• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I guess CGC 9.4 is no longer a guarantee of price retention.

146 posts in this topic

Hi.

I, for one, appreciate the clarification and agree that the "personal" negative comments are not helpful to the discussion and certainly offensive to you.

I guess my concern is for the next buyer or possibly the next or me if I had no knowledge of the history of the comic. I guess I am a little confused about what I should expect out of the old Blue label. Does one now have to assume that any older book with a Universal grade may have been subject to some form of "acceptable" conservation? Why not documment such actions on the label? Too hard to do? Not economically acceptable?

I am not sure how I truly feel about this issue, but it seems collectors who purchase CGC books with Blue labels should have the right to know,{up front} whether or not the comic had any type restoration/conservation. IMO.

Russ

i'm trying to come up with an appropriate analogy to the undisclosed cleaning and pressing of comics.

without being a smarthass - try, people, just try - can anyone come up with one?

i waffle at the whole concept of disclosing without asking. it seems that if a dealer is willing to disclose when asked, the burden then falls on the buyer to ensure they're making an informed buying decision

Should we take that as a "no"?

I'm not going to humor you with any answers, because it's apparent that you have it in for me, and will find fault with everything I say. If you have a problem with me, call me. Don't hide behind these boards.

Should we take that as a "no"?

I'm not going to humor you with any answers, because it's apparent that you have it in for me, and will find fault with everything I say. If you have a problem with me, call me. Don't hide behind these boards.

Hide behind these boards? I am one of the few posters here who actually uses his real name. How can I "have it in" for somebody I don't even know? To be honest, I would have no problem buying a pressed book, as long as it has been disclosed to me upfront. If there is nothing wrong with pressing, then why won't you disclose it? Just answer the question.

So, how come people haven't crucified Matt Nelson yet for doing the clean and press without disclosure? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I tried. confused-smiley-013.gif My thread was already pulled. Matt must have friends in high places. 27_laughing.gif

I would say this is a clear example of having it in for me. I'll welcome questions from anyone else on these boards, but not you.

So, how come people haven't crucified Matt Nelson yet for doing the clean and press without disclosure? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I tried. confused-smiley-013.gif My thread was already pulled. Matt must have friends in high places. 27_laughing.gif

I would say this is a clear example of having it in for me. I'll welcome questions from anyone else on these boards, but not you.

The thread was a joke. Did you even see it? Another poster asked why you have not been "attacked" yet when it is quite clear to a # of people here that many of the books you sell have had some type of work done to them. I really wish you would stop deflecting the question. With all the dishonesty in the hobby lately, I was hoping for a few honest answers. I guess we won't be getting any from you.

Pardon the stupid question if that's what it is, but is Matt Nelson affiliated with that particular seller? IS he that particular seller? I'd had a bunch of his Spidey auctions watched, and the jerk has the word "pedigree" in all his auctions, screwing with my searches. foreheadslap.gif

There's no need for this kind of post. We don't even know each other.

No, I do know you, you're the seller with pedigree in the text of all his auctions! frustrated.gif

It's only a minor annoyance, keep on keeping on, I'll keep on weeding through. thumbsup2.gif

O, and you're saying that some of the books may be pressed, but none are cleaned? The pressing doesn't bother me too much, the trimming cleaning and all that garbage, that's bothersome.

greetings Matt! I bought the book and am pleased with the price. I actually expected it to go much higher and someone would have had to bid nearly $2000 to beat me. The page quality doesnt really bother me - I dont intend to open the case and look at the book and the cover appears to be as white as the other 9.4 and the 9.2 I own. I bought the book for long term - not to make a quick flip. And i expect I will be sniping a few of the books you have up tonight.

Well I will be at Megacon on the Friday start, so if he is there I will and maybe I will talk with steve also. I think these rumors and accusations have been made for awhile and don't really seem to effect his sales amongst the group of people who actually buy high grade fairly expensive comics. As all the recent stuff about schmell has not appeared to effect his sales either- most of those Avengers from the first round of that so-called 3rd best Marvel run have sold as well as many other recently posted books. I personally feel I have suffered injury by Doug calling that the 3rd best Marvel run - so far mine is far superior!

Don't mind some of the posters here bashing your FF annual. I thought it was a great looking book. Most of the copies I have seen (as well as the 2 I own) have staple indentations showing thru the front cover, and I think way too many people worry about cream off white pages. On the books I have removed from the slabs, most of the time I see very little diff between cream off white, off white, and off white to white.

Hi.

I, for one, appreciate the clarification and agree that the "personal" negative comments are not helpful to the discussion and certainly offensive to you.

I guess my concern is for the next buyer or possibly the next or me if I had no knowledge of the history of the comic. I guess I am a little confused about what I should expect out of the old Blue label. Does one now have to assume that any older book with a Universal grade may have been subject to some form of "acceptable" conservation? Why not documment such actions on the label? Too hard to do? Not economically acceptable?

I am not sure how I truly feel about this issue, but it seems collectors who purchase CGC books with Blue labels should have the right to know,{up front} whether or not the comic had any type restoration/conservation. IMO.

Russ

Hi Russ, if any collector wants to inquire about whether the books he's interested in bidding on are pressed, I would certainly disclose that to him.

I think there is a general consensus that many collectors would pay less, or not even want a book if they knew it was pressed. This obviously encourages sellers not to disclose pressing. There has to be trust on both sides of the table in order for disclosure to work. (I'm okay buying pressed books, you're okay telling me if it's pressed). As long as there are people crying from the mountaintops about how crooked it all seems to be, that trust will never be established.

Well, you are right that not ALL of Matt Nelson's books being sold have been cleaned and pressed. There is no doubting the one in question, though, owing to the scan of the 9.2 version in the Heritage archive. Also, Matt freely admits to "working" on books to maximize their "potential" with CGC, and runs a business doing so - it says so right on his biz card. Finally, there are many other clear examples from Matt's auctions of C&P books:

X-Men #1, cover cleaned

Am I missing something here? How is this a clear example?

I apologize, Matt, if my post sounds like a "pot-shot", since I did not intend it that way. The X-Men #1 currently being auctioned has an arrival date on the front cover that appears to be in grease pen, and is extremely faded. This makes the book look as though the cover were dry-cleaned (by a non-disassembly method).

I think this discussion highlights the problems I have with non-disclosure. If dealers were up-front in their descriptions of books that had this type of work rendered, then there would be less guessing and potential buyers could make fully informed decisions in a completely transparent buying environment. thumbsup2.gif

None of it really bothers me. This forum is meant for just about anyone to express his/her opinion and babble on incessantly about almost any thing. The fact is that only a small percentage of folks on here who choose to enlighten us with their valuable opinions buy cgc comics let alone fairly expensive cgc comics to begin with. The fact is, is that this is a pretty good time to be a buyer. Prices are all over the place. I have picked up excellent deals on ebay and most of the web sites. I have full confidence that by the time con season starts and the new line of super hero movies roll out, prices will once again pick up. Comic related stuff seems to be selling very well right now too - many good statues out and those new marvel figure factory things are fun as well as the new Marvel game with those mini- figures. I do think one big negative effect of cgc and the comic book investor market has been all the continuous conspiracy theory stuff, the greed, the do anything for a buck mentality that cgc has apparently made even worse. It really does take a lot of fun out of the hobby. I have been collecting a long time and i hate to see things going like they are.

Pardon the stupid question if that's what it is, but is Matt Nelson affiliated with that particular seller? IS he that particular seller? I'd had a bunch of his Spidey auctions watched, and the jerk has the word "pedigree" in all his auctions, screwing with my searches. foreheadslap.gif

No, I do know you, you're the seller with pedigree in the text of all his auctions! frustrated.gif

It's only a minor annoyance, keep on keeping on, I'll keep on weeding through. thumbsup2.gif

O, and you're saying that some of the books may be pressed, but none are cleaned? The pressing doesn't bother me too much, the trimming cleaning and all that garbage, that's bothersome.

Absolutely no cleaning. If I was sitting here disassembling and cleaning bronze age books all day long to make $25, I'd be out of business within a week.

Absolutely no cleaning. If I was sitting here disassembling and cleaning bronze age books all day long to make $25, I'd be out of business within a week.

Well, in that case...uh...press on!

greetings Matt! I bought the book and am pleased with the price. I actually expected it to go much higher and someone would have had to bid nearly $2000 to beat me. The page quality doesnt really bother me - I dont intend to open the case and look at the book and the cover appears to be as white as the other 9.4 and the 9.2 I own. I bought the book for long term - not to make a quick flip. And i expect I will be sniping a few of the books you have up tonight.

It's a gorgeous book, very clean. You got a great deal. Enjoy it!

Well, you are right that not ALL of Matt Nelson's books being sold have been cleaned and pressed. There is no doubting the one in question, though, owing to the scan of the 9.2 version in the Heritage archive. Also, Matt freely admits to "working" on books to maximize their "potential" with CGC, and runs a business doing so - it says so right on his biz card. Finally, there are many other clear examples from Matt's auctions of C&P books:

X-Men #1, cover cleaned

Am I missing something here? How is this a clear example?

I apologize, Matt, if my post sounds like a "pot-shot", since I did not intend it that way. The X-Men #1 currently being auctioned has an arrival date on the front cover that appears to be in grease pen, and is extremely faded. This makes the book look as though the cover were dry-cleaned (by a non-disassembly method).

I think this discussion highlights the problems I have with non-disclosure. If dealers were up-front in their descriptions of books that had this type of work rendered, then there would be less guessing and potential buyers could make fully informed decisions in a completely transparent buying environment. thumbsup2.gif

No harm done. I see what you mean about the arrival date. It's possible someone may have just attempted a light erasure of the arrival date. Very common thing, actually--many of Lamont Larson's signatures are erased from their covers, as well as a handful of Mile High codes.