• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trim JIM in Heritage Auction

829 posts in this topic

I personally don't care that the owner didn't ID the book as being once in the hands of Ewart. This just demonstrates the fact that if they don't have an idea to be extra careful looking for resto on a book they might just blow it...several times. It's not like CGC is going to have a heads up when other people chop shop books and send them in for grading.

The significance of whether the current owner did not inform CGC of the linkage of this book to Ewert, especially after being specifically told by Brent, goes more to the question of who the owner might be and was the failure to do so and then submit the book to Heritage a deliberate attempt to launder the prior history of the book and do away with it as soon as possible.

I don't know the answers to these questions, but I would like to so I can take it into consideration were I to ever contemplate a purchase of a book from this owner.

I dont think someone has invented a new method of trimming... he's just very careful and clean about it. This JIM was an angle cut, that is, he took off a lot more on the left side than the right. Almost nothing on the right, which is very hard to do. Its easier to lop off a huge swath, like an 1/8th" lets say.

no I dont think this guy in inventive - - just gooood. And since covers were already trimmed, a trimmed edge will look just loke a trimmed edge. Obviously for nicely preserved books, the need for artificial post-trim edge aging is exaggerated.

I personally don't care that the owner didn't ID the book as being once in the hands of Ewart. This just demonstrates the fact that if they don't have an idea to be extra careful looking for resto on a book they might just blow it...several times. It's not like CGC is going to have a heads up when other people chop shop books and send them in for grading.

The significance of whether the current owner did not inform CGC of the linkage of this book to Ewert, especially after being specifically told by Brent, goes more to the question of who the owner might be and was the failure to do so and then submit the book to Heritage a deliberate attempt to launder the prior history of the book and do away with it as soon as possible.

I don't know the answers to these questions, but I would like to so I can take it into consideration were I to ever contemplate a purchase of a book from this owner.

Gotta agree there!! pretty suspicious activity if you ask me!

It's definatley the same copy. So much for CGC (and it's minority owners) tracking them down.

Well, it would have been nice when the Ewert database was being compiled if Brent had identified that this particular book had been sold to Ewert. confused-smiley-013.gif

Brent, any other JIMs (or other improveable books) that were sold to Ewert?

Could someone figure out the date when this book was submitted to CGC? If it happened after the Ewert fiasco came to light, it would be really damning for CGC.

I remember mentioning some books that I had sold to one the players in compiling the list, but I don't remember who or when I did it. Sorry. sorry.gif

Also, I'm not going to reveal names but I tracked down the current owner of this book 2 months or so ago (my dates may be off). I thought this person would do the right thing and contact CGC and go thru whatever established process there was to remove the book from the marketplace forever. I was wrong. And now I'm doubly pissed off because now another person would've been stuck with a Ewert book and I trusted the current owner of the book to do the right thing. frustrated.gif

As alexcrooke mentioned, that could've been the reason for the resubmit date of 10/13/2005.

I'll have to contact Heritage on Monday and ask them about pulling this book.

Something else just dawned on me. CGC didn't catch the resto on the resubmit. tonofbricks.gif

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe it was just a reholder? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

well. another lovely Sunday morning gets thrashed...................Yikes.

but i think i came to the conclusion that Ewerts (or whoever did it) work was so good, that CGC wasn't able to catch it consistently. (i think Steve owned up to that in his response). therefore, this isn't surprising......................

i think i'll go shower and head over to the meadowlands, watch my Giants and forget about all of this for the day............ frown.gif

of course the submit date is perplexing confused.gif

So how was the game? poke2.gif

to say that they sucked in every facet of the game would not be an overstatement.

only two positive things to take away from yesterday; it was a beautiful day for the NYC area in january and the LT tribute at halftime with career highlights on the big screen. (man he was something else................ cloud9.gif)

AND, i decided to open my big mouth and post my 4 pro picks and went O'fer....... 27_laughing.gif

I contacted Steve and he said he will look into this. For what it's worth, he said no one had previously contacted him about this thread until I sent him the email.

Guys, if you want to make sure that Steve looks at a thread, take the extra 15 seconds to either PM him or email him.

I contacted Steve and he said he will look into this. For what it's worth, he said no one had previously contacted him about this thread until I sent him the email.

Guys, if you want to make sure that Steve looks at a thread, take the extra 15 seconds to either PM him or email him.

Will do in future but I find it hard to believe he hasn't looked at the boards in the last 24 hours given what has happened. This is right next to the main thread that is some 50 pages long, how could he miss it.

Will do in future but I find it hard to believe he hasn't looked at the boards in the last 24 hours given what has happened. This is right next to the main thread that is some 50 pages long, how could he miss it.

maybe he went fishing or got lost at disneyworld!

I'm sure he daily checks the one about the turn-around times. "Yep it's still there." tongue.gif

Something else just dawned on me. CGC didn't catch the resto on the resubmit. tonofbricks.gif

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe it was just a reholder? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

If it was just a reholder they couldn't be hoping for an upgrade. And what indication do we have that CGC can now catch this sort of trimming? Has CGC even made this claim?

A couple of other observations... apologies if these have been covered elsewhere, I'm still catching up after a few months' hiatus...

- what about all the Ewert books purchased by board members? Surely with all the deep-pocketed high grade afficianados on the boards, there must be a fair number of former Ewert books to scrutinize, send in as tests, etc? Has anyone done a search for "Ewert" in the "Recently Added To Your Collection" and "Show us your slabs"-type threads? I would think that would turn up a lot of books. The fact that more board members are volunteering some of their Ewert slabs for perusal leads me to believe this has all been covered in another thread?

- Mark: your idea of taking out an ad in CBG is a great one - I'd be willing to contribute to the cost of such an ad. If CGC did try to block the publication of the ad, that in itself would be pretty damning, imo.

- Scheradon: welcome to the CGC 'reality distortion zone' in which disinformation is the usual order of the day. CGC will hide behind its claims of "objectivity" and "privacy protection" and never disclose the hows, whys or wherefores of its grading and resto detection policies and procedures. They'll occasionally throw out a chestnut at a dinner party, and later consider that equivalent to full disclosure. Pinning them down on much more than where to send the money is like trying to catch a greased piglet.

its interesting that CGC did not catch the trimming the 2nd time they graded it. Was this because they were not notified of its Ewert pedigree? What are the chances do you think that having been notified that it WOULD have been PLODDED, or BluePlodded since its now 2006.? I think better than 50/50.

Aman: I'd say the chances were much closer to 0, because I don't think CGC can consistently catch Ewert's trimming process even now.

The point is why give him an excuse to say he hasn't seen it? Take the 15 seconds to send him an email or PM, and then there's no way he can claim he hasn't seen it. confused-smiley-013.gif

its interesting that CGC did not catch the trimming the 2nd time they graded it. Was this because they were not notified of its Ewert pedigree? What are the chances do you think that having been notified that it WOULD have been PLODDED, or BluePlodded since its now 2006.? I think better than 50/50.

Aman: I'd say the chances were much closer to 0, because I don't think CGC can consistently catch Ewert's trimming process even now.

well, I think if CGC were informed to check it out BECAUSE it was a Ewert book, that somehow teh trimming WOULD have been suddenly noticeable.

- Mark: your idea of taking out an ad in CBG is a great one - I'd be willing to contribute to the cost of such an ad. If CGC did try to block the publication of the ad, that in itself would be pretty damning, imo.

Thanks Garth, I really appreciate that.

I plan on contacting some CBG writers shortly and will keep everyone informed.

Mark

Thanks Garth, I really appreciate that.

I plan on contacting some CBG writers shortly and will keep everyone informed.

Mark

I seem to recall someone contacting John Jackson Miller a couple months back about Ewert and his comment was the Dupcak took 18 months on research and due libel concerns etc. don't expect anything soon.

The point is why give him an excuse to say he hasn't seen it? Take the 15 seconds to send him an email or PM, and then there's no way he can claim he hasn't seen it. confused-smiley-013.gif

Noted but it sounded like an excuse to me that's all.

Now he has to know for sure, so has he pulled it from the Heritage auction?

Both the owner and I will call Heritage tomorrow. I think there have been other occasions where Heritage has pulled books from their auctions because of Ewert.

So, any luck at getting any kind of response from Heritage on this particular book or any of the other controversial books in this auction? confused-smiley-013.gif