• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show you favorite western comics

794 posts in this topic

Sorry but I don't have Western Thrillers #1.......

Tks for looking.....keep me in mind during your travels & when up grading !!

I've never seen that cover of Kid Colt Outlaw....that Wild Bill Hickock got by

me a while back, I couldn't remember who it went to, now I know....!!!

I'm posting at random with this one.....I happen to like the story the cover depicts....

wf6.jpg

I only have one issue of Western Fighters (I'll post the cover tonight) so I was wondering if you could tell us about the general quality of the stories (not the art itself but the writing)? I like Hillman's output in general, just never gave their Westerns much reading. One aspect I noticed is that this is a very typical Hillman coloring job as far as the hues and purples they are using.

In the meantime, I really like this Jesse James cover -

1090364-JesseJames6s.jpg

and here's the Interior Cover -

1090364-JesseJames6ICs.jpg

1090364-JesseJames6ICs.jpg.0194538496f3ec5664db3e87dd9c12c4.jpg

I only have one issue of Western Fighters (I'll post the cover tonight) so I was wondering if you could tell us about the general quality of the stories (not the art itself but the writing)?

I'm partial to Western Fighters, I only have a few of 'em but I like 'em.

Their stories are written in the style of Louis L'amour; standing on morals and convictions for both; good guys and bad guys.

As the cover depicts; True Stories...Where The Gun Was Law! .......and as we all know the west was won by; killin' off injuns, keepin' sheep herders off our grazin' land, huntin' down those bank & stage robbers, callin' out card cheats........!!

They set up the story line with a brief intro of two or three sentences using lots of ".........." to string their thoughts together. They don't rush thru the frames; they have a tendency to draw out the story. After reading 'em your left with good visual imagery, which is supported by catchy phrases. There's death; bushwhacking', shoot-outs, back-shootin' and plain ol' gunnin' down but in the end the tale always stands on some moral fiber; starting out on a hope, movin' to a low and comin' around to the righteous ending......whether the story was about....bad guys against bad guys....or.....bad against good.

Obviously, some stories are better than other. The artwork varies also. You can have three or so stories in a book and one of two of the stories will have nice art with good printing but the other one may have blurred art with bleed over.

They're not for everyone....no on-going character to follow.....no next issue you can't wait to enjoy while chuggin' a beer!

I'm a fan of audio books; I listen to western books on tape. There's s series of books out there on the PAPERBACK AUDIO trade-make line. They're single tapes about 75 minutes long, sometimes one story to a tape or sometimes two or three. They're like comic books; short in duration. They set up a plot, colorful characters, fast story line, action, twists in the plot with impending doom = the show down. Usually I wind up listenin' to each tape 4 or 5 times....they're that good....but like all audio books they need a good reader.

Here's a scan of my current western;

scan0001.jpg

I didn't mean to digress......to such an extreme.

I've seen that Jesse James copy on ebay three or four times in the past year. One copy closed this past Saturday. I've always been tempted to bid but I own no painted or photo covered books; I can't trust myself; if I buy one I'll want more ! That's were TakinShotsToQuit comes in......or maybe a 12-step program would help! Anyway, it was sure nice to see the lay out of the interior cover....Tks !

I like this cover....

ww41.jpg

Wow, fantastic reply! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I'll have to read over my issue to see if it matches your description of the modus operantus of the series.

Since you like Westerns so much, you should try and read some Lee Winters stories by Lon Williams. I have yet to read any but folks in the pulp group I belong to keep on recommending them. Here are a few on PDF from the PulpGen website.

Since you like Westerns so much, you should try and read some Lee Winters stories by Lon Williams. I have yet to read any but folks in the pulp group I belong to keep on recommending them. Here are a few on PDF from the PulpGen website.

What a site.... !!!

Tell me you mind's not paintin' a picture with this;

GHOST, RIDE WITH ME!

Real Western Stories, June 1951 A “LEE WINTERS” STORY by Lon Williams

“Good horse you’ve got, stranger,” said Bink Aspentree’s ghost. “I had a fine horse in my day. Ran like a stampeding wind. No posse could even keep within sight of his dust. I’d have been riding high and handsome to this night, if Bud Lenox hadn’t knifed me here in Black Fox. Cut my throat, he did. But I had my satisfaction. I saw him hung by vigilantes at Powder River a year later. It was a pleasure to see his mouth gape and his eyes bug out. Well, stranger, I’ll be leaving you now. Nice ride we had together; perhaps ……”

They read like the audio books I mentioned.....Tks for the link.....I'll read 'em all !

Tell me you mind's not paintin' a picture with this;

GHOST, RIDE WITH ME!

Real Western Stories, June 1951 A “LEE WINTERS” STORY by Lon Williams

“Good horse you’ve got, stranger,” said Bink Aspentree’s ghost. “I had a fine horse in my day. Ran like a stampeding wind. No posse could even keep within sight of his dust. I’d have been riding high and handsome to this night, if Bud Lenox hadn’t knifed me here in Black Fox. Cut my throat, he did. But I had my satisfaction. I saw him hung by vigilantes at Powder River a year later. It was a pleasure to see his mouth gape and his eyes bug out. Well, stranger, I’ll be leaving you now. Nice ride we had together; perhaps ……”

27_laughing.gif That's funny - I just printed that same one this p.m. to check them out. What a title! thumbsup2.gif

1st - Yep, more purple on that Hillman cover. Someone sure liked to put that code down when coming up with color schemes. Do I see it right that it's S&K signed?

Yes, Simon & Kirby did the cover work for that issue.

Here are some more. I love how the blend of headlights/bandit/hero all mix together to ceate some sweet looking covers.

ZXQJJ-gr9.jpg

Untitled-122.jpg

So I read the GHOST, RIDE WITH ME! Real Western Stories, June 1951 A “LEE WINTERS” STORY by Lon Williams tonight and that was fun 2/3rd of the way until he gave it away but I like his characters' speech and the feeling that there are other stories to tell about the characters. I'll make sure to read some of the others.

Here's my Western Fighters -

1091250-WesternFightersFeb1952.jpg

and a Crandall Crack Western cover -

1091250-CrackWestern77s.jpg

1091250-WesternFightersFeb1952.jpg.67f46a4393d046ec5a893c3298d7be9e.jpg

ZXQJJ-gr9.jpg

Nice book and one of those 50 Ore books to boot.

Nice QP on the Oklahoma Kid 27_laughing.gif Once I whittle down my otherwise ever expanding want list I plan on purchasing a few of those Oklahoma Kid books ...

I hear ya! I'll manage to knock off a few books from my want list only to add double the amount, mostly do to this board. It's a vicious cycle that never seems to end but nevertheless... I love it.

Would you happen to have any info regarding the 50 ore stamp on the ghostrider. I am really not familiar with stamps/pedigree desinations on books. They don't bother me and I've stumbled across a few by accident but don't actively pursure them.

Here's another book to stay in focus with the thread.

123.jpg

Would you happen to have any info regarding the 50 ore stamp on the ghostrider. I am really not familiar with stamps/pedigree desinations on books. They don't bother me and I've stumbled across a few by accident but don't actively pursure them.

To the best we've been able to figure out, the 50 Ore books have been migrating back to the US from faraway Norway over the last 20 years. Rumors has it that some one bought up a stash of 50's book in Scandinavia and is slowing bringing them back North America. The process is slow because the books are heavy and the bulk of them are Dell books as far as I can tell so they are not big $$ items. At any given convention, I'll see a couple in dealers' bins. Nothing particular about them, just an interesting distinction.

To the best we've been able to figure out, the 50 Ore books have been migrating back to the US from faraway Norway over the last 20 years. Rumors has it that some one bought up a stash of 50's book in Scandinavia and is slowing bringing them back North America. The process is slow because the books are heavy and the bulk of them are Dell books as far as I can tell so they are not big $$ items. At any given convention, I'll see a couple in dealers' bins. Nothing particular about them, just an interesting distinction.

Kool..nice to know and I appreciate the info. thumbsup2.gif. I've learned alot on these boards.

This one is for TakinShotsToQuit...I know he doesn't care much for photo or painted covers but I figured I'd tempt him.

124.jpg

Damn.....Blazing West.....don't stop on my account.....

Here's the one that got me started.....I'd be surprised if it's in your war chest !!!

bw1.jpg

Jan 54 [1-2 months after his first work] - Ditko's 1st western art (?) w/in...

Nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif I've been outbid on that one numerous times. Definitely one that I want to obtain some day.

I do like Maneely but he's not always consistent.....like the last one....the jailer's bringin' the grub with a lynch mob trailin' him....I don't think so.....it doen't work unless you combine the thought that his depiction is of multiple scenes to be played out in the story line ???

Here's a cover I 'm partial to....I like the use of the moon light and shadows.....I posted a WWT of Hex [Adams] earlier on which uses the same technique on a camp fire but with more color.

wk12.jpg