• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you first learn of the CGC forum?

328 posts in this topic

Dazzler? confused-smiley-013.gif

I didn't see your story on here yet. Just a feeble declaration that you could quit if you wanted to.

As if.... 27_laughing.gif

I....I.....don't remember. tongue.gif

Actually, as I recall, I had gotten back into collecting in July 2002 with a visit to the Big Apple Con held at the old location in the church basement up near Lincoln Center. That's where I saw my first CGC book on display....I think it was a Nick Fury #6.

In January of 2003 I ordered a CGC 8.5 copy of Avengers #32 from Mile High Comics. But I continued to buy raw books until 9/11/03 when I purchased a slabbed copy of Amazing Adult Fantasy #7. I guess somehow I found the CGC site, and registered a few days later. I checked in occasionally, and I think my first post was in December of 2003. I tried to post an image of a copy of a Dell Outer Limits, but wasn't successful. I got some help and I finally got the image thing down. That was over 12,000 posts ago. Yikes!

But it's been a total blast, and for a work-at-home guy, it's my water cooler and where I head during breaks from work, eating, and almost everything else. I also lured Zeman here, after we'd done a few ebay deals and that's worked out nicely too. I mean, a man needs a lapdog. confused-smiley-013.gif

Red

Edited by Red Hook

I was wondering why all these "CGC" comics were selling for multiples of their raw counterparts so I searched google, found the main CGC page and came to the forum.

Four years later I'm still trying to figure out why CGC books sell for multiples of their raw counterparts. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My experience was very similiar to Conjob here. I had gotten most my Vertigo comics bought and was thinking about encapsulation. Checked out the site and the rest is history.

Why do you keep calling him Conjob?

it's a Constantine thing, you wouldn't understand it.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks for the informative reply. makepoint.gif

just like a friggin lawyer. someone else has to do discovery for him

cloud9.gif

Thanks for letting them know Sal. I was out getting some OTC meds to help with a nagging sinus headache. Oldguy looks almost exactly like John Constantine in Hellblazer. Drop him in a trench coat and a tie with a Guiness stain and he is right there.

A while back I took one of those "If You Were A Comic Book Character Who Would You Be?" tests someone posted a link to on the forum. Guess who I was? grin.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif Toad?

Donkey?

I was wondering why all these "CGC" comics were selling for multiples of their raw counterparts so I searched google, found the main CGC page and came to the forum.

Four years later I'm still trying to figure out why CGC books sell for multiples of their raw counterparts. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My experience was very similiar to Conjob here. I had gotten most my Vertigo comics bought and was thinking about encapsulation. Checked out the site and the rest is history.

confused-smiley-013.gif

cloud9.gif

Thanks for letting them know Sal. I was out getting some OTC meds to help with a nagging sinus headache. Oldguy looks almost exactly like John Constantine in Hellblazer. Drop him in a trench coat and a tie with a Guiness stain and he is right there.

A while back I took one of those "If You Were A Comic Book Character Who Would You Be?" tests someone posted a link to on the forum. Guess who I was? grin.gif

Donkey?

Shrektard?

629179-grek.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

cloud9.gif

Donkey?

Shrektard?

629179-grek.jpg

Bozo?

confused-smiley-013.gif

cloud9.gif

Donkey?

Shrektard?

629179-grek.jpg

Bozo?
Canadian?

I did add my story above. Now FU Scott. flowerred.gif

And Happy New Year!

Brad

FU too! yay.gifhi.gif

Was it the bananas that did it?

Feeling regular, I mean?

No, it was the custom title. cloud9.gif

Sweet! My first pinned thread! At long last I feel like a regular. tongue.gif

So where's your response to the thread's question, Arch? poke2.gif

I was lead here by uh... one of my developers? Who said, "Hey, I got that message board up that you wanted installed." And I said... "Cool. I'll check it out."

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Classic! 27_laughing.gif

I was a subscriber to the CBG email news flashes, and the September 20 2002 mailing contained this bit from that week's column by "Mr. Silver Age":

The early 1970s definitely had fans in a thread entitled "What book started the Bronze Age of Comics?" on the CGC Forum online

message board ( http://boards.collectors-society.com/Comics/Bronze Comics ). Elrod Mah tipped me off to it and fought the good fight for Giant-Size X-Men #1. But he and several like-minded fans were overwhelmed by posters who assumed the Bronze Age began in the early 1970s, so a 1975 comic book couldn't have been the starting point.

I just had to sign up to weigh in on that one, again and again and again: Probably 90% of my posts over the first 3 months pertained to that discussion over various threads. yay.gif

So I guess indirectly, Pimpy brought me here! 893applaud-thumb.gif

i first stumbled upon the comicpriceguide.com site, noticed they had a forum and lurked there for a day... also posted a bit there. at the time i was there, there were a lot of people talking about how having your comics graded by cgc was a waste of time... bugaboo for example.

i found this interesting so i thought id have a look at the cgc website and the rest is history. it wasn't my first time visiting the cgc website though... i checked it out i think back in 2000 or 2001...(i guess there was no message board then)

my first post was a pic of my hulk 181 where i was asking for a grade

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...true#Post478665

In one of the Board's more historical great feats (back in the eBay vigilante days ala Rickdogg), Mushroom and I were contacted by the Boards (specifically Tomega) about fradulent auctions we bid on and won.

(to those that don't follow, you know how every 1-2 days there is a discussion on some purported fradulent comic auction on ebay - well 3 years ago Mushroom and I were among 20 would-be buyers of HG SA books on ebay. the auctions were discussed at length for a week on these boards, until the auctions closed. the consensus was that the auctions were fradulent. tomega emailed us telling us so, and told us about the boards. of the 20 or so auction "winners", i believe only Mush and I ended up joining the boards...)

Thus was the rustysstarwars saga.

What he said.......... thumbsup2.gif

I did add my story above. Now FU Scott. flowerred.gif

And Happy New Year!

Brad

FU too! yay.gifhi.gif

Was it the bananas that did it?

Feeling regular, I mean?

No, it was the custom title. cloud9.gif

I like mine also.

Pugnacious

Combative in nature; belligerent. See Synonyms at belligerent.

sumo.gifheadbang.gif