• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

I collect mixed martial arts competition tapes smile.gif. I'm a huge Pride fighting, K-1, and UFC fan and practitioner. I also collect fairly rare Chaosium Call of Cthulhu roleplaying supplements. It's a bizarre esoteric mix of collecting hobbies. People look at me weird when I talk about what I like to do on my spare time. Basically fight and read comic books.

I used to collect cards of my favorite players and am extremely happy to hear that they (Alonzo Mourning and Fred McGriff) are basically worthless now. frown.gif

I do collect art on and off..no real favorite artists except Thomas Kinkade usually just buy stuff that catches my eye. Only other thing I "collect" is current and classic cars.

Brian

I collect mixed martial arts competition tapes smile.gif. I'm a huge Pride fighting, K-1, and UFC fan and practitioner. I also collect fairly rare Chaosium Call of Cthulhu roleplaying supplements. It's a bizarre esoteric mix of collecting hobbies. People look at me weird when I talk about what I like to do on my spare time. Basically fight and read comic books.

Cool! Basketball is one of my hobbies. Half jock, half geek goodevil.gif

I collect dust and my wife still has a working Atari 2600 from the early 80s with about 100 games.

I do have about 4 swords - real ones - so I guess Ikinda collect those - though not really.

I collect 1930's thru 1950's horror and science fiction movie posters: mainly lobby cards but with a sprinkling of one-sheets, half sheets, inserts window cards and pressbooks. My favorites are the Poverty Row studio (Monogram and PRC) 40's horror - low budget films with stars like Lugosi, Carradine, some Karloff, George Zucco, Lionel Atwill etc. Also the Universal horror films but man they can be pricier than an Action 1, so I tend towards the early 50's Realart re-release lobby cards. But I DO have some original Universals as well from the lesser films like She-Wolf of London, Invisible Woman, Son Of Dracula, Invisible Man's Revenge, most of the Chaney Jr. Inner Sanctum films, etc.

I do with them what I do with my comics: try to get one representative sample of each film.

I collect 1930's thru 1950's horror and science fiction movie posters: mainly lobby cards but with a sprinkling of one-sheets, half sheets, inserts window cards and pressbooks. My favorites are the Poverty Row studio (Monogram and PRC) 40's horror - low budget films with stars like Lugosi, Carradine, some Karloff, George Zucco, Lionel Atwill etc. Also the Universal horror films but man they can be pricier than an Action 1, so I tend towards the early 50's Realart re-release lobby cards. But I DO have some original Universals as well from the lesser films like She-Wolf of London, Invisible Woman, Son Of Dracula, Invisible Man's Revenge, most of the Chaney Jr. Inner Sanctum films, etc.

I do with them what I do with my comics: try to get one representative sample of each film.

Neat! I shoulda had posters as an option. Another poll? smile.gif

I know im the newbie but let me chime in....

I collect original fantasy art (basically anything from Larry Elmore or Dragonlance themed). Big fan of the chronicles trilogy!! grin.gif

Lofwyr,

Do you have your tapes/contests catalogued? Do you have any "home-spun" tapes of reknowned fighters sparring as well?

I don't have my tapes properly catalogued yet mostly just a couple shelves of tapes. I have a few vale tudo tapes from Brazil, Japanese competitions, and old Gracie videos. Quite a few local California amateur BJJ grappling tapes but i'd have to dig them all out to see what I have specifically. My "amateur" taped footage is pretty small but i've been trying to get more lately. I guess the Gracie tapes are the ones with the most reknown fighters.

Lately i've been trying to get more NAGA, Thailand (stadium muay thai competitions), and Brazil stuff.

Murph,

Your comment...that's just being a [!@#%^&^]. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

However, I don't really care tongue.gif Sold that POS MS5 for good money.

I started collecting original comic art at the end of last year since I'm winding down my purchases of back issue comics. I've been focusing, for the most part, on commissions/covers/splashes/pin-ups (i.e., non-panel pages) featuring my favorite female characters, including Vampirella, Elektra, Red Sonja and Gwen Stacy, among others.

Despite picking up this new collecting hobby, I'm hoping to spend less time on all of my collecting pursuits going forward...as fun as it is, I get a lot more pleasure out of doing and experiencing things than simply accumulating stuff and writing about it on message boards wink.gif. Remember, it's not like you can take it with you when you die! 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Gene

Coins are my main collicting intrests and I am working on collecting books on coins. I will also collect anycomic books that deal with Green Arrow. I also have collected about two hundres VHS tapes. Over the years I've also have collected Sci-Fi and Fantasy books. CHRIS

I collect original fantasy art (basically anything from Larry Elmore or Dragonlance themed). Big fan of the chronicles trilogy!! grin.gif

Hickman and Weis are PHENOMENAL!!! I love Chronicles and Legends is even better (I'm a big Raistlin Majere fan). Haven't gotten a chance to read their last four books in the Dragonlance world, but will eventually

Did you ever read any of their other stuff? I've read Star of the Guardians, Rose of the Prophet, and The Darksword trilogies. All are excellent but not on the level of Chronicles or Legends.

As for the art, I don't collect it, but I do so enjoy it. I have a lot of the AD&D books and modules dealing with Dragonlance and one of my favorite 30 minute past times are paging through "The Art of the Dragonlance Saga". I love Elmore's work on the covers for the original Chronicles. He's also done a few exceptional pieces such as "Palin's Test" and the incredibly moving "The Death of Sturm". However, for my money, Keith Parkinson has done the best paintings ever done for Dragonlance. My personal favorite is "The Last Spell of Fistandantilus"; it captures the desperate battle between the two most powerful evil wizards in Krynn history very well. I also love "Dragon's of War" depicting Sturm's final stand against Kitiara and Skie. "Raistlin's Farewell" is very touching; Caramon's wounded sorrow is very well portrayed. And when it comes to capturing sheer power, "Lord Soth's Charge" is hard to top.