• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you first learn of the CGC forum?

328 posts in this topic

I was originally told by a collector who had a full box of Spectacular Spider-Man #2 magazines. He knew once CGC graded magazines that they would be worth a bundle in NM condition.

I finally joined the boards and started posting after Bronty won a few auctions from me and invited me onto the boards.

yay.gif

I came across CGC from an advertisement in the Overstreet Price Guide and found these forums shortly after visiting CGC's website. I lurked for a while, learning so much about this great hobby from the threads herein. I've been hooked ever since.

Casey

I found CPG when I was starting to get back into comics. After awhile, I found their message boards and lurked there occasionally for a few months. I finally decided to join the boards there, but when I went to activate my account something malfunctioned. At the time, things were going downhill there, so I just didn't bother with it. While I was lurking there, I clicked on a few links to threads here, and that was my first exposure to these boards. Unfortunately, those threads didn't exactly do a good job of enticing me to check out the rest of this place. I started lurking at STL, and after coming here through thread links a few more times, I started actually looking around. Then I finally joined both here and at STL. And now I spend too much damn time looking (and occasionally posting) at comics message boards.

I was thinking tonight about how many hundreds of people post here and started wondering where everyone came from, so to speak.

Personally, Steve Borock told me about these forums when I called to ask about having a book graded that I had won from ebay seller Comic-Keys right as the CBG story was breaking.

How did the rest of you guys find this place? If you lurked for a while, what was the impetus that started you posting? I think it could be interesting to find out how everyone made it here, so post away with your stories!

Comic-Keys brought me here also.

I had exchanged a couple of emails with James Rudd(Fantastic-Four), though I don't remember how that started. Anyway, he told me about this place, but I never checked it out. A few months later, I sent in the first of the 2 "VF/NM" Avengers #1's, it came back restored, and I came here to try to find info on him. Turns out, the first thread I read ended up being one of the most infamous threads we've ever had here, where Comic-Keys was posting as "Methuselah" and was "outed".

I was thinking tonight about how many hundreds of people post here and started wondering where everyone came from, so to speak.

Personally, Steve Borock told me about these forums when I called to ask about having a book graded that I had won from ebay seller Comic-Keys right as the CBG story was breaking.

How did the rest of you guys find this place? If you lurked for a while, what was the impetus that started you posting? I think it could be interesting to find out how everyone made it here, so post away with your stories!

I had exchanged a couple of emails with James Rudd(Fantastic-Four), though I don't remember how that started. Anyway, he told me about this place, but I never checked it out. A few months later, I sent in the first of the 2 "VF/NM" Avengers #1's, it came back restored, and I came here to try to find info on him. Turns out, the first thread I read ended up being one of the most infamous threads we've ever had here, where Comic-Keys was posting as "Methuselah" and was "outed".

Got a link to that thread? id love to read it

When I've got a little more time, I'll try to dig it out, but Supa might have it on hand.

There was also a thread around the same time that had to do with "notch-top". Very interesting stuff....it was the "golden age" of this forum, IMO. We've gotten a lot of great members since, but those were the days.

gossip.gif He's still posting here.

I don't doubt it. I don't think he ever left, but I've given up trying to keep track.

i just bumped the THREAD or you can click on the link to the thread. thumbsup2.gif

I first heard/read about CGC in Wizard Magazine...(so, I guess that Wizard is good for something! 893applaud-thumb.gif )

I was researching this "CGC" "slabbing" business a couple three years ago, and after a little poking around, found the CGC site, then these forums.

I've been a way for quite a while but enjoyed the sense of community when I was actively reading and posting.

I'll be better now. I promise.