• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,773 posts in this topic

I got this in San Diego 2006. We were wandering around the convention floor and one of the reps from Every Picture Tells A Story that we had spoken with earlier caught us and asked if we would like to meet John K. My wife had no idea who he was, but I confirmed that she meant John Kricfalusi, creator of Ren and Stimpy. The rep said "yes" and we were on our way. We about three places back in line with this kind of cute but nerdy looking girl in front of us. She was obviously giddy. She met John K. and immediately handed him a comic book of her own creation. He looked at it for a second and said "Oh wow, YOU do this?" she said yes and he continued, "I have your site saved as one of my favorites!, I love your stuff!" He went on and on about her work while we waited. I didn't mind, it was really cool to see a fan's obvious hero become a fan of the fan. They went on for what felt like forever before he did a sketch for her and gave her his phone number and private email address. My wife was next and she got a sketch for my brother and then I got one. I asked for Fire Dogs, to which he kind of mumbled, "Not one of mine, but okay......" I explained I was a fire fighter and that seemed to make it okay. Here's the final result......

71348.jpg.18bd5213e8517e0e85756d3a3b27f078.jpg

Sorry, I love storytelling......

Looking for the Ren and Stimpy piece, I found another one from SDCC 2006 by John Romita Sr.

I waited in line for the HERO Initiative's signing with him. He would sign all you wanted for any donation to HERO. Most fans were both reasonable and generous with only one or two books for anywhere from $5-$50. The guy directly in front of us was the exception. He had almost a short box full of books and gave a buck. One lousy buck. John smiled and signed away. All the while my wife was chatting Mrs. Romita up and they were having a grand time. I finally got my turn, dropped $50 in and asked for a sketch on a backboard. He said he just couldn't right then and quickly signed it. His wife said he could do a quick one to which he said no again. She said, "do the Spidey eyes, you can do that quick" to which he looked at me with an expression of "does your wife do this sort of thing to you too?" and whipped out some Spidey eyes. His wife said, "See? That was quick, but they're small. Put some Spidey sense around them." He chuckled and went back to work doing some quick webbing. I asked if I could get a picture in between people in line to which he agreed. He has to be one of the genuinely nicest guys in the business. Then end results are below.

71349.jpg.9a7b94fe976c6a3887eb3fc385785c49.jpg

71351.jpg.5add7d225553a96ee985e1dbd7d58db0.jpg

Sorry, I love storytelling......

Looking for the Ren and Stimpy piece, I found another one from SDCC 2006 by John Romita Sr.

I waited in line for the HERO Initiative's signing with him. He would sign all you wanted for any donation to HERO. Most fans were both reasonable and generous with only one or two books for anywhere from $5-$50. The guy directly in front of us was the exception. He had almost a short box full of books and gave a buck. One lousy buck. John smiled and signed away. All the while my wife was chatting Mrs. Romita up and they were having a grand time. I finally got my turn, dropped $50 in and asked for a sketch on a backboard. He said he just couldn't right then and quickly signed it. His wife said he could do a quick one to which he said no again. She said, "do the Spidey eyes, you can do that quick" to which he looked at me with an expression of "does your wife do this sort of thing to you too?" and whipped out some Spidey eyes. His wife said, "See? That was quick, but they're small. Put some Spidey sense around them." He chuckled and went back to work doing some quick webbing. I asked if I could get a picture in between people in line to which he agreed. He has to be one of the genuinely nicest guys in the business. Then end results are below.

JR Sr is a class act!

I've not read Sandman. :sorry:

But I loved the Corben illo! :banana: