• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

Okay, this is weird, but I collect memorabilia related to the original gothic rock band Bauhaus. My favorite...

Autographed rarities, posters, interviews, early versions of the "Bela Lugosi" single, imports, interview discs, shirts, etc. I have some really nice stuff, but since nobody in Oklahoma knows who Bauhaus was, nobody here cares.

I also collect art, books, and music from the Chippewa (aka, Ojibway) and Lakota Indian tribes, inasmuch as this is my own family heritage (I lived at Cheyenne River Reservation abnd speak conversational Sioux).

Everything and anything, but in no particular order (nor being exhaustive):

Early 20th century Australian watercolours

Australian oil paintings

Kerosene banquet lamps

Vinyl albums

Sports memorabilia (game used, autos etc. Particularly baseball (Brooklyn Dodgers), Cricket, Rugby, Clemson)

Pinball machines

Cigarette cards

I guess I also collect DVDs (about 225), videotapes (about 500) and laserdiscs (about 100) - mainly horror, sci-fi, film noir, the old detective series like Sherlock Holmes, Charlie Chan, Mister Moto etc, and assorted 30's nd 40's films - love screwball comedies like The Man Who Came To Dinner and My Man Godfrey and a lot of the straight crime films. Edward G Robinsno, James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart are all aces!).

I will take whatever I can get. So long as they fit one of three criteria.

Sporting theme,

Superhero theme, or

One I played when I was wasting my life away in the bowling alley.

Earliest one I own is a Gottlieb Baseball theme (1963) The back panel uses a cubs uniform layout.

Most recent is a Batman Returns.

There is a great book on pinball machines that I picked up in Hong Kong that was put together by a couple of German enthusiasts. Don't remember the title but I can get the info if you would like.

In general (where I come from anyway) the best people to deal with are those people who lease vending machines for a living. They tend to know when and where auctions are being held for all ages of machines, they have access to a lot of amusement centre liquidations and they generally have the expertise to service them on an ongoing basis.

I have a single contact (unbelieveably small markups and finders fees) who carries my want list with him. If he finds something he will send me scans by email and I either say yes or no.

I currently have 14 machines and I find that my two young boys would rather play them than play with a game boy (go figure). Must be the whole noise and visual thing.

Mushroom, do you collect OLD pinball machines? I've always wanted an ASM pinball machine but simply have no idea where to look to find one. frown.gif

Brian

Hey Brian I just thought of another option for you......In Australia (Carter's) and the UK (Miller's) an antique guide gets issued yearly (I am sure the states must have something similar). What you can do is look up pinball or amusement machines and contact the dealers who display items. I have picked up a couple of machines this way. In general the dealers who list items in these guides concentrate on that particular genre.

I also like Bauhaus a lot! Have all of their stuff plus Love and Rockets. The Hunger is a damn good vampire movie despite what a lot of others say - any movie with a guest appearance by Bauhaus and starring Bowie and Denueve has to rock! Did you see the band on the reunion gig? They did not get close enough for me to see them. I am also a huge Cult fan and have seen them 4 times since they got back together and will be seeing the 21st Century Doors( fronted by Ian Astbury) next week in Orlando! The 80s will never die!

Edited by clobberintime

Mushroom, do you collect OLD pinball machines? I've always wanted an ASM pinball machine but simply have no idea where to look to find one. frown.gif

Brian

There is a pinball store in St. Charles, Illinois - I believe it is called Paladin, but I'm not sure. They would have the machine of which you speak.

(trying for yoda)

I also like Bauhaus a lot! Have all of their stuff plus Love and Rockets. The Hunger is a damn good vampire movie despite what a lot of others say - any movie with a guest appearance by Bauhaus and starring Bowie and Denueve has to rock! Did you see the band on the reunion gig? They did not get close enough for me to see them. I am also a huge Cult fan and have seen them 4 times since they got back together and will be seeing the 21st Century Doors( fronted by Ian Astbury) next week in Orlando! The 80s will never die!

Yes, we went into debt to fly out to Hollywood to attend their first two reunion shows, and saw them a third time in Dallas. I've seen L&R four times, and I've amassed an impressive collection of live recordings and videos.

Oh, and I met Daniel and Peter outdoors after the first Reunion concert.

Ever into Tones on Tail?

Aurora monster models - old and new

Had about 12 of these all assembled and back in '70 - me and my buddy spent an afternoon shooting them all to pieces with a BB gun. Glued 'em back together again and the following week-end we blew em' up again. There wasn't much left to glue together. frown.gif

Okay, this is weird, but I collect memorabilia related to the original gothic rock band Bauhaus. My favorite...

Autographed rarities, posters, interviews, early versions of the "Bela Lugosi" single, imports, interview discs, shirts, etc. I have some really nice stuff, but since nobody in Oklahoma knows who Bauhaus was, nobody here cares.

I also collect art, books, and music from the Chippewa (aka, Ojibway) and Lakota Indian tribes, inasmuch as this is my own family heritage (I lived at Cheyenne River Reservation abnd speak conversational Sioux).

bela lugosi's dead...undead, i just gave away a brand new bauhaus reserrection tour t-shirt. 893whatthe.gif

Dim sum bronty collects game cartridges MINT in the pack.

Thanks, odin, I went out of my way not to mention it tongue.gif

Ah well, it's true, and many of the have been bought with doubles / undesirable comics shocked.gifshocked.gif

bela lugosi's dead...undead, i just gave away a brand new bauhaus reserrection tour t-shirt. 893whatthe.gif

Hmnmm...I was the graphic designer of the Bauhaus Resurrection limited edition T-shirts (only 50 of each made). I don't suppose it was one of those, was it?

I'd pretty much kill to have my glow-in-the-dark Dracula model back. And I used to pick up pretty much every dinasaur model they made (I believe they were Aurora's. And I use the term model loosely---they snapped together and didn't require glue).

Man, you guys are making me completely jealous. I almost bought my favorite pinball machine a couple of years ago, when my wife finally drew the line--it was the Bobby Orr Powerplay machine. Close seconds, which I've also had the chance to buy, are Evel Knievel, Mata Hari, Captain Fantastic. I still firmly believe that good pinball machines blow away video games.