• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show you favorite western comics

794 posts in this topic

Couple more winners on the AAW. I love the lots of things about the 110. The delicate line work of the buttes in the canyon. The dynamic figures of the Indians coming after JT -- so much suggest with so little. The dramatic pose of JT and the Girl. cloud9.gif

Last one for now - Two-Gun Kid # 33 - Another example of the gun shot out hands -and that one shows that I buy them to read them -

1093133-Two-GunKid33.jpg

Looks like you buy them to eat. tongue.gif

Color guide

1093346-PrizeWest102cg.jpg

I like these color guides, not that I own any but I've considered buying one or two in the past just never found the one that's right for me. Key Comics out of Mesa Az sells a number of them, I do have two proof but there of horror books; HoS 85 and WH 33.....no westerns.

Thanks for show 'em!

td21.jpg

You know until recently I had never realized Steranko had done Western covers. Yet something else I learned from the boards. I kinda like them. They are "squeeky clean", more so than his other cover work. On top of that you show us a Cardy girl cloud9.gif

sumo.gif Will I ever live down that TWK # 33? Dang people, it's got a Heath cover (or what's left of it 27_laughing.gif)

Thank you Adam - showing your the PWC color guide and proof again and I'm still looking for my copy frustrated.gif There's something about that cover I really like. The attention to details in depicting nature around American Eagle is wonderful. Reminds me of Foster's work depicting tramping around Canadian wilderness. Great stuff and great stories inside as well.

td21.jpg

You know until recently I had never realized Steranko had done Western covers. Yet something else I learned from the boards. I kinda like them. They are "squeeky clean", more so than his other cover work. On top of that you show us a Cardy girl cloud9.gif

sumo.gif Will I ever live down that TWK # 33? Dang people, it's got a Heath cover (or what's left of it 27_laughing.gif)

Glad u like it wink.gif

...and as for the TWK #33, look at it this way, at least u can post it again in a "Beat but Neat" thread. thumbsup2.gif

This is revealing but I didn't know who Steranko until I saw the Gun-Slinger # 1 cover. I have no Marvel books unless you count the Atlas, it appears I've missed out on some good BA westerns.....

I do like the cover....FlyingDonut posted it early on......I think a better effect would have been having the fingers on the gun drop open, leaving no questions.

You're right; "squeaky clean".

The "Cardy" girl went over my head...I take the reference is to Nick Cardy...does he have a rep for his portrayal of women?

Anyway, here's a Heath book...

fw5.jpg

The "Cardy" girl went over my head...I take the reference is to Nick Cardy...does he have a rep for his portrayal of women?

Let me put this way. I don't imagine the first aspect of Cardy's art people would mention is his women but I have always liked his portrayal of women as they are "real". Take a quick look at the cover as well as his covers to Aquaman # 18 and certainly # 37 to see that his depiction is faithful to reality. Plus let's not forget that he got his starts with Lady Luck in the 40's and drew a slew of Fiction House's babes such as Senorita Rio and plenty of Sheena as well.

Like the cover - Luke Barker - He was bad clean thru! cloud9.gif

This is revealing but I didn't know who Steranko until I saw the Gun-Slinger # 1 cover. I have no Marvel books unless you count the Atlas, it appears I've missed out on some good BA westerns.....

I do like the cover....FlyingDonut posted it early on......I think a better effect would have been having the fingers on the gun drop open, leaving no questions.

You're right; "squeaky clean".

Anyway, here's a Heath book...

fw5.jpg

I've never seen this cover. Heath's work is so good and so few people have seen it. He worked especially hard on western scenes because his father had grown up around horses and would push him to draw them well when he was a kid.

Nice action cover on the FW 5. thumbsup2.gif

Here's another Steranko cover. I found this pic online. I don't think he did too many western covers though.

14.jpg

Here is a decent interview with Nick cardy that you might want to check out.

http://povonline.com/cols/COL332.htm

And here are a couple more kool westerns..

ww1.jpg

kft2.jpg

Here is a decent interview with Nick cardy that you might want to check out.

http://povonline.com/cols/COL332.htm

Thanks for the link. I was glad to see that both covers featured ladies and one is that Aquaman I mentioned. The Art of Nick Cardy book by Vanguard is an excellent read and well illustrated - I think one can pick up remaindered copy by now -

1094693-ArtNCardy.jpg

As for this other Steranko cover ... I'd better not say.

1094693-ArtNCardy.jpg.dce71e3d09bd84daf1029cb921e05a2d.jpg

Thanks for the link. I was glad to see that both covers featured ladies and one is that Aquaman I mentioned.

As for this other Steranko cover ... I'd better not say.

That aquaman is SWEET, just another book I gotta track down now.

As for the other cover, I don't think it compares at all to the earlier cover post ...if that's where you're going. grin.gif

I'm embarrassed to show the limited knowledge of my hobby. I know I shouldn't be; to the extent of the tangents one can take off on how can I know it all?

However, I must confess I don't own a Super Hero comic book, can't say I've read one either.....I take it back I found two World’s Finest Comics # 16 & 39 a while back at a book sale, bought 'em both for a buck each....still got 'em....never read 'em.

Anyway, this fact alone leaves me in ignorant bliss.

I've never seen Aquaman # 18 or # 37, Lady Luck, Sheena nor Senorita Rio so I don't know what I'm missin'.

I do know I enjoy the covers Cardy did on the Witching Hour run. OPG shows his work on # 4 & 5 but he did many more....his circle cn in plain sight. My favorite cover from this run is WH # 33......the woman are ture babes! As I mentioned earlier, I have a cover proof of this book....I think it's good work.

So....I'm a Cardy fan and it appears I could be a bigger one with just a little more effort.

Like you say....you learn a lot from this board.

TKS !!