• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic finds in unexpected places

68 posts in this topic

This is far and away the best thread I have read in awhile. hail.gif

I agree, except now I feel like taking apart anything I come in contact with. Christo_pull_hair.gif

27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I agree, except now I feel like taking apart anything I come in contact with. Christo_pull_hair.gif

27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

gossip.gif

yay.gif

My house was built in the 50's. I think is is time to rip open some walls. Might find some actions in those walls.

What about that collection found in a barn a few years back (~5), does anyone remmber that (I think the story was published in the CBG)? I'll try to dig up the story, but if I recall correctly it had a bunch of great books, including a Detective 27!!

And who can forgot the Moldy Butter Collection found by Metro!! For you New Skool forumites, I present to you (link to the original scoop article) :

"Twenty five years ago an elderly lady in North Dakota passed away leaving her children so utterly devastated that they immediately and completely shut down her entire home as it was. It was boarded up and the entire contents of the house went untouched for the next quarter century. Then, in early September of this year, a local resident of Devil's Lake who owned a restaurant but doubled as a demolitionist, was called to tear down the home.

Enough time had passed and the family of the women wanted to take the dilapidated old house down and sell the property. After cracking the rickety boards off the entrance, the two children (now in their forties), and the gentleman entered the home to take out the contents that had been left behind. The family members went to the upstairs and began filling garbage bags with old clothes and family albums. The demolition expert decided to take a look in the basement. To do this he had to walk across the creaking floor of the living room and dining room, where he stumbled across two large depression era glass candy bowls filled with candies that had been sitting untouched for over 25 years. Next he entered the kitchen, where he found neatly placed on a table a plate, fork, knife, coffee mug and what seemed to be a small dirty yellow brick. He thought it odd and then realized it was the woman's butter she must have been using the morning of the day she passed away.

He carefully made his way to the basement moving through the cobwebs and layers and layers of dust on the floor. After turning on his flashlight, he moved about the room and quite literally stumbled upon three large stacks of what he thought were old newspapers. Upon further inspection, he realized they were comic books. He carefully gathered up the books and placed them in a few milk crates and brought them upstairs. When he asked the siblings if they would like the comics, they said they were not interested and he could have them. After cataloguing the books, he emailed the offices of Metropolis Collectibles in New York City.

"When I heard the story, I was completely and happily surprised. When I began dealing comics these types of stories were common, but nowadays so many great collections have already been uncovered that stories like this one are seldom heard," states Metropolis' COO, Vincent Zurzolo. "What was equally surprising and a welcome relief was that the gentleman had accurately graded and priced the collection, even though he had no previous grading experience."

The collection was comprised of approximately 250 Golden Age comic books, including a Captain America #1, Captain Marvel Jr. #1 and Sub-Mariner #1. "This is the first time in the last few years that I can remember buying a collection where Timelys dominated the group," Metropolis CEO, Stephen Fishler, explains. Beyond the three keys mentioned were groups of Captain America, Comedy Comics, Human Torch, Mystic, Marvel Mystery Comics, Sub-Mariner, USA and All Winners Comics. Other titles included All American, All Flash Quarterly, All Star, Captain Marvel Jr., Batman, Blue Beetle, Big 3, Bulletman, Crack, Detective, Flash, Looney Tunes, Master, More Fun, Popular, Pep, National, Shadow, Superman, Top-Notch, True and Weird Comics. "Two books from the collection that stand out as incredibly hard to find are Flash Comics issues 30 and 39. We have never had these issues for sale before," Fishler also mentioned. "Overall, the collection varies in grade from high to low and all of the books have exceptionally supple white to off white pages," added Ed Sanchez, Metropolis Internet Operations Manager."

What about that collection found in a barn a few years back (~5), does anyone remmber that (I think the story was published in the CBG)? I'll try to dig up the story, but if I recall correctly it had a bunch of great books, including a Detective 27!!

And who can forgot the Moldy Butter Collection found by Metro!! For you New Skool forumites, I present to you (link to the original scoop article) :

"Twenty five years ago an elderly lady in North Dakota passed away leaving her children so utterly devastated that they immediately and completely shut down her entire home as it was. It was boarded up and the entire contents of the house went untouched for the next quarter century. Then, in early September of this year, a local resident of Devil's Lake who owned a restaurant but doubled as a demolitionist, was called to tear down the home.

Enough time had passed and the family of the women wanted to take the dilapidated old house down and sell the property. After cracking the rickety boards off the entrance, the two children (now in their forties), and the gentleman entered the home to take out the contents that had been left behind. The family members went to the upstairs and began filling garbage bags with old clothes and family albums. The demolition expert decided to take a look in the basement. To do this he had to walk across the creaking floor of the living room and dining room, where he stumbled across two large depression era glass candy bowls filled with candies that had been sitting untouched for over 25 years. Next he entered the kitchen, where he found neatly placed on a table a plate, fork, knife, coffee mug and what seemed to be a small dirty yellow brick. He thought it odd and then realized it was the woman's butter she must have been using the morning of the day she passed away.

He carefully made his way to the basement moving through the cobwebs and layers and layers of dust on the floor. After turning on his flashlight, he moved about the room and quite literally stumbled upon three large stacks of what he thought were old newspapers. Upon further inspection, he realized they were comic books. He carefully gathered up the books and placed them in a few milk crates and brought them upstairs. When he asked the siblings if they would like the comics, they said they were not interested and he could have them. After cataloguing the books, he emailed the offices of Metropolis Collectibles in New York City.

"When I heard the story, I was completely and happily surprised. When I began dealing comics these types of stories were common, but nowadays so many great collections have already been uncovered that stories like this one are seldom heard," states Metropolis' COO, Vincent Zurzolo. "What was equally surprising and a welcome relief was that the gentleman had accurately graded and priced the collection, even though he had no previous grading experience."

The collection was comprised of approximately 250 Golden Age comic books, including a Captain America #1, Captain Marvel Jr. #1 and Sub-Mariner #1. "This is the first time in the last few years that I can remember buying a collection where Timelys dominated the group," Metropolis CEO, Stephen Fishler, explains. Beyond the three keys mentioned were groups of Captain America, Comedy Comics, Human Torch, Mystic, Marvel Mystery Comics, Sub-Mariner, USA and All Winners Comics. Other titles included All American, All Flash Quarterly, All Star, Captain Marvel Jr., Batman, Blue Beetle, Big 3, Bulletman, Crack, Detective, Flash, Looney Tunes, Master, More Fun, Popular, Pep, National, Shadow, Superman, Top-Notch, True and Weird Comics. "Two books from the collection that stand out as incredibly hard to find are Flash Comics issues 30 and 39. We have never had these issues for sale before," Fishler also mentioned. "Overall, the collection varies in grade from high to low and all of the books have exceptionally supple white to off white pages," added Ed Sanchez, Metropolis Internet Operations Manager."

I feel sorry for the siblings. They obviously had no idea as to their worth and i doubt the person making the find would have told them nor would he have told them about how much he made from the sale (probably more than the value of the house). I personally hope they never find out as it would probably crush them.

Thank you thank you... I am the original poster flowerred.gif

Seriously though, these are some GREAT stories. I'm sure there are more out there... let's here them!!

In some ways it's just being lucky and being in the right place at the right time! Loved the story about comics used as inulation, finding comics while separating glass and plastic, random antique store find.. All great stuff!! headbang.gif

I sell lots of stuff online. A guy calls me out of the blue and says his friend buys from me, I'm a good guy, etc. etc., would I like to see his collection. Sure, I say. He's in Richmond, so I drive down there.

Original owner books. All monster, horror, science fiction. Atlas, DC, early Marvel. 1955-1963. Full runs of Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish, Strange Tales, other stuff. Lower grade, but all there. Oh, and some other books. FF 1. FF 2. Amazing Fantasy 15. Journey into Mystery 83. Showcase 4, Showcase 8. Everything. 893whatthe.gif Also lots of other fanzines and memorabilia, toys, all sorts of stuff.

Spent the better part of two years selling the collection for him. Very nice guy. He travels now with his wife, using the money we got for the books.

The Windy City Collection was originally accumulated in Pennsylvania. The buyer (who ultimately sold them to me) thought he had acquired all the books, but later more than 1,000 additional books surfaced. It appears that they were used as packing material in boxes and crates and completely overlooked by everyone...