• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I guess CGC 9.4 is no longer a guarantee of price retention.

146 posts in this topic

Are you JC by chance? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif

Nope. Just someone who's sick of all the shady garbage going on in this hobby. This stuff is reaching critical mass and these dealers better wake the hell up.

about this pressing thing, what would Jesus do? HE'D ASK!!!! [unless He already knew--the nuns taught me He knew everything]. and if He's in the hobby He definitely collects timely and marvel. now way He would be a d.c. guy. if somebody reading this has a source [you know how pat roberston and those guys say they're always talking to Him?] and has inside poop that He's putting together a hi-grade d.c. silver age gorilla cover run DO NOT TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He works with the good guys.... confused-smiley-013.gif

<TABLE BGCOLOR="#000000" BORDER="10"><TR><TD>

<P ALIGN=CENTER>

<FONT FACE="Times" SIZE="7" COLOR="#0000FF">

<B>

100% UNRESTORED & MANIPULATION-FREE

</B>

</FONT>

</ALIGN>

<P ALIGN=CENTER>

<FONT FACE="" SIZE="" COLOR="">

1BUDDYCHRIST.jpg

</FONT>

</ALIGN>

<P ALIGN=CENTER>

<FONT FACE="Times" SIZE="7" COLOR="#FFFF00">

<B>

GUARANTEED

</B>

</FONT>

</ALIGN>

</TD></TR>

</TABLE>

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Matt, do you still work for Heritage? Or do I have you confused with someone else?

Shawn

He doesn't identify clients. I can understand that. Although it is not the same exact thing as the attorney-client relationship, the analogy can be appropriate.

Therefore, the better question is "Matt, do you have any objections to any of your customers revealing that they use your services?" I believe his answer will be "no". His customers, like my legal clients, can reveal they use him, retained a lawyer, whatever.

So, then go ask Heritage "do you use Matt Nelson's services, and if so for what purpose?" When (or if) they refuse to answer, then there is a real issue to hang your hat on.

if any collector wants to inquire about whether the books he's interested in bidding on are pressed, I would certainly disclose that to him.

I think there is a general consensus that many collectors would pay less, or not even want a book if they knew it was pressed. This obviously encourages sellers not to disclose pressing. There has to be trust on both sides of the table in order for disclosure to work. (I'm okay buying pressed books, you're okay telling me if it's pressed). As long as there are people crying from the mountaintops about how crooked it all seems to be, that trust will never be established.

Hi Matt;

Nice to see you on these boards again! thumbsup2.gif

I don't believe that anybody is crying from the moutaintops that pressing is crooked. What collectors are clearing stating is that the NON-DISCLOSRE of pressing is crooked.

Purchasers should be given all of the critical information up-front with respect to a book in order to allow the prospective buyers to make a fully informed purchasing decsion. To me, restoration and other activities performed to improve the appearance of a book such as pressing is clearly critical information and should be disclosed.

Before everybody claims that I am totally anti-resto and anti-pressing, it should be pointed out that the one of the last books I purchased was a raw restored book. Didn't have any problems or concerns with purchasing it since it was clearly identified as being restored by the seller up-front in his auction description. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Your statement that collectors would generally pay less for a pressed book or not even want it at all IS the exact reason why this disclosure is absolutely necessary. It is a critical and determining factor in what a prospective purchaser will bid on a particular book. The fact that you will not openly disclose this critical information up-front leads prople to think that what you are really trying to do is to foist a juiced up book onto unsuspecting buyers in the hopes of maximizing your dollars. frown.gif

Bottom-line: This behaviour on the part of dealers not to disclose and to seemingly try to pull a fast one on the collectors is what has given resto and pressing the extreme negative connation that it currently has in the marketplace. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Here's one example of why it should just be disclosed up front. Say, a prospective buyer gets on Ebay, see's a killer book they want. They read the description and it sounds good except, now they have to "ask the seller" if this book has had any pressing or cleaning done to it. There's only 5 minutes left in the auction though. They send the question form to the seller, but get no response back in such short notice.

Do they bid anyway?

If they do bid and later find out it was pressed and or cleaned, will you let them retract after auction close?

Matt, you have a lot of auctions that I would certainly bid on if there was some open disclosure about any work you've performed on the books. You're proud to advertise your service to do the work, but then it seems like afterwords it becomes this dirty little secret.

Was your recent Champions #1 9.8 either pressed and/or dry cleaned? You say you will answer when asked, so I'll just ask. I would have certainly bid and bid well, on this book if this info would have been in the listing.