• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC All In/Absolute
1 1

62 posts in this topic

I thought is was a great first issue. I find it really is an interesting take with this universe existing side by side with the current DC universe, A universe that has zero hope. A Batman with no money, a Wonder Woman with no Amazons or Themyscera, and a Superman with no Kents. Its interesting to see what they have coming up. Most excited I've been about DC in awhile. 

Artistically, Nick did a really great job with pacing and keeping the action moving. I loved his art on Fantastic Four/Future Foundation and East of West. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy either. 

On 10/15/2024 at 7:23 PM, Stefanomjr said:

That was Kyle K - he was big on Batman artwork. Capullo New 52 Batman, Sean Murphy White Knight, Jock, Jim Lee Hush, Tim Sale Long Halloween...he made a big splash in the hobby picking up that Capullo Batman #1 cover and a short while later sold it all. To your point....Kyle K reach out to me, when he was selling everything, offered me the Long Halloween cover for $30k - privately - I passed. Offered me a great half splash Joker page from White Knight #1 for $3k - I passed. Someone else picked them up....the Long Halloween eventually ended up on CLink and sold for, I think $60k, and the White Knight panel page sold for $10k. "Expensive" is all relative. 

You can hear Felix interview Kyle K here: https://www.felixcomicart.com/podcastdetail.asp?pid=29

I was wondering whether he was still in the hobby. He has gone quiet so I wasn't sure if he left, or kept what he had but didn't get more.

Thanks for letting us know what happened.

Malvin

I have heard of a few modern covers selling for this or higher, but this definitely an unexpected surprise given the fresh release.  Does anyone have a list of the highest modern comic art sales?  It would be interesting to see a Top 10 sort of thing.

Edited by Shaun Hill

I don't think there is a definitive list as many of the big sales happen privately.  In terms of public sales, the Secret Wars #8 page and Dark Knight #1 cover were the two biggest I recall over the past several years.  I suspect the upcoming New Mutants #98 page will be up there. The Jim Lee X-Men #1 connecting cover was listed publicly but sold privately, so the exact number wasn't disclosed.  Not sure if that is what you're looking for.  Side note, I also wish "Modern" wasn't a catchall for everything post mid 1980s.   If feels like we really need some differentiators.

On 10/16/2024 at 8:03 PM, Xatari said:

Side note, I also wish "Modern" wasn't a catchall for everything post mid 1980s.   If feels like we really need some differentiators.

Ha! Yeah, for me, "Modern" refers to the Quitely NewX-Men / Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man era...... which was 25 years ago. :jawdrop:

Edited by J.Sid

Big DC panel at NYCC was all about Absolute with ABSOLUTE BATMAN anchoring it all. Lots of fun reveals, which can be easily found online now.

I’m especially excited though to finally be able to share this variant cover for issue #4 from one of my artists (excuse me, one of the artists I rep), James Harren. Truly offensive anatomy to the easily triggered, who are advised to advert their eyes now.

16045F5E-F163-4EAD-8F6C-46DA23EB6B6B.jpeg

I hope DC figures this out and it's not just another Future State or Death Metal. I want comics to be successful and have enjoyed Marvel's Ultimate titles.  Maybe this will be DC's answer.  They have relied too long on Bat-related titles to carry them IMO, so I am interested to see what the other titles bring to the table.

On 10/20/2024 at 2:28 PM, Nexus said:

Big DC panel at NYCC was all about Absolute with ABSOLUTE BATMAN anchoring it all. Lots of fun reveals, which can be easily found online now.

I’m especially excited though to finally be able to share this variant cover for issue #4 from one of my artists (excuse me, one of the artists I rep), James Harren. Truly offensive anatomy to the easily triggered, who are advised to advert their eyes now.

16045F5E-F163-4EAD-8F6C-46DA23EB6B6B.jpeg

Is that real Zip-a-tone? I thought the company was defunct.

Just thought I would add my 2 cents. As far as I am concerned, almost all published art is at least very good. It mostly comes down to preferences of style. Some people like art deco, some people like art nouveau, some people like both. To me, it’s a statement piece. He does look a bit like he’s constipated, but that’s a fair reflection of his character.

I'm sure this is a well-done story and the art looks cool. But...it's kind of depressing when the Big Two just do new iterations of their old properties every 6 months. How about creating a NEW character? A poor working class schlub who decides that Batman doesn't go far enough and has to build his whole costume and arsenal from scratch? And...it's not secretly Dick Grayson, or some already established character? Maybe it's a black guy who is tired of Batman seemingly only focused on street crime afflicting white neighborhoods? I dunno. Try something new.

Edited by PhilipB2k17