• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,761 posts in this topic

Sadly, I couldn't afford any of the 12 iconic Watchmen covers recently auctioned by Heritage. However, I did win a nice consolidation…Gibbon's Comics Journal #116 cover :cloud9: published July 1987, concurrent with the original series.

Here's the published cover:

11842566655_2f09382569_z.jpg

Aside from the big "Smiley face" still life in the composition, I found a few "Easter eggs" and symbolic elements that Gibbons/Moore presented in the cover: "Made in England" pencil, cigarette burns on Moore's card (prodigious smoker), etc. Can you identify more?

Here's the original art: Watchmen 1987

Enjoy!

This is something that bugs me, and I'd like to know if this is normal practice by artists.

I bought this from Dan Parent off ebay. The first scan is his auction image, the second scan is what I received. The 2 are obviously different.

This has only happened to me once before when after being outbid, the artist offered to create me another, but said it would be an original. I was expecting a completely different image, but it was an exact copy (just subtle differences) of the one I bid on.

Do you think in this case, Dan did the same thing, but sent me the re-make ?

Archie_zpsf43b2592.jpg

Archie2_zps4606c80a.jpg

This is something that bugs me, and I'd like to know if this is normal practice by artists.

I bought this from Dan Parent off ebay. The first scan is his auction image, the second scan is what I received. The 2 are obviously different.

This has only happened to me once before when after being outbid, the artist offered to create me another, but said it would be an original. I was expecting a completely different image, but it was an exact copy (just subtle differences) of the one I bid on.

Do you think in this case, Dan did the same thing, but sent me the re-make ?

So similar yet, as you said, different. Why don't you ask him?

Wow, that's pretty lame. It's hard to compare a scan and a photo, so I won't say which I prefer. But just talking about business, it seems obvious that if your customer is not going to receive that's pictured, you should make that clear.

I saw that listing and wondered if you might pick it up! :applause:

lol I originally tried to get this one, but I was too cheap and too late. Now that I've got mine in hand though, I don't think I'd trade it. It feels more like a more Swamp Thingish pose to me.

I'd be mad if that happened to me. Personally I like the first image better.

I like the first one better to :(

I will think about how to word it and ask him.

I was going to ask him for a commission. A couple months ago I picked up my nice shiny black 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited :) and I wanted him to draw Betty and Veronica washing my car, but I dont think I'm going to now :(

I saw that listing and wondered if you might pick it up! :applause:

lol I originally tried to get this one, but I was too cheap and too late. Now that I've got mine in hand though, I don't think I'd trade it. It feels more like a more Swamp Thingish pose to me.

I think you ended up with the better one. With no offense intended to Mr. Wrightson, for some reason the other one looks like King Kong took a dip in the ocean and came up with a bunch of seaweed all over him to me. (shrug)

Dan did work for me and I found him really easy to work with. Contact him and ask about the piece.

Thank you, nice one you got from him, congrats :)

I just sent him a message, and he responded right away, even this early in the morning lol

Heres his reply:

Hi, I'm sorry I'm noticing now that I posted the wrong pic! I did one for commission and one for auction, and they got switched. They were so similiar, I didn't even notice. I'll pay closer attention next time!

Thanks,

Dan

Your right, but I will just keep it and chalk it up to another learning experience. With shipping it cost me just over $100

What bothers me most is when I buy OA, Im expecting it to be original. I understand that some will be similiar, especially random sketches of popular characters, but not an exact copy. It looks like he traced the original and just coloured it in.

Kind of like getting a tatoo, most want it to be something that noone else has.

Thanks for all your input guys !

It looks to me like he redrew it, but if it bothers you that there are multiple versions, and you didn't know that when you bought it, then I don't think it's unreasonable to want t send it back, and I bet he wouldn't hold it against you.