• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trim JIM in Heritage Auction

829 posts in this topic

Guys, the GRADE DATE I got out of the bar number was: 10/13/2005.

893whatthe.gif

Not good...not good at all...

Jim

Uhm, wasn't October well after that scandal broke?

Ok, I know I'd never be able to detect that trimming. But, I work on government networks for a living. I think Heritage needs to do something about whomever submitted that book for consignment! tonofbricks.gif

893whatthe.gif

Not good...not good at all...

Jim

Right, looks like CGC is having a bad week. tonofbricks.gif

A very bad week, soon to become a very bad month I suspect. tonofbricks.gifboo.gifChristo_pull_hair.giffrustrated.gifforeheadslap.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Hey, it's just a very small percentage of books, from an isolated incident.

We now know how to spot this type of restoration.

These trimmed books will be tracked down and removed from the marketplace.

There's red and green Jonestown Kool-Aid on the table for those of you who are thirsty.

blush.gif

Hey, it's just a very small percentage of books, from an isolated incident.

We now know how to spot this type of restoration.

These trimmed books will be tracked down and removed from the marketplace.

There's red and green Kool-Aid on the table for those of you who are thirsty.

blush.gif

Bob, what's happened to you? Finally joining us crazy conspiracy theory nuts? grin.gif

tonofbricks.gif

Make of that what you will.

I don't see where there is much cause to hope this can be solved.

Has anyone else really looked at the top of the 9.4?

There's one little shard hanging off right in this area, but get real, this is not your goofy amateur's trim job.

It also appears, not to diminish the damage mind you, that the entire top wasn't cut.

There is the same amount of space above the blue dot by the "T" in "into".

We're talking a 1/32nd or less at a time I believe.

DSC02551.jpg

Bob, what's happened to you? Finally joining us crazy conspiracy theory nuts? grin.gif

Not yet, George. It will be very interesting, though, to see how CGC and Heritage react to this latest revelation. Will the book be confirmed by the former as being trimmed? Will they explain how such trimming was missed during the grading? Will the latter pull the auction? Will either explain how a book owned by JE could pass through encapsulation and auction without being flagged as a candidate for trimming?

Kudos to Brent/Quality for pointing out this problem book to the rest of us! thumbsup2.gif

tonofbricks.gif

I looked it up too this morning. Same grade date. I sold the book to Ewert in Oct/Nov of 2004 at one of the Big Apple Cons. I sold them a number of other JIMs that same show. I'll have to check my records on the others.

Also, this book may have been resubmitted again AFTER the Ewert scandal to try for a 9.6. Keep that in mind when you think about the grade date. frown.gif

foreheadslap.gif -damn you Ewert! This book is a testimony in living color to what a [embarrassing lack of self control] you are!!!

Kudos to you Brent for the eagle eye! news.gif Words getting out hopefully CGC will be forced to take legal action against Ewert to save their reputation!

BTW thanks for the killer raw 9.0 x-men 57-nice book at a great price!

Welcome! smile.gif

tonofbricks.gif

I looked it up too this morning. Same grade date. I sold the book to Ewert in Oct/Nov of 2004 at one of the Big Apple Cons. I sold them a number of other JIMs that same show. I'll have to check my records on the others.

Also, this book may have been resubmitted again AFTER the Ewert scandal to try for a 9.6. Keep that in mind when you think about the grade date. frown.gif

Which is what I said would happen with the resubs of Ewert books. Get rid of the old Ewert sub # and all things are hunky-dory again.

It's definatley the same copy. So much for CGC (and it's minority owners) tracking them down.

Well, it would have been nice when the Ewert database was being compiled if Brent had identified that this particular book had been sold to Ewert. confused-smiley-013.gif

Brent, any other JIMs (or other improveable books) that were sold to Ewert?

Could someone figure out the date when this book was submitted to CGC? If it happened after the Ewert fiasco came to light, it would be really damning for CGC.

I remember mentioning some books that I had sold to one the players in compiling the list, but I don't remember who or when I did it. Sorry. sorry.gif

Also, I'm not going to reveal names but I tracked down the current owner of this book 2 months or so ago (my dates may be off). I thought this person would do the right thing and contact CGC and go thru whatever established process there was to remove the book from the marketplace forever. I was wrong. And now I'm doubly pissed off because now another person would've been stuck with a Ewert book and I trusted the current owner of the book to do the right thing. frustrated.gif

As alexcrooke mentioned, that could've been the reason for the resubmit date of 10/13/2005.

I'll have to contact Heritage on Monday and ask them about pulling this book.

893whatthe.gif

Well I certainly hope this book wasn't part of the last Ewert/Brulato submission that was being investigated by CGC. Whatever happened to that large submission that was found to have multiple trimmed books anyway.? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's definatley the same copy. So much for CGC (and it's minority owners) tracking them down.

Well, it would have been nice when the Ewert database was being compiled if Brent had identified that this particular book had been sold to Ewert. confused-smiley-013.gif

Brent, any other JIMs (or other improveable books) that were sold to Ewert?

Could someone figure out the date when this book was submitted to CGC? If it happened after the Ewert fiasco came to light, it would be really damning for CGC.

I remember mentioning some books that I had sold to one the players in compiling the list, but I don't remember who or when I did it. Sorry. sorry.gif

Also, I'm not going to reveal names but I tracked down the current owner of this book 2 months or so ago (my dates may be off). I thought this person would do the right thing and contact CGC and go thru whatever established process there was to remove the book from the marketplace forever. I was wrong. And now I'm doubly pissed off because now another person would've been stuck with a Ewert book and I trusted the current owner of the book to do the right thing. frustrated.gif

As alexcrooke mentioned, that could've been the reason for the resubmit date of 10/13/2005.

I'll have to contact Heritage on Monday and ask them about pulling this book.

Something else just dawned on me. CGC didn't catch the resto on the resubmit. tonofbricks.gif

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe it was just a reholder? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe it was just a reholder?

but werent they supposed to be re-graded and not just re-holdered? Thats what I want to say that Steve said would happen. Just another question that needs addressing.