• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Submission
3 3

18 posts in this topic

Submitted my very 1st set of books today.  Put notes on there to handle with care.   Pretty exciting, but hoping box gets there safely.

Question: May I get the plastics and boards back?  Will definitely use them again.  Thank you.

Rob C, Menifee CA

• Administrator
On 7/26/2024 at 5:44 PM, Srobin said:

Submitted my very 1st set of books today.  Put notes on there to handle with care.   Pretty exciting, but hoping box gets there safely.

Question: May I get the plastics and boards back?  Will definitely use them again.  Thank you.

Rob C, Menifee CA

Hi

Congratulations on your first submission.  You will not get the bags and boards back.  Sorry.

Not too much work for the rep to put bags/boards in a pile, and not much weight either to ship back with slabs.  Spent 30 bucks on those.  Why trash them?

On 7/29/2024 at 7:14 PM, Srobin said:

Not too much work for the rep to put bags/boards in a pile, and not much weight either to ship back with slabs.  Spent 30 bucks on those.  Why trash them?

You should research large operation assembly line logistics functions and then consider the practicality of your concerns. 

More specifically, the person that receives your shipment isn't the same person that opens and records it who isn't the same person that preps your books who isn't the same person that inventories them in the grading queue who isn't the same person that grades the books and so on.

Rob, 

Congratulations on your first submission. After years of consideration, I finally submitted my first batch to CGC yesterday. I was just hesitant to send in some books that I have personally owned for decades. That being said, my prior research indicated that CGC would discard the materials you ship with, so I made the effort to replace all of my mylars with new but much cheaper Golden Age bags and boards. I agree with Ryan's assessment in that they simply have too much stuff going on to track packaging materials and return. However, I would hope that they would either recycle or donate to junior collectors instead of simply throwing it all away. 

Anyhow, good luck with your grades, processing, and rapid return times!

Steve 

I  submitted  a batch  during  the JULY press and grade SALE.

I knew I would not get supplies back, so I recovered my better bags/boards/micro chamber paper, and even put them  2 to a bag/board  so I could fir more into a USPS medium box.

My onoly other submission was a decade ago when I found out that my X_MEN  #1  ( sold to me as an unrestored NM)  was  actually PLOD 8.5

hope none of these 40 books come back PLOD

Hi, Mike.

Last I checked, my shipment arrived at CGC.  Now I check again and it says "no record of anything submitted less than 8 months ago."  Also says turn around time is 15 days.  It's been 2 weeks.  Does that mean they are almost done?  Does 15 days mean books are shipped back on the 15th day?

Why are there are no phone numbers to talk to anyone?

Rob

• Administrator

Hi Rob

Here is the contact info.  

Hours (Weekdays):
8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EST

Call or text (+1) 855-GRADE10 (855-472-3310)
Message and data rates may apply for text messages.
Service@CGCcomics.com

You can also start a thread in the Ask CGC section on this forum.  Here is a link.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/23-ask-cgc/

Rob, 

You must have fast tracked your shipment - good call? I am in no hurry, but I am a little concerned about Hurricane Debbie flooding areas in northwestern Florida - especially, the Sarasota area!?! I have never been to the CGC facility, but hopefully it was built on higher grounds!

My status remains... "still not opened", but it has only been 5 days. I do look forward to reading your updates when posted. Take care and good luck!

Steve

Also CGC's version of "turn around times" is counted in CGC Business Days only.

In theory the clock starts ticking when the books are fully checked in and you can see them on your account. A business day does not include weekends, holidays, CGC holidays, hang over after convention Monday's, early out pre-party Friday's, or any day deemed not going to work today by CGC (some of these may not be technically true). The clock stops when they are graded, shipping/processing time is not included.

Hi, Mike.

Received all my books back this week.  Pretty happy with the return timeliness.  Wish I could say the same with the graded books.  Was obvious books were graded by multiple graders because of the inconsistencies.  Some books I submitted were read by all my kids and I and received 9.6's while others I bought brand new from the shop, untouched and un-opened and received 9.4's and 9.2's.  I tried to find problems on some of the books but I couldn't.  Some of the comments from the graders said "bent light."  I'm not sure if they are shining light across the covers but I thought books were visually examined.  In my opinion, if books are bought from the store as "brand new" and untouched and unopened, they should receive better scores than a 9.4

I want to re-submit some of the books that I feel were inaccurate.  Will I be charged again for shipping and grading if those books receive better scores the second time?  Would it make sense for the company to cover the fees if the mistakes were the graders'?  I would think they would not admit to it.

Please reply.

Rob

• Administrator
On 8/24/2024 at 4:05 PM, Srobin said:

Please reply.

Hi Rob. 

I am sorry you were not pleased with the grades on some of your books.  These questions will need to be answered by customer service.  I will flag @MattM CS to this thread.  I am not sure if he will be visiting the forum Monday or Tuesday.  Otherwise, You can use the contact info that I have provided above.  

Mike

On 8/24/2024 at 4:05 PM, Srobin said:

Hi, Mike.

Received all my books back this week.  Pretty happy with the return timeliness.  Wish I could say the same with the graded books.  Was obvious books were graded by multiple graders because of the inconsistencies.  Some books I submitted were read by all my kids and I and received 9.6's while others I bought brand new from the shop, untouched and un-opened and received 9.4's and 9.2's.  I tried to find problems on some of the books but I couldn't.  Some of the comments from the graders said "bent light."  I'm not sure if they are shining light across the covers but I thought books were visually examined.  In my opinion, if books are bought from the store as "brand new" and untouched and unopened, they should receive better scores than a 9.4

I want to re-submit some of the books that I feel were inaccurate.  Will I be charged again for shipping and grading if those books receive better scores the second time?  Would it make sense for the company to cover the fees if the mistakes were the graders'?  I would think they would not admit to it.

Please reply.

Rob

Hey Rob. Sorry you are having a rough go with the submission. I will say nothing to defend nor attack CGC. I just want to comment that although a book is unopened/never read and straight from the LCS doesn't guarantee a 9.4 or better. Books are handled and possibly mishandled several times from printer to shipping to the shop shelf. Even Dave Sim struggled to find NM examples of Cerebus #1 and he grabbed them right from the printer. I know that example is extreme but you should never make that assumption. If anything, it's your one opportunity to fan through several copies and pick the best one. I've done that on several occasions realizing that the best copy wasn't even NM.

Rob, 

Thanks for providing us all with an update of your first submission. I am anxiously anticipating mine but remain realistic that my grades will probably come back graded at least a bit lower than what I would expect. The majority of mine were Golden Age survivors, to include a few that I requested a qualified grade for if 1.0 or more better (i.e., one '40's book only came with a single printing staple that was detached, but otherwise presented extremely well). My intent was to "preserve" the majority before further damage happened to them. My lesson has been learned from purchasing several Silver Age DC comics in the past with covers attached, but over a few decades all became brittle and split. 

Anyhow, good luck with your customer service inquiry. Please share how things work out for you!
Steve