• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you first learn of the CGC forum?

328 posts in this topic

Gotta love our rallying cry smile.gif

I probably deserved it. Apparently I breeched protocol by initially posting in a controversial thread. I didn’t know that newbies were only supposed to post friendly graemlins or limit discussion in topics such as which superhero is strongest? confused-smiley-013.gif

Chrisco37! 27_laughing.gif ...probably a drunken driveby posting, more likely

1-800-NM-COMICS - this number is the answer to all!
If you call them, they will tell you all about the Ewert fiasco as well!

I may just make it my sig 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I joined because of rickdogg too, I think...it's been so long. I've only participated on the ebay comics board before that and I felt lost since my collecting at the time was strictly off the shelf modern. I had a longbox or two of Copper Age and some Bronze mixed in so I felt a bit out of place there.

i came here to worship at the feet of FFB. there's a small congregation of FFB worshippers in the strip mall just down the road from me, and they kept badgering me for spare change whenever i left one of the stores. so i took home one of their booklets - a strange amalgam of "The Art of Internet Debate" and the positive aspects of comic book conservation - and became quickly hooked. plus i think i was drunk on a nice Russian River Valley Pinot Noir at the time, which as we all know just adds to the FFB effect. when i got here, i saw that there was already a sizable contingent of FFB worshippers, so i just fit right on in...

actually, I was bored at work, did a search on comics, and found this forum. from there, it was very similar to tth2's experience;

...unlike some recent newbies who seem to like to start new threads asking whatever question is at the top of their little heads at any given moment, I lurked for a few months and ran a bunch of searches to read up on what people had been saying about various issues before I finally posted.

ahh...bitterness towards the n00bs... cloud9.gif

Was wanting to start picking up Atomic and Golden Age. Wanted to see some cover images so I did a search on Google.

Found a weird item called "Have a Cigar" where people were actually able to make comments about a book. The comments were give and take and that appealed to me as being much better than a simple website displaying images and giving only the commments of the guy making the page. thumbsup2.gif

i was just learning that i had probably been burned by ComicKeys over on the E-bay site and Garthgantu told me to come over here and learn more about the man ..................(this was almost 2 years ago to the day).

i started-in posting on day one as i had a need for Hammer onfo............... blush.gif

It seems as if many of us were referred to this forum from other members. Same here. After I had won an $1,800 lot auction from a devious Canadian Ebayer, Burntboy (Harry at the time) contacted me to warn me about paying this person, in which I was likely to be ripped off if I did. I had no idea who this Harry guy was, and I was obligated to pay for the auction anyway. So I did. Turned out later that the key book in the lot was trimmed and overgraded. I should have listened. So I contacted Harry to tell him that he was right, and I also mentioned another much worse scam that I had just been the victim of on Ebay. He said to join the CGC Forums as there were many guys here that could help or advise me with my problem. So I did. hi.gif

I was looking at the cgc rates as i did periodically (have never submitted a book) and saw forum so i said what they hey and now i know 10x more about comics in 4 months than i ever did

I was wondering why all these "CGC" comics were selling for multiples of their raw counterparts so I searched google, found the main CGC page and came to the forum.

Four years later I'm still trying to figure out why CGC books sell for multiples of their raw counterparts. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I did a search for San Diego Comicon and one of the entries was a thread on the forums about attending a forum dinner. So after making my very first post about attending, Greggy trolled me.