• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA To Grade Comics In 2025
8 8

237 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2024 at 12:35 PM, Sauce Dog said:

like an 'official' respectable certificate

hm

Gives me an idea of old school scrolling borders like paper money or stock certificates.  Wouldn't that be neat!  It would have been really sweet if any of these grading companies had hired an engraver for decorative border design.

On 7/26/2024 at 11:50 AM, Junkdrawer said:

Under close observation, you can see they are not using an inner well. The book like their cards will have the ability to move in all directions. A comic book in the PSA holder as shown will surely experience shaken comic syndrome 

That is a inner well it is sitting in. That is what he is saying can change sizes.

Anyone at SDCC see these in person?

On 7/26/2024 at 3:04 PM, Ryan. said:

Yes.

On 7/26/2024 at 6:12 PM, MrBedrock said:

Yes.

Oh ok.

Ok. Final iteration. 100% PSA Red, White and Black only to keep with their branding. Main differences to their prototype: Smaller lighthouse label. Larger font size for comic book title. Comic book title is left aligned instead of centered. Use of lowercase letters everywhere except the upper left quadrant.

psa-4.png

On 7/22/2024 at 5:25 PM, Tony S said:

When does CGC identify a newsstand edition?

Even though almost every comic book sold prior to 1979 was technically a newsstand edition,

hm

smiley_nah.gif

TARZAN LORD OF THE JUNGLE #2 ORIGIN ISSUE! BRONZE AGE MARVEL COMICS 1977 - Picture 1 of 4

Superman #329 (1978) Whitman variant DC Comics Giordano first printing - Picture 1 of 1

lot of 2 - 1977 Walt Disney Chip N Dale No 46 and 47 -  Whitman Comic Books - Picture 1 of 9

:D

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 7/25/2024 at 8:56 AM, buttock said:

So much for a viable competitor.  

While I agree with the Mark Wilson comments here, I doubt 95% of the people buying slabs have any idea who he is. If PSA fails, I don't think it will be because of who they hired as head grader. Given CGC's ummm... "issues" lately, I'm hoping for a viable competitor, even if it's just so that it forces CGC to clean up their act. Time will tell I guess.

On 7/25/2024 at 4:45 AM, Jaylam said:

Will they deduct from the grade for centering on comic books like they do for cards? I have always thought deducting from the grade of a card for centering when it was manufactured that way (especially how hard they hit the grade for this on an other wise pristine looking card) was just wrong. To me an object's grade should be based on condition: how much it still is like it was when it was made or new, manufacturing defects should not count or if anything count in a subgrade, not the primary grade on condition.

:applause:

• Administrator

The last post was removed, as it was an image of a PSA slab.  We are allowing this conversation take place.  However, posters must follow the terms of use going forward.  Here is the most important line in the terms of use regarding this.

20.  Posting images of competitors books, or promoting a competitors company in any way.  

On 7/28/2024 at 4:53 AM, CGC Mike said:

The last post was removed, as it was an image of a PSA slab.  We are allowing this conversation take place.  However, posters must follow the terms of use going forward.  Here is the most important line in the terms of use regarding this.

20.  Posting images of competitors books, or promoting a competitors company in any way.  

Good idea allowing the thread to stay. Most corporations pay good money for the type of focus group feedback CGC is getting here for free, even if you do have to sift through some garbage. Assuming of course the overlords are willing to listen, which seems debatable given recent events. 

On 7/25/2024 at 7:19 AM, Courageous Cat said:

egads!! That label. Hard pass :sick:

almost as bad as the EGS label 

I've never understood why one label is considered inferior to another in this hobby. I think the PSA label looks fine, but I don't have a horse in this race. I will say that light blue isn't a very "professional looking" color in my opinion, but the slabbers seem to like it.

If I was designing a case the label would be on the back side of the case, and the front of the case would show off the cover of the book and nothing else.  I would hate to have my favorite books in slabs, and every time I looked at them the big obnoxious grade number would be the first thing my eye was drawn to. It isn't Moon Knight fighting a werewolf, it's Moon Knight fighting a werewolf with a big obnoxious 9.0 or whatever squatting above him. (And no, 9.8 wouldn't look any better to me!)

On 7/26/2024 at 3:04 PM, Ryan. said:

Yup.  Personally, I don't think they present any real competition to CGC, unless they go back to the drawing board and redesign their holder.  But with Mark Wilson as the head grader, I would rather use PGX instead.  But that's just me.

Late to the party but my 2c : The color red is death in professional comic book grading labels. If CGC (and CBCS) has proved anything over the years; color matters. At this point, I doubt CGC is worried about this much.

The death knell had been sounded for CBCS, however. First, CGC offers authenticated signatures, now this...