• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA To Grade Comics In 2025
8 8

219 posts in this topic

On 7/20/2024 at 9:57 AM, Kevin76 said:

Doesn't pay enough, especially to live in CA   

PSA has an office in Seattle, WA but better to put a comic warehouse in Portland, OR, as Oregon has no state tax and lots of vintage comics.

On 7/20/2024 at 7:54 PM, Kevin76 said:

No idea why people want UV protection, I guess they plan on displaying their collection in the sun?  

no idea why people think any grading/slabbing company is going to guarantee any UV protection

nothing but lawsuits waiting to happen

On 7/20/2024 at 11:08 PM, Sauce Dog said:

You know it's perfectly fine to display your books proudly without damaging them, right? I use UV protection on all my rotated displays without any issue - just be smart about it and you can enjoy the art. You can't go one week in any online group without discussion about UV protection or displaying correctly cropping up, so an added measure of protection (which is the entire point of slabbing comics for many people) would make sense as a decent selling point for them.

Again. planning on displaying them in the sunlight? 

On 7/21/2024 at 12:14 AM, uncannyjames said:

Here ya go PSA. I'm not a graphic designer, and I threw this together in around 15-20 minutes. I think it looks better than your prototype and I created it in Paint.NET for gods sake! It allows you to keep your traditional red border with white background and black text and PSA hologram, but it also uses the industry standard blue color on the left, along with a watermark. You're welcome.

psa_label.png

Good Job.  I like it.  Send it to PSA  

On 7/21/2024 at 12:14 AM, uncannyjames said:

Here ya go PSA. I'm not a graphic designer, and I threw this together in around 15-20 minutes. I think it looks better than your prototype and I created it in Paint.NET for gods sake! It allows you to keep your traditional red border with white background and black text and PSA hologram, but it also uses the industry standard blue color on the left, along with a watermark. You're welcome.

psa_label.png

Gawd bless 'Merica! This gets me right in my red, white and blues. :Rocket:

On 7/21/2024 at 1:22 AM, Kevin76 said:

Again. planning on displaying them in the sunlight? 

Nobody is sticking their books in a full direct sunbeam (regardless of protection methods used). One can be smart about it and still enjoy their books on display. You don't have to just buy books and file them away in a box forever - just don't be a dummy about it.

People want to display their books, this is clear from the amount of times it is talked about on all the groups I'm on and people I talk with, and they have the desire to take the care to do it correctly, so having an additional method of preservation baked into a slab is an overall positive that I'm not sure why you are against.

On 7/20/2024 at 10:12 AM, shadroch said:

In 1906, the Sunshine Bakery was among the largest and best-selling bakeries in the country. They introduced a new three-layer cookie that took America by storm. 

Two chocolate wafers with a serving of sugar and cream in between. America went crazy over the new cookie with the strange name Hydrox. A few years later, several local bakeries merged to form the National Biscuit Company. As an afterthought, they introduced a discount version of Sunshine's best seller and called it the Oreo. 

Sunshine was first to market and was a much bigger company, yet today, Oreos are the world's best-selling cookie, and Nabisco is internationally recognized.  Sunshine and what are now called droxies are an afterthought.  The PGX of the comic world.

Stranger things have happened.

RIght there's your answer.  

And based on the press release I do not think that PSA is planning to offer their services at a "discount."  

PSA does discounts all the time, especially when they launch a new service. I think they’ve run “specials” on Pops every month since they introduced that. I’m sure to entice comic nerds they’ll try something, at least at first. If they’re still running “submit your comics! 25% off!” promotions a year after the service is launched we’ll know pretty easily they’re still mollywhopped  by CGC

On 7/20/2024 at 9:14 AM, wiparker824 said:

Apparently this is who PSA was consulting, and made sign an NDA… take that for what you will. 

I am not going to listen to this. Who is that guy and does he know anything about comics?

On 7/20/2024 at 9:14 PM, aardvark88 said:

PSA has an office in Seattle, WA but better to put a comic warehouse in Portland, OR, as Oregon has no state tax and lots of vintage comics.

Best place for a comic warhouse would be Alberta/Montana/Colorado - lower temps, low humidity = better natural  paper preservation that saves you $$$ in the long run.

On 7/20/2024 at 7:47 PM, MAR1979 said:

Aren't comics meant to be hidden?

Mine are. I have sell and rebuild compulsion so if I do not bury books/runs I want to keep I sell them. Basically, the thrill of the hunt is all that is left for me as a collector as I have owned multiples of all keys except the big GA keys (Tec #28 was the closest to Tec #27 I have owned) over the years. Now the thrill is in trying to pay as little as I can for a nicer copy of a book that I want. Thankfully, the halving or more on most SA and BA keys the past three years has made that easy.

Another question - does CGC have exclusivity with any of the creators they do SS deals with? If yes, that is a tough one for PSA to overcome.

On 7/21/2024 at 7:24 PM, kimik said:

Another question - does CGC have exclusivity with any of the creators they do SS deals with? If yes, that is a tough one for PSA to overcome.

Or it could if vice versa, all that tmk isn't public knowledge, but it could be that some artists aren't happy and this gives them competition. I wouldn't knock on wood, as that is just life, but to be be aware of, too.

On 7/21/2024 at 8:07 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Or it could if vice versa, all that tmk isn't public knowledge, but it could be that some artists aren't happy and this gives them competition. I wouldn't knock on wood, as that is just life, but to be be aware of, too.

I say that tongue and cheek because to want universality is human, but to the point, Todd McFarlane also has comics that he won't allow cgc to grade, regardless of JSA and etc. 

In some cases like that, artists have pull, and CGC has been in the right to accommodate, which might be in their favor 😉 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM
Punctuation

On 7/22/2024 at 10:24 AM, kimik said:

Why would this even exist?

SS events are essentially one off events, albeit with recurring events for some artists.   This isn't Sony music we're talking about here.

On 7/21/2024 at 8:14 PM, Microchip said:

Why would this even exist?

SS events are essentially one off events, albeit with recurring events for some artists.   This isn't Sony music we're talking about here.

The recurring ones may have exclusivity with CGC. I would try to get that if I were in charge at CGC. There are only a handful of top names in comics that can do multiple signings per year. Locking them up with an exculsive deal is smart business.

On 7/21/2024 at 7:12 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I say that tongue and cheek because to want universality is human, but to the point, Todd McFarlane also has comics that he won't allow cgc to grade, regardless of JSA and etc. 

In some cases like that, artists have pull, and CGC has been in the right to accommodate, which might be in their favor 😉 

At the Calgary Expo, Todd told a friend that asked him whether there would be a witness for the autographs he was getting. Todd told him no, he was doing this signing for free for the fans. He also said that if my friend wanted an witnessed signature that he is only doing that through CGC.

Todd would be one of the creators I would try to get exclusivity with for witnessed/certified signatures if I were CGC.

Edited by kimik