• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did you first learn of the CGC forum?

328 posts in this topic

In one of the Board's more historical great feats (back in the eBay vigilante days ala Rickdogg), Mushroom and I were contacted by the Boards (specifically Tomega) about fradulent auctions we bid on and won.

(to those that don't follow, you know how every 1-2 days there is a discussion on some purported fradulent comic auction on ebay - well 3 years ago Mushroom and I were among 20 would-be buyers of HG SA books on ebay. the auctions were discussed at length for a week on these boards, until the auctions closed. the consensus was that the auctions were fradulent. tomega emailed us telling us so, and told us about the boards. of the 20 or so auction "winners", i believe only Mush and I ended up joining the boards...)

Thus was the rustysstarwars saga.

Board member Acesilver (now not so active) kept urging me to check out the boards. Finally I did, and unlike some recent newbies who seem to like to start new threads asking whatever question is at the top of their little heads at any given moment, I lurked for a few months and ran a bunch of searches to read up on what people had been saying about various issues before I finally posted.

Purely by accident. When I first submitted books to CGC, I checked out their forums, and decided to ask a question about a certain auction, which I was told "I should have known better than to bid"(in a nice way yeahok.gif) and just hung around after that. tongue.gif

My situation is a lot like Davenports.

I began posting on CPG when it was actually a thriving community. I began to learn about comics and such from people like FFB, Hammer, and others. Then before it started to implode i began lurking here. I finally got the nerve to join ( i had been collecting for a very short amount of time and the place was intimidating to me then). The rest is history.

Doug (Captain Tripps) used to live down the hall from me. We were talking one night about "stuff" and the topic of comics, CGC, slabbed books, and the forum came up. I signed on here shortly after that...

Larry

/ps/

Doug - Ricki and I want to wish you, Lisa, and Jack a Happy New Year! I kinda miss hearing Jack run up and down the halls (I swear, that kid went to bed later than I did!).

I was innocently checking something in the CGC census, and decided to click on the link to "the boards" (whatever the heck they were). I am an enlightened if somewhat bruised and battered collector for it. thumbsup2.gif

I'm thinking there was an article in Scoop about the forums that first referred me to the boards. Anyway, in late 2004 I started reading and very occasionally posting in a small fan-based forum for SA comics. When I get banned from it in Feb 2005 blush.gif, I followed the link I had saved to the CGC Forum and registered within a day or two. I figured if jbcomicbox (Jon Berk) was comfortable posting here I would be too. I really have no idea why I was banned but this is a much better place -- except for the fact that we have to edit our posts after we attach an image, something I didn't have to do on the other forum.

After a 10 year hiatus of collecting I thought it was time to sell off some books. Checked ebay and started seeing all these weird CGC books selling for crazy money.

I did a websearch for CGC and found the CGC site...clicked every link on the front page and finally found the boards and just started reading.

A couple of years later and now I probably have bought more comics than I've sold, thanks guys frustrated.gif(and a couple of gals). It's hard NOT to get caught up in the passion for the hobby found on the boards. There are enought gems found on the boards to make it worth it to wade through the rest of the 893censored-thumb.gif that you'll encounter.

I first saw these forums when looking at the CGC web pages for curiosity's sake. From time to time I would "lurk" here and check out posts. Over time, different forumites I knew through ebay transactions told me I should join here, Rick (Rickdogg) and Mike (onelevelupmp), so eventually I did. I became active just over a year ago when one of my auctions was being discussed in the silver age forum.

Joe