

Have you not ventured into the Quality Assurance thread here? :D  Plenty of ways for improvement.

But seriously, PSA are tops for card grading (though I do wish they had sub-grades like BGS, which I think would make it an amazing value added factor over CGC labels) so I see them being a serious consideration for me in the future (especially for comics I'm keeping my PC), and new competition would be better than what we currently have.

I'm sure the label will go through some more iterations, but for now I like it. It has a more 'official' feel to them over CGC and others (which feel almost cartoony in their presentation - it's hard for me to explain) and the unification with their card labels makes sense (but still, not the best labels for either...but I get it)

On 7/19/2024 at 12:08 PM, Mijael.Levy said:

I have two big problems with PSA and i guess many international submiters.

1. They don't help you with the taxes when they send you back the cards. That means that i pay import taxes for my own cards. I don't pay import taxes for my own books when CGC sends them back.

2. The label design is awful.

Also buyers don't take seriously CGC graded cards and they sell for less than PSA and SGC . I think the same will happen with PSA graded comic books ; they will swll for less than CGC 

What about video games? Idk what to look for in sales, but need to send two ps1 games, are cgc comparable?

On 7/19/2024 at 9:34 AM, aardvark88 said:

Interesting who the head grader will be and which state in USA will house their warehouse for grading comics, mags, sig verification.

Apparently the head person in charge is someone who many seasoned dealers were not a big fan of from their dealer practices in the 80/90's. :canofworms:

"Mr Trimmer" I have heard over the years as one person said lol

Edited by NewWorldOrder

It's interesting to see an already established (and to my knowledge fairly well respected) company enter the field as a challenger brand. The natural resistance of many customers to change lanes when the value of their slabs is tied to consumer confidence in the slabbing company will be a big factor, ie if my collection/business is tied to how well regarded CGC is, and their books fetching a premium, I have very little incentive to give PSA a shot regardless of whether they are a "better" service. Like, I'd like to think that competition will make all parties involved up their game from a quality and customer service standpoint, but if the market for slabbed books resists change for fear of tanking the value of their already graded comics, well, that may not be a thing that happens. 

On 7/19/2024 at 11:17 AM, rlextherobot said:

It's interesting to see an already established (and to my knowledge fairly well respected) company enter the field as a challenger brand. The natural resistance of many customers to change lanes when the value of their slabs is tied to consumer confidence in the slabbing company will be a big factor, ie if my collection/business is tied to how well regarded CGC is, and their books fetching a premium, I have very little incentive to give PSA a shot regardless of whether they are a "better" service. Like, I'd like to think that competition will make all parties involved up their game from a quality and customer service standpoint, but if the market for slabbed books resists change for fear of tanking the value of their already graded comics, well, that may not be a thing that happens. 

Agreed!

The biggest point one can make here is the only way PSA can make a real impact is if the auction houses and big time dealers buy into PSA.

If not PSA is DOA, just like Voldy!   BTW for Voldy this will probably put them out of business.

Also the biggest headwind for PSA is they needed to come out in 2008-2012-ish.   So they are so far behind the 1st place runner!  There are only finite number of vintage comics and newer comics in general left to be graded.  Especially now with the Ultra Modern not that in demand for constant grading.

The only way they can make a real impact is through CGC crack outs into their PSA holders that in turn provide a higher monetary profit for everyone's bank account.  If that's not the case?  Then who cares. (shrug)

Will this hurt CGC? Sure, they definitely will be getting some less submissions now obviously. 

The real question (more so for Vintage) is who is PSA's restoration expert and head grader?  All it takes is a Hulk #1 CGC 8.5 Purple label to then be in a un-restored PSA label to bring it all down.  Now again if the rumor mill is true then I already question who they have in place.  That name will make CGC less worry some I will put it that way. lol

Now here is the good news.  CGC obviously will have to take PSA seriously, and this only is good for us whether you are a dealer, dirty flipper, or average Joe collector.  It's a win win. 

WWE (CGC) Stone cold The Rock

WCW (PSA) nWo coming?

In my opinion this will make CGC have to tighten things up, and in turn we all win! 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 7/19/2024 at 11:42 AM, namisgr said:

I wonder if Steve B. will be involved.  hm

I am sure he will eventually.  I mean whats one more company for him to bounce around to lol