• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show you favorite western comics

794 posts in this topic

....The Art of Nick Cardy book by Vanguard is an excellent read and well illustrated - I think one can pick up remaindered copy by now -

1094693-ArtNCardy.jpg

....that Kid from Texas is one that got away....

Thanks for the link....I see whatcha mean about the "Cardy girls"....that Augaman is pretty nice!

Also, looking at the cover of "The Art Of Nick Cardy" I noticed a book that I have; Bat Lash # 2. So I got more of his work than I thought...that's a good thing.

Bat Lash # 2 is my favorite cover of the run (partially because I have a soft spot for falling snow covers).

I am in the same shoes you are - I learn something new about this hobby every day and I like to expand my horizons so these boards are perfect for that. Take some of 1st and keys's books western # 1 issues. As AdamS mentioned, some (many) of these books I have never seen - and that's no surprise if AdamS hasn't seen them himself as his period knowledge is far greater than mine.

Keeping this thread on track and western oriented, Cardy also drew a few of the Tomahawk covers between # 20 and # 40 including this wedding one -

1095085-Tomahawk35.jpg

and he did all but one covers of the Legends of Daniel Boone -

1095085-DanielBoone3.jpg

1095085-DanielBoone3.jpg.f0253704e1eb6b6a6b5c0a8d0f11aa8a.jpg

I think Scrooge will pass me by in the number of books seen before too long. I'm focused on high-grade comics and there aren't a lot of those running around. There are a lots of books I've never seen in any type of grade that I'd love to own. I did spend some time in the 90s looking through dealer bins to go through all comics they had, regardless of grade, just to learn about more covers and interiors. From the postings in this forum, it looks like I didn't do enough.

In any event, it's now February so I'll do my one set of postings and will try to pick out some fun Westerns. I'll get many chances to post superhero or horror books but a lot fewer for Westerns.

Many, many of Cardy's later covers for DC were designed initially by Carmine Infantino. He and Cardy seemed to be very sympatico at that time.

I don't recall having any Cardy Westerns but thinking about Cardy has compelled me to post this off-topic comic. It's Cardy cover to cover. cloud9.gif

1095250-CongoBill5.jpg

1095250-CongoBill5.jpg.fff9710fc30b3c44acad0506030b7f84.jpg

It's all good !!

I know I've been drivin' this off-topic chatter with my question....I appreciate all the replies. It's like being in a candy store; you want it all. As a result, a lot of my ignorance is by choice; I can't afford it all. Therefore, I pick my genre and stay there. Also, as a result of these past few post I can see I will be changing the direction of my collection. I gather this affliction is a standard board hazard......which sooner or later is accompanied by the parting of one's money!

Anyway, again thanks....I really like that Nick Cardy link and the interview. I forgot what I liked [art layout] and disliked [cartoon westerns - dandy boy] about Bat Lash, it was a long time since I've opened those books.

To bring it all around, here's another L.B.Cole....

o13.jpg

It's all good !!

I know I've been drivin' this off-topic chatter with my question....I appreciate all the replies. It's like being in a candy store; you want it all. As a result, a lot of my ignorance is by choice; I can't afford it all. Therefore, I pick my genre and stay there. Also, as a result of these past few post I can see I will be changing the direction of my collection. I gather this affliction is a standard board hazard......which sooner or later is accompanied by the parting of one's money!

Anyway, again thanks....I really like that Nick Cardy link and the interview. I forgot what I liked [art layout] and disliked [cartoon westerns - dandy boy] about Bat Lash, it was a long time since I've opened those books.

To bring it all around, here's another L.B.Cole....

I love the LB Cole. He certainly knew how to draw horses, along with most everything else!

Regarding Cardy, I think the Congo Bill run is the high-point of his 50s work. It has very colorful African settings and lots and lots of Cardy animals -- with a female or two tossed in for Scrooge. cool.gif

1095792-Western68.jpg

1095792-Western68.jpg.28b4e920b3f4e22ae532339ab19865a6.jpg

This is a Maneely I've always liked and so was very pleased when I found this copy.

1095799-SixGunW2.jpg

1095799-SixGunW2.jpg.525e35360f20959d3cb65ad7af6ee335.jpg

Six-Gun Western # 2 ....I've seen that book a couple times in the past year. As I look at it now, I don't know what I was thinkin' when I let it go by...your copy is nice 'n clean, very sharp !

Here's another L.B.Cole....I think I'm gonna step off western in the near furture and buy Cole, something other than horror. I really like his use of color.....

o10.jpg

That was 10....here's 11 & 13 previously posted....nice color huh ?

o11.jpg

o13.jpg

This is a Maneely I've always liked and so was very pleased when I found this copy.

That is a nice Maneely. It looks more ... dynamic than his others I guess. Agree or not?

I know this is going to elicit no interest but this is a long-running series. This is truly a humor book but based around actual Civil War events. The protagonists are in the cavalry - Call it BFW - Big Foot Western -

1095926-TB-Rumberley.jpg

1095926-TB-Rumberley.jpg.b197e8f73a3e8a8080416a9b063d9de0.jpg

It looks more ...... dynamic than his others I guess. Agree or not?

Dynamic, I do agreed.

However, this one would beg to differ....out of how many....I don't know?

of4.jpg

I like the muzzle flash....same intensity as Six-Gun Western # 2

The cigarette is a nice touch also !

It looks more ...... dynamic than his others I guess. Agree or not?

Dynamic, I do agreed.

However, this one would beg to differ....out of how many....I don't know?

Well I am glad we're having this discussion. I am starting to figure out the tipping time point between the Maneely I don't like on Westerns to the Maneely I do like on Westerns. It happens around 1954 because I certainly don't like these as much - not mine (borrowed scans) - and I didn't take worse examples with multi-panels on the cover -

1096024-ApacheKid1.jpg

1096024-BlackRider9.jpg

1096024-BlackRider9.jpg.d42914fa12c496e8f7ea4a85fa3da830.jpg

I am starting to figure out the tipping time point between the Maneely I don't like on Westerns to the Maneely I do like on Westerns. It happens around 1954 because I certainly don't like these as much - not mine (borrowed scans) - and I didn't take worse examples with multi-panels on the cover -

Here's three books from 1950 - 1951

Number 6 and 13 are my least favorite covers. I had no intentions of posting these due to that fact and space on my host.

However, seeing how you're on to something.....

As a Maneely; Nr 6 lost something of his effect. I don't know, I'm not so partial to all that chatter on the cover. I like 'em clean. I like the cover to work on my imagination, creating a mental dialogue in my mind.

tgw13.jpg

tgw12.jpg

tgw6.jpg

I am starting to figure out the tipping time point between the Maneely I don't like on Westerns to the Maneely I do like on Westerns. It happens around 1954 because I certainly don't like these as much - not mine (borrowed scans) - and I didn't take worse examples with multi-panels on the cover -

Here's three books from 1950 - 1951

Number 6 and 13 are my least favorite covers. I had no intentions of posting these due to that fact and space on my host.

However, seeing how you're on to something.....

As a Maneely; Nr 6 lost something of his effect. I don't know, I'm not so partial to all that chatter on the cover. I like 'em clean. I like the cover to work on my imagination, creating a mental dialogue in my mind.

I own a copy of that # 12 (I think) so that's the Maneely I remember and it's below average Maneely for sure. The boxes at the bottom on the # 6 certainly don't help the impression that the Apache Kid is floating and not actually dropping on the guy. That's what I'd call less dynamism in my poor language.

New question:

Why do you think no one is posting Dell westerns.....there's a ton of 'em out there, someone got to own 'em !

Is this a loaded question? I notice you've not put any up yourself. Are you holding out on us?

For the purpose of this thread, there is an obvious reason why they didn't show. Dell had very few line-drawn western covers and these happened early on in the series. Most other covers were either using photographs or painted artwork which don't fit the premise of the thread. Second, well, we both know the interior art of any given Dell Western can be pretty wretched. I'll have to get back to you about any I remember that had good art. And in this I am excluding Westerns that showed up later within the Four Color series. In any event, here's one for the thread -

1096139-IndianChief5.jpg

Your question is interesting because it made me also realize how under-represented if even included Fiction House has been in the thread!

1096139-IndianChief5.jpg.75d31a978acf31ca371bb0a4c0ac662e.jpg

Looks like they used Forrest Tucker as the model for that Indian.

I don't recall having any Dell Westerns. Many of the painted covers and photo covers are well done (many of the 50s books have very heavy gloss -- almost like they were varnished) but there are simply too many of them and too many of those are readily available.