• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show you favorite western comics

794 posts in this topic

1074926-AllAmWest104.jpg

My $15 copy doesn't look quite as nice as yours, does it? Is your copy pedigreed? I intended on reading it today but got pulled into Sandman Mystery Theater instead.

One aspect of this cover I really like is the change in emphasis in each of the three panels. Let me try to explain what I mean by having you concentrate on the depiction of the bull-head neck-tie. In the first shot, the furthest away with the full-shot, no attention to detail is in, just the idea of the neck-tie is present. In the what-s-the-name again second shot, you find the most detailed version of the neck-tie to help better give personality to the character. In the full-shot, it was the body position who projected the character. Finally, in the last frame, in the close-up, the neck-tie is no longer as detailed but rather the facial expression is emphasis as this is where the focus has shifted. Maybe, I'm making too much out of it but it certainly is a favorite of mine.

The Maneely Frontier Western is on my Atlas want list as it is IMO one of the better Maneely covers. Maneely's style is not naturally attractive to me. He is not an artist that I immediately get. Upon further look, I now know that I have to be choosy in my Maneely purchases because while he can win me over, more often than not, he won't.

Nice Books !!!

.....ya got me droolin' over Cow Puncher and Apache Massacre...I got that FW # 1 but in a lower grade.....

What else ya got? .....I could russle up a bunch of Bronze DC Horror to trade....!!??

No matter, thanks for the post!

These are all reposts from various threads in the GA forum. There are a few more Westerns posted there though I haven't scan very many as there is usually more interest in some of the other genres. As for horror books, I already have posted a few of those, though they are nearly all pre-Code. cool.gif

1074926-AllAmWest104.jpg

My $15 copy doesn't look quite as nice as yours, does it? Is your copy pedigreed? I intended on reading it today but got pulled into Sandman Mystery Theater instead.

One aspect of this cover I really like is the change in emphasis in each of the three panels. Let me try to explain what I mean by having you concentrate on the depiction of the bull-head neck-tie. In the first shot, the furthest away with the full-shot, no attention to detail is in, just the idea of the neck-tie is present. In the what-s-the-name again second shot, you find the most detailed version of the neck-tie to help better give personality to the character. In the full-shot, it was the body position who projected the character. Finally, in the last frame, in the close-up, the neck-tie is no longer as detailed but rather the facial expression is emphasis as this is where the focus has shifted. Maybe, I'm making too much out of it but it certainly is a favorite of mine.

gossip.gif Edgar Church, as is the Bobby Benson. Cow Puncher is Aurora. All Star West is Ohio. Apache Mass is something, but can't remember what.

It is a wonderful sequence, but I also focus on the increasing nervousness of the hand holding the gun as Johnny Thunder's words sink in. Also, I think the inker (probably Giella, but don't quote me) over inked the pupils in the last box so that they look the size and shape of olives.

The Maneely Frontier Western is on my Atlas want list as it is IMO one of the better Maneely covers. Maneely's style is not naturally attractive to me. He is not an artist that I immediately get. Upon further look, I now know that I have to be choosy in my Maneely purchases because while he can win me over, more often than not, he won't.

You've summed up my feelings about Maneely. You may find that the more you look at his voluminous oeuvre, the more you'll find you like. Keep looking for interior art as well as he definitely knows how to tell a story.

It is a wonderful sequence, but I also focus on the increasing nervousness of the hand holding the gun as Johnny Thunder's words sink in. Also, I think the inker (probably Giella, but don't quote me) over inked the pupils in the last box so that they look the size and shape of olives.

We'll have to agree this is a wonderful cover all around. I had noticed the shakiness in the gun grip in the last panel with the powerful message but had not traced back to the lack thereof in previous panels. As much as the cover to # 103 is flashy in a Batman # 10 kind of way, in final analysis, AAWC # 104 is better.

You've summed up my feelings about Maneely. You may find that the more you look at his voluminous oeuvre, the more you'll find you like. Keep looking for interior art as well as he definitely knows how to tell a story.

Here's a Maneely cover that, while we can't fault it, leaves me pretty cold, similar to a Mac Raboy Flash Gordon Sunday, it sure is pretty to look at but it's lifeless -

1075259-WyattEarpMarch.jpg

At times, I'd much rather look at a cover like this Straight Arrow - more fun (+ it's got a horse AND a dog cool.gif) -

1075259-StraightArrow52.jpg

1075259-StraightArrow52.jpg.cab6ee5b89289c749347df0a904fdbf4.jpg

I had never heard of Maneely before I started collecting Westerns, now he is one of my favorite artists. I love how he could create almost a 3-d effect by lightening his line strokes on the background figures, combined with the lighter color tones. Beautiful stuff.

rk20.jpg[/img]

ringo16.jpg

I choose this Trimpe cover because it shows quite a Maneely influence. Using the same effects Maneely would to create depth. 2nd Trimpe cover just because I've always thought he produces some of his best stuff for Marvels western covers.

rk84.jpg[/img]

rk1.jpg[/img]

Last 3 are just oddball artists that you just don't see too many Western art from (at least in the 1970s): John Buscema, Gene Colan & Jim Starlin.

kc158.jpg[/img]

ww45.jpg[/img]

kc214.jpg[/img]

We'll have to agree this is a wonderful cover all around. I had noticed the shakiness in the gun grip in the last panel with the powerful message but had not traced back to the lack thereof in previous panels. As much as the cover to # 103 is flashy in a Batman # 10 kind of way, in final analysis, AAWC # 104 is better.

AAWC 113 is flashy in a Batman 11 kind of way and is the much better designed "iconic" sort of cover. The AAWC 104 uses a story-telling sequence of panels to make it's point, which is somewhat unusual for a cover, though more common in comics than in other printed matter. The AAWC 113 and Jimmy Wakely 13 are my favorite Toth covers, but there are many more wonderful covers besides those 2 so I guess I can forgive you for picking 104. flowerred.gif

P.S. Your copies have very nice colors, which is part of the charm of those AAWC books.

P.S. Your copies have very nice colors, which is part of the charm of those AAWC books.

Don't get me wrong, I am burning to own # 103 as well. All of those covers are really attractive to me compared say to the majority of the All-Star Western Trigger-Twin covers. In fact, I do believe I prefer the cover to Western Comics to those of All-Star Western in general. It's just that it'll cost me a little more than $15 to own one. Do you have a copy?

I read the # 104 this p.m. As Marc mentioned, I do believe my favorite was the Overland Coach story, all the more since it had a very maudling "Aaww, shucks!" ending to it. My least favorite was the Minstrel story (but so it was when I read my copy of # 124). The sheer fun graphism of the Toth story outweighed the thinness of the story. There is a one-page sequence where Johnny and Black Lightning jump off a cliff that is breath-taking, unbelievable but breath-taking nonetheless.

I do have a question. Should I include the last issue of All-American Comics # 100, 101 and 102 in my set since JT appears in # 100 and the Western covers start. OSPG lists then as Scarce. Are they that difficult to find, aside from the stratospheric value OSPG put on them?

Don't get me wrong, I am burning to own # 103 as well. All of those covers are really attractive to me compared say to the majority of the All-Star Western Trigger-Twin covers. In fact, I do believe I prefer the cover to Western Comics to those of All-Star Western in general. It's just that it'll cost me a little more than $15 to own one. Do you have a copy?

I read the # 104 this p.m. As Marc mentioned, I do believe my favorite was the Overland Coach story, all the more since it had a very maudling "Aaww, shucks!" ending to it. My least favorite was the Minstrel story (but so it was when I read my copy of # 124). The sheer fun graphism of the Toth story outweighed the thinness of the story. There is a one-page sequence where Johnny and Black Lightning jump off a cliff that is breath-taking, unbelievable but breath-taking nonetheless.

I do have a question. Should I include the last issue of All-American Comics # 100, 101 and 102 in my set since JT appears in # 100 and the Western covers start. OSPG lists then as Scarce. Are they that difficult to find, aside from the stratospheric value OSPG put on them?

Big mistake on my part. When I mentioned AAWC 104 I meant 113. foreheadslap.gif

I've gone back and updated my post accordingly.

I'm kinda doubtful about their scarcity and so I would suggest that, for the money, you would find other comics provide more bang for your buck.