• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trim JIM in Heritage Auction

829 posts in this topic

Well, I suspect it's you for all I know. Who are you Mar-vell? I know Brent, I don't know you and there is nothing in your profile. So before you start slamming people step up and identify yourself.

Dave Johnson

p.o. box 809

Willow AK 99688

Well, I suspect it's you for all I know. Who are you Mar-vell? I know Brent, I don't know you and there is nothing in your profile. So before you start slamming people step up and identify yourself.

Dave Johnson

p.o. box 809

Willow AK 99688

Hi Dave hi.gif

Dave is a repeat ebay customer of mine. hi.gif

And it's darn expensive to ship to Alaska unless it's thru priority mail. headbang.gif

Dave Johnson

p.o. box 809

Willow AK 99688

Hi Dave hi.gif

Howz it goin' buddy! : hi.gif

Good afternoon Dave.

Now this book was up for sale on Pedigreecomics.com. So ask Captain Tripps who the current owner of the book is.

Secondly, ask how CGC missed the trim job again.

When is that powerful new digital imaging system going in again?

Good afternoon Dave.

Now this book was up for sale on Pedigreecomics.com. So ask Captain Tripps who the current owner of the book is.

Secondly, ask how CGC missed the trim job again.

When is that powerful new digital imaging system going in again?

Howdy Bob! i heard your interview the other day with Vince. I rather enjoyed it! thumbsup2.gif

Brent,

From the Ewert inventory list I compiled some months ago, only one JIM #92 was found--cert #: 0098374016, and it was only an 8.0 graded in August 2004. Probably wasn't the same book. (unless someone has pics from that book when Ewert sold it to corroborate?)

If there is evidence that Ewert submitted the now 9.4, I can do additional research. I don't know if we know who submitted/trimmed the book now being sold on Heritage, although Ewert would've been a good default.

These are the suspect JIM books in the Ewert inventory currently (and it looks like the resub game was being played on a few) as an FYI:

Journey Into Mystery  100  0098482003 .0  OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  100  0709125003 9.0  OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  101  0098482004 .0  OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  101  0709125002 9.4  OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  102  0098433004 9.2  OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  102  0098482005 .0  OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  102  0709125001 9.4  OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  103  0098423003 9.4  OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  105  0098482006 9.4  WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  106  0065070017 9.4  OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  107  0098482007 .0  CREAM TO OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  108  0626901024 9.2  OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  117  0098473005 9.2  OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  117  0703046002 9.4  WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  119  0065070018 .0  WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  121  0065070019 9.6  OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  7  0080549001 9.6  WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  86  0098468019 7.5  CREAM TO OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  90  0098459002 7.5  CREAM TO OFF-WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  92  0098374016 8.0  WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  99  0609275005 .0  OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 

Journey Into Mystery  99  0709125004 9.4  OFF-WHITE TO WHITE 

Again, if anyone has any knowledge of invoices or books that are known to have been purchased by Ewert, please PM me that information to make the data more accurate.

Sterling

Anyone here think that "the guy" who worked for Ewert has gone to work for somebody else now?

tonofbricks.gif

I just checked with the owner. The book was resubmitted in Oct. to try for a 9.6 and to check for the trimming that I had suggested to him.

I'm going to call Heritage tomorrow and see if they will pull the book somehow.

Did the owner tell you they sent it to CGC giving them instructions to specifically check for trimming as a Ewert book? Or, did they just do a standard resub? Either way, something here really reeks. I sure hope the current owner is not Tom Brulato. Whoever it is, they are probably a fairly significant player in the hobby.

Brent, thanks very much for bringing this book to everyone's attention.

-Jim

Just a standard resub.

I found the original label when it first turned into a 9.4. Here are the other books in that submission:

0098469001 - TOS #39 CGC 9.2 White pages

0098469002 - Journey #92 CGC 9.4 White pages

0098469003 - Amazing Spider-Man #37 CGC 9.6 Curator White pages

0098469004 - Green Lantern #76 CGC 9.4 Off-white

0098469005 - Amazing Spider-Man #32 CGC 9.6 Boston White

Which is NOT to say all of the others are trimmed, just something to look into. I wonder if any of the pedigrees were trimmed. frown.gif

I hate to say it, but I think it's too much to expect that the pedigrees have remained untouched. If not these particular book, I'm sure some others have been played with.

I would say it is safe to say the owner's name is not Joe.

If the industry press at some point does not focus on the Ewert scandal, I am tempted - and this will depend on the status of the litigation and require further thought - to try and take out a full page ad in CBG informing the public.

I'd be curious to see whether CBG would be willing to run such an ad given its financial relationship with CGC, or whether CGC would ask them not to (which I would hope it would not seek to do).

Mark you should ask anyways and see what the initial response is.

It's definatley the same copy. So much for CGC (and it's minority owners) tracking them down.

Well, it would have been nice when the Ewert database was being compiled if Brent had identified that this particular book had been sold to Ewert. confused-smiley-013.gif

Brent, any other JIMs (or other improveable books) that were sold to Ewert?

Could someone figure out the date when this book was submitted to CGC? If it happened after the Ewert fiasco came to light, it would be really damning for CGC.

I remember mentioning some books that I had sold to one the players in compiling the list, but I don't remember who or when I did it. Sorry. sorry.gif

Also, I'm not going to reveal names but I tracked down the current owner of this book 2 months or so ago (my dates may be off). I thought this person would do the right thing and contact CGC and go thru whatever established process there was to remove the book from the marketplace forever. I was wrong. And now I'm doubly pissed off because now another person would've been stuck with a Ewert book and I trusted the current owner of the book to do the right thing. frustrated.gif

As alexcrooke mentioned, that could've been the reason for the resubmit date of 10/13/2005.

I'll have to contact Heritage on Monday and ask them about pulling this book.

Something else just dawned on me. CGC didn't catch the resto on the resubmit. tonofbricks.gif

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say maybe it was just a reholder? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

well. another lovely Sunday morning gets thrashed...................Yikes.

but i think i came to the conclusion that Ewerts (or whoever did it) work was so good, that CGC wasn't able to catch it consistently. (i think Steve owned up to that in his response). therefore, this isn't surprising......................

i think i'll go shower and head over to the meadowlands, watch my Giants and forget about all of this for the day............ frown.gif

of course the submit date is perplexing confused.gif

So how was the game? poke2.gif

Also, this book may have been resubmitted again AFTER the Ewert scandal to try for a 9.6. Keep that in mind when you think about the grade date. frown.gif

Yes, this is why I asked what the submission date was. Needless to say, this is extremely disheartening and there is no f'ing way to defend CGC here. Although I don't expect CGC to be perfect, this is either gross negligence or willful omission. Either way, it puts to the lie that CGC are tightening their resto detection standards.

Steve, you guys need to wake the hell up! This should bug the hell out of you if for no other reason than simple pride. Whether or not Ewert is the person who directly resubmitted this book to you, it is the equivalent of a big "F.U. CGC" from Ewert! mad.gif

So, who here is going to compose a letter to Steve Borock and calmly state the facts, on this book up for auction?

I sent him an email as soon as Brent started this thread to make sure he looked at this thread.

well. another lovely Sunday morning gets thrashed...................Yikes.

but i think i came to the conclusion that Ewerts (or whoever did it) work was so good, that CGC wasn't able to catch it consistently. (i think Steve owned up to that in his response). therefore, this isn't surprising......................

i think i'll go shower and head over to the meadowlands, watch my Giants and forget about all of this for the day............ frown.gif

of course the submit date is perplexing confused.gif

So how was the game? poke2.gif

Man, kick the guy while he is down why dontcha wink.gif

So now the ultra-pro CGC fans will have to say, so it is only three books out of ...

No, even THIS collector, who has simply previously defended CGC against the impossibly high standard of perfection that many on here seemed to think was reasonable, cannot defend this.

Also, this book may have been resubmitted again AFTER the Ewert scandal to try for a 9.6. Keep that in mind when you think about the grade date. frown.gif

Yes, this is why I asked what the submission date was. Needless to say, this is extremely disheartening and there is no f'ing way to defend CGC here. Although I don't expect CGC to be perfect, this is either gross negligence or willful omission. Either way, it puts to the lie that CGC are tightening their resto detection standards.

Steve, you guys need to wake the hell up! This should bug the hell out of you if for no other reason than simple pride. Whether or not Ewert is the person who directly resubmitted this book to you, it is the equivalent of a big "F.U. CGC" from Ewert! mad.gif

Maybe Steve is grumpy and just wants this to go away because he was the lead grader on this book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif We need someone from the inside to break ranks in disgust and tells us what is really happening behind closed doors.

CGC could detect Hammer's work. And obviously the CGB Comic-Keys article was written with the full cooperation of if not outright instigation by CGC (and at least one longtime board member) thumbsup2.gif

They've caught some of Jason's work too. Last month, I sent in 5 books that I bought from Jason in the past year. On second look, CGC said 2 of the 5 were trimmed.

Sorry to hear that, GT. So apparently CGC can do a reasonably good job of detecting this micro-trimming when they know to look for it, but are still as clueless as before otherwise. foreheadslap.gif

For what it's worth, I had asked Borock several months ago to disclose how many of the Ewert trim-check books had turned up positive, but he said it was too soon to do so. Steve, it's time!