• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The original MARVEL COMICS Silver Age STAMPS Artwork

43 posts in this topic

I appreciate that Mark turns up lots of (otherwise) important pieces of art, and it has ocurred to me that not many people may want to participate in this discussion, on the off-chance it might prejudice possible future deals with Mark? confused-smiley-013.gif

For myself, I think this definitely needs to be highlighted to any potential buyers or would-be traders. 893naughty-thumb.gif

For what it's worth Terry, I'd agree with you. Your comment prompted me to recognise that your conclusions might seem a fait accompli but I wouldn't like to think I kept mum just cause it might queer a future deal.

What if he's simply accepted someone else's sales pitch and now the possibilty that his rare score is in fact just a piece of paper is too horrible to contemplate? Of course you potentially putting him on notice as to authenticity issues puts things on shaky ground for a future transaction.

Has anyone asked for the provenance of the piece(s)?

joseph

I appreciate that Mark turns up lots of (otherwise) important pieces of art, and it has ocurred to me that not many people may want to participate in this discussion, on the off-chance it might prejudice possible future deals with Mark? confused-smiley-013.gif

For myself, I think this definitely needs to be highlighted to any potential buyers or would-be traders. 893naughty-thumb.gif

For what it's worth Terry, I'd agree with you. Your comment prompted me to recognise that your conclusions might seem a fait accompli but I wouldn't like to think I kept mum just cause it might queer a future deal.

What if he's simply accepted someone else's sales pitch and now the possibilty that his rare score is in fact just a piece of paper is too horrible to contemplate? Of course you potentially putting him on notice as to authenticity issues puts things on shaky ground for a future transaction.

joseph

I would like to know as well. He's had them on his site for quite a while, and these are pretty big claims. I would just liketo see some data either way.

joseph

Mark recently joined this Collector's Society and is well aware of my contentions (either through this site or via personal e-mail), so if he's reading perhaps he could attempt to authenticate his claims?

Yes, I imagine that he was probably suckered into buying them himself and is reluctant to contemplate that they're unlikely to be as 'historically important' as he may have been led to believe? Certainly, he's took the time and effort to dress these things up in nice little individual frames with metal name plates.

As an interesting aside, when I first contacted Mark he was claiming his DAREDEVIL stamp was the work of Bill Everett. When I pointed out that the image was based on Wally Wood's re-designed costume that debuted in DD # 7, Mark quickly changed the artist ID to Woody. Then his contention was that, prior to Bill Everett, drawing DD's debut # 1 appearance, Wally Wood originated the character's first time (pencil-to-paper) appearance in a different costume . . .

I don't know how the latter sounds to you, dear reader, but in my book that's totally screwy.gif

I'm not entirely sure where these stamps were used and when or if they appeared - but they were obviously some kind of spin-off merchandising based on established Marvel characters (as opposed to "first time pencil-to-paper" debut appearances for some of them).

Maybe Mark could now chime in and offer something a little more concrete to back his claims up? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Aside from the number of blatant contradictions, under what circumstances would a publisher debut characters on stamps? The whole concept is ridiculous, and the art is horrible. I don't think we have to worry about anyone being dumb enough to buy those claims...or those stamps. If anyone has that much money and that little sense, it's their own fault.

Check out Mark's SIMPLY THE BEST web-site for a full range of the stamps . . .

As for the artwork being 'nice', they look badly drawn to me - especially the Spidey image.

any chance of a link?

and if those were drawn by a Bullpen artist, i'll eat Buckingham Palace. Art Simek, maybe, but Wally Wood? are you out of your mind?

Check out Mark's SIMPLY THE BEST web-site for a full range of the stamps . . .

As for the artwork being 'nice', they look badly drawn to me - especially the Spidey image.

any chance of a link?

and if those were drawn by a Bullpen artist, i'll eat Buckingham Palace. Art Simek, maybe, but Wally Wood? are you out of your mind?

Try clicking onto this link (and scroll down the page for individully listed stamp characters):

http://www.virtualcomicartcon.com/trade.htm

As for Artie Simek . . . well, Artie was a good letterer . . .and one of the (ahem) 'hallmarks' of these . . . uhm . . .historically-important 'artworks' (?) is the expertly-lettered yeahok.gif character names. wink.gif

A blast from the past. 

Deserves a modern day bump.

I'd bet a lot of guys posting now weren't in the OA hobby back when this "rare opportunity" presented itself. lol 

13 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

A blast from the past. 

I'd bet a lot of guys posting now weren't in the OA hobby back when this "rare opportunity" presented itself. lol 

I was collecting Kitson instead of Kirby, Bolland and Stevens :tonofbricks:

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

A blast from the past. 

Oh man. You're going there. lol   Ive been biting my tongue on a lot MM Simply the Best "memories" from back in the day... 

Edited by Khazano

1 minute ago, Khazano said:

Oh man. You're going there. lol   Ive been biting my tongue on a lot MM Simply the Best "memories" from back in the day... 

And here I am wondering about what I am missing recently. I guess I get to play the new guy card - what is Simply The Best? 

9 minutes ago, Khazano said:

We are all the sum of our past words and actions. They determine exactly how everything that follows is taken and from what perspective. 

26 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

We are all the sum of our past words and actions. They determine exactly how everything that follows is taken and from what perspective. 

Bugger.

2 hours ago, comix4fun said:

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

Bugger.

Soooooo.......whatcha mean by that?

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Soooooo.......whatcha mean by that?

Nothing sinister. 'Bugger' is a word we English sometimes use to imply regret. I was just considering my own past words and actions, that's all. It is my birthday soon you know :wink: