• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I guess CGC 9.4 is no longer a guarantee of price retention.

146 posts in this topic

Thread started explicitly to bash someone

That should read: Thread started explicitly to bash valued business partner with a direct pipeline of resubs into CGC.

sign-funnypost.gif

Sheesh, that's how I was "invited" to join these boards . . . as the "bashee" 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif893whatthe.gif

That should read: Thread started explicitly to bash valued business partner with a direct pipeline of resubs into CGC.

the strike (and pulled thread) is interesting, as one could say that the "disbarred lawyer" thread was just as specifically started to bash Doug.............and he's probably as big a client as Matt.

different mods??

but back to topic; i think the following 4 reasons are why the book sold so low (and not any specific reduction in CGC 9.4 values);

1. book didn't look so great.

2. Cr/OW pgs.

3. Potential for a professional conservator to have conserved his own book.

4. the fact that the book had been cracked and resubbed for a higher grade.

now, how many of these last 2 facts were known to potential buyers is anyones guess............

the strike (and pulled thread) is interesting, as one could say that the "disbarred lawyer" thread was just as specifically started to bash Doug.............and he's probably as big a client as Matt.

I think if the mods knew the eventual direction of the thread, as well as that of the JIM 92 thread, they both would have been pulled and not allowed to continue. Nixing the thread on Matt Nelson was an attempt to nip another pandora's box of controversy in the bud.

in the context of some of the other threads i've seen here over the last year, this makes no sense.

dena's been accused of having a short fuse in the past, so i guess this is consistent with her modus operandi, but still

I think if the mods knew the eventual direction of the thread, as well as that of the JIM 92 thread, they both would have been pulled and not allowed to continue. Nixing the thread on Matt Nelson was an attempt to nip another pandora's box of controversy in the bud.

Like i said in that pulled thread, People here AUTOMATICALLY assumed Matt cleans and presses all his books he has for sale. Why not just ask him? The whole lawyer thing wasnt speculation; it happened. I like Matt and I cant see him doing this, but why crucify him before you have any hard evidence?

Well, you are right that not ALL of Matt Nelson's books being sold have been cleaned and pressed. There is no doubting the one in question, though, owing to the scan of the 9.2 version in the Heritage archive. Also, Matt freely admits to "working" on books to maximize their "potential" with CGC, and runs a business doing so - it says so right on his biz card. Finally, there are many other clear examples from Matt's auctions of C&P books:

X-Men #1, cover cleaned

but if he or cgc doesnt think of cleaning as restoration, then its up to the buyer to figure it out, or ask. You can always ask. Caveat Emptor...

A bit of deception on the part of a dealer may be OK with you, but it isn't with me. Frankly, if C&P were NOT a big deal in the marketplace and risked devaluing a dealer's stock, then said dealer would be far more upfront in disclosing it.

The deception is compounded by the CGC encapsulation, which eliminates the opportunity for prospective buyers to inspect books up close and in-hand.

but if he or cgc doesnt think of cleaning as restoration, then its up to the buyer to figure it out, or ask. You can always ask. Caveat Emptor...

A bit of deception on the part of a dealer may be OK with you, but it isn't with me. Frankly, if C&P were NOT a big deal in the marketplace and risked devaluing a dealer's stock, then said dealer would be far more upfront in disclosing it.

The deception is compounded by the CGC encapsulation, which eliminates the opportunity for prospective buyers to inspect books up close and in-hand.

I just ask and hope they are honest. I may be a bit too trusting, but I can usually tell the crooks from the bad guys, and Matt is not a bad guy.

A few things to clarify here:

1) The term "cleaning and pressing" that is used on the boards to describe pressing is incorrect. The inclusion of the word "cleaning" implies a whole other set of techniques, such as disassembly, water cleaning, solvent cleaning, resizing, etc. that would easily result in a purple label. Cleaning and pressing is what people were doing in the '90s before CGC made a distinction between the two.

2) The impression of "safe and acceptable" pressings seems to be out of whack. I see these press logos that feature a dry mount press, insinuating that all you do is heat a book up and smash it. This could not be further from the truth. There are no massive heat pressings, nor thousands of pounds of pressure, nor disassembly. These things are not necessary to press a book, and in fact will certainly cause damage to it.

Many times it only takes the removal of one or two tiny defects. By no means is every book pressed the same way. There is an art to it, and the quality of work can only be achieved by countless hours of experience.

3) I don't press all of my books. Of course it would seem that way, since this is a part of my business, but I understood these assumptions would be made when I started selling books on ebay. Heck, why would I run my logo and mention my services right above the scans if I was trying to hide something?

I do take offense to people taking pot shots at me on the boards. I'm an accessible guy. If you have something to say to me, just call me up. My phone number is on my website and in the guide.

The FF Annual #2 sold for less than what I was expecting. I was going to reserve it, but decided to let it fly, and it got what it got. Sometimes this approach works very well, sometimes it doesn't. The page quality is to me a big factor, and a major reason why I did not expect much for it. The previous sales of $3250 were very high in my opinion. And what if those copies had a shot at 9.6, and the bidders knew it? This is why you see spikes on some sales on GPA.

My auctions do fine in my eyes--some sell for more than GPA, and others don't. Bottom line is they are gorgeous books in blue holders. If someone doesn't want to bid on them because of their assumptions, that's fine with me. I stand behind these books as some of the prettiest 9.4/9.6/9.8's, because I hand picked each one, and I have very high standards.

I just ask and hope they are honest. I may be a bit too trusting, but I can usually tell the crooks from the bad guys, and Matt is not a bad guy.

I first did business with Jason Ewert in 1993. That's 13 years ago. We've met and talked at conventions, through email, etc. and all my transactions with him were fair and painless. My impressions of the man were always positive and I defended him on these Boards on more than one occasion.

I didn't want to believe anything when all the press and resub rumors were flying about, but I should have been more wary.

I didn't want to believe anything was amiss when certified books I sold him as weak CGC 9.2s were being resubbed and resold as 9.4s, though I should have suspected something.

I didn't want to believe all that I read in the FF3 thread, but it became more and more obvious that my trust in him was misplaced.

Just a lesson I had to learn the hard way....

Let me say, I don't want to sully Matt's good name by associating it with Ewerts'. But the one thing I've learned recently is you have to be careful about who you choose to trust and back in this hobby.

Well, you are right that not ALL of Matt Nelson's books being sold have been cleaned and pressed. There is no doubting the one in question, though, owing to the scan of the 9.2 version in the Heritage archive. Also, Matt freely admits to "working" on books to maximize their "potential" with CGC, and runs a business doing so - it says so right on his biz card. Finally, there are many other clear examples from Matt's auctions of C&P books:

X-Men #1, cover cleaned

Am I missing something here? How is this a clear example?

Pardon the stupid question if that's what it is, but is Matt Nelson affiliated with that particular seller? IS he that particular seller? I'd had a bunch of his Spidey auctions watched, and the jerk has the word "pedigree" in all his auctions, screwing with my searches. foreheadslap.gif

There's no need for this kind of post. We don't even know each other.

I was looking at a Cap 110 in CGC 9.4 from this seller until I copied the scan and blew it up a little bit. I wish there was still a link to it on Ebay as it was a truly fugly book. The corners were 9.0 corners with way too many stresses to be a 9.4 Talk about your "gift grades" With all of the knowledge I have gleaned on these boards about pressing, I think I will steer clear of Mr. Nelson's "Clean and Press While You Wait Laundry"

??? Lovely post.

Let me say, I don't want to sully Matt's good name by associating it with Ewerts'. But the one thing I've learned recently is you have to be careful about who you choose to trust and back in this hobby.

I've been an Overstreet advisor for over 10 years. I've worked hard to help people with their collections through my business, and I'm always trying to come up with new ideas for the betterment of the hobby. Since I was 14, I've been in love with old comics, and I'm really lucky to call it my profession. I would never jeopardize it all by ruining books for the sake of better grades.

THAT IS A REALLY UGLY 9.4 WITH NUMEROUS DINGS AND tiny RIPS AND OTHER PROBLEMS. If raw, I'd probably sell it as a VF or VF+. Plus the page color will turn a lot of people off when they're looking for a HG book (probably less of a big deal in the lower grades). Perhaps unavoidable on some 1940s and 50s books, but not on this one.

Those are some reasons I think it didn't do as well as others. That and the whole assumption that it has been C&P'd already, thus leaving no more room for upward re-submissions (though, with the dings I'd think that would be impossible)

Matt,

Thanks for being present - your opinions and knowledge are always welcome around here . . . grin.gif

-divad

I'm glad to do it. There's so much misinformation on pressing out there, and some clarifications need to be made.