• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flooded
2 2

13 posts in this topic

On 10/13/2024 at 8:36 PM, Lazyboy said:

:frown:

Based on the kind of stuff that's visible, if they need to be dried out, they're garbage. If any managed to actually avoid the water, they may be salvageable.

I would agree with this! 

Although there are alot of comics down there so I'm not sure if what's visible represents the entire collection. 

Did you have any inventory system? Any sense for any GA or SA keys ? 

That's a sad picture. :cry:

The water looks to have gotten up pretty high so hopefully you have some sort of insurance. Seems like a total loss.

Having helped at my local store after a fire (and associated water damage from fighting the fire), I can say that the amount of damage can be very weird depending on exactly where in the box any given book was.  It's probably worth looking for higher value books and books with less damage.  Going through a box could be destroyed, destroyed, damaged but not too bad, nearly untouched, and so on in an almost random pattern.

But expect a lot to be a total write off.

Looking at the picture and storage if these were kept in the same dirt floor style barn you likely have other issues that affect the books as well (insects, humidity, and rodent). Ideally you have already separated out the truly valuable books from the collection. The amount of work needed to save these is probably going to cost more than the actual value so I would just claim insurance and focus on preparing for the future so it does not happen again.

As an auction house I'm assuming most if not all of the stock on hand has been consigned to you by private individuals, comic shops or third parties. Depending on just how disorganised the stock has become (and it looks pretty chaotic,) it could prove difficult to impossible to assess who consigned what and reckon what can be returned to them in good condition. This begins to look like a total loss and a mass of insurance payouts to the consignors. 

"Storage building" and "vintage comics" don't really belong in the same sentence. And "Auction company" and "Storage building" is just asking for trouble. Who owns the comics? The OP?? Someone else? Numerous someone elses? Were they just stored there indefinitely or were they awaiting an auction? If so, what value was expected to be realised?? Were the majority multiples of Turok Son of Stone valued at 10 cents each (total value $5000) or runs of desirable 1960s/1970s comics with an average price of $10 (total value $500,000)? Or did the longboxes contain Alan Class comics, pence Charltons, ACGs, low run 1980s black and white Independents in which case the value is incalculable.