• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 9.4
5 5

22 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2024 at 7:21 PM, KCOComics said:

It would be helpful to post graders notes. 

I didn't pick up any obviously pressable defects, but sometimes pictures can be hard to see. 

There are a lot of spine ticks, and some fairly sizable ones. Possibly CT removal? I would be concerned with the grade going down to a 9.2 or 9.0 with a resub. 

Agreed.  

At this point you have to assume any IH 181 has already been pressed.  

On 8/28/2024 at 9:21 PM, KCOComics said:

There are a lot of spine ticks, and some fairly sizable ones. Possibly CT removal? I would be concerned with the grade going down to a 9.2 or 9.0 with a resub. 

My thoughts exactly.  Whomever assessed this book and slapped that grade on it was extremely "generous", IMHO.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but the old adage rings true:  Buy the book...not the grade.

That submission in November of 2018 was LOADED with very high value key books.

This is not going to end well.

Guys, it's like amateur hour in here. doh!

We're 25 years into these CGC discussions and the digital age. 

For one, you CANNOT compare relatively small scans to each other to figure out relative grades. Every scanner represents defects differently and can either hide or exaggerate defects.

Plus, you can't tell how tight or loose a book is graded just from the front cover (as if this needs to be pointed out).

Finally, we'd need to see larger, much clearer scans of the OP's 1st book in the thread to get a proper idea to even begin answering the question. 

Oy vey!

Edited by VintageComics

On 9/12/2024 at 6:37 AM, KCOComics said:

While I can appreciate your point,  I think we can see enough with this comic to recommend not sending it in. 

There would be a significant risk of it coming back a lower grade with the spine tics we see alone. 

People ask for advice. We take the information we have and try to give advice. 

In my day to day life there are exactly 0 people who ask for my opinions on comic books. Here, this useless knowledge I've acquired could actually serve a purpose. So I always try to help if I feel I can. 

My comment was more directed at the longtime members, who were comparing their grades with the OPs as proof of what a specific grade should look like. 

Neither of their books are "proofs" of what a book should look like in grade. In fact, if they were keepers, they're likely exceptional examples of what a book should look like in grade.

You need large clear scans of the front and rear (assuming there's no hidden defects) to assess them properly. Everyone knows this (or should).

And as far as I'm concerned, both of those books posted after the OP (the 9.2 and the 9.6) look like 9.8's from their unclear scans and not like a 9.2 or a 9.6, because small scans hide defects, so not really helpful at all. 

I do agree that the OP's 9.4 looks loosely graded and I should have said that, but the quality of the pics are pretty poor, which is why I asked for better pics.

On 9/12/2024 at 2:41 PM, Yorick said:

Swap book?

The grader's notes aren't a perfect match, describing corner wear being at the lower right instead of the lower left.  But they might just have written 'right' instead of 'left' when creating the notes by mistake.