• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

I collect bills....

...oh wait...that's not what you meant...

OK, I collect, off and on, Magic: the Gathering cards (mostly off now). I used to play but that got too expensive so now I just collect them to put together complete sets. However, I'll likely get back into playing and teach my kids to play as well.

I also collect DVDs, CDs, aquariums, and dust.

I also collect movie posters. I have most of the James Bond movie posters from Spy Who Loved Me and on.... I also used to buy pretty much buy the poster to any movie I liked - Terminator, Dances with Wolves, Gladiator, etc. Haven't bought any new ones in the last couple of years though - no more room for them. I used to have them hanging up in my living room....

Oh yeah, I'm also into the Carl Barks lithographs from Another Rainbow - have all of the minis and about 1/4 of the large ones. Stopped collecting those to try to save $$$ and I've run out of wall space for them. grin.gif

I collect mixed martial arts competition tapes smile.gif. I'm a huge Pride fighting, K-1, and UFC fan and practitioner. I also collect fairly rare Chaosium Call of Cthulhu roleplaying supplements. It's a bizarre esoteric mix of collecting hobbies. People look at me weird when I talk about what I like to do on my spare time. Basically fight and read comic books

I do the same!!! I don't actually collect anything related, but I do actively participate in mixed martial arts. I'm in training for a local tournament as we speak. wink.gif

Any tips on finding training footage/videos of some top fighters?

What do you practice? I'm mainly practicing "American" Kickboxing but I'm considering taking on another dicipline.

Lofwyr,

I'm always looking for any fighting tapes (I have all the commercially available contests already on tape) of either Vitor Belfort or Mark "the Hammer" Coleman. Practice tapes, gym tapes, sparring, rolling, etc. Please keep me in mind if you see something that fits the bill.

Well, I just completed a mini-collection of Galaxy magazines edited by James Blish (1974-76 or so). Like comics, these were the mags I bought as a kid, so sought them out for nostalgia value. I remembered the great political rants from Jerry Pournelle and the great SF reviews by Spider Robinson. Not too surprisingly, turns out they worked better for a 13 year old than today...

Another kick I got on was collecting Philip K. paperbacks. In the late 80s / early pre-eBay 90s a lot of his stuff was out of print, so when I travelled to new cities I'd always check out the used bookstores. I'm still at it to some extent-- have several editions of every SF novel and short story collection assembled during his lifetime. The only area I'm avoiding is the 1990s trade paperbacks (too common, odd size... sound familiar as a comics collector?)

For similar reasons, I've also assembled a complete set of the Ed McBain 87th Precient police procedurals. Various companies apparently hold the reprint rights, so it's not possible to collect everything in the same format.

Guess I'm just a reading nerd!

Z.

Aurora monster models - old and new, Bowen statues, hero clix although I know nothing about the game, wacky packs to a degree, transformers old and new , and superhero action figures. I have a few megos but the new stuff is so good that that is the main focus - new JLA line is awesome as is Superman and the Marvel series.

I collect original fantasy art (basically anything from Larry Elmore or Dragonlance themed). Big fan of the chronicles trilogy!! grin.gif

Hickman and Weis are PHENOMENAL!!! I love Chronicles and Legends is even better (I'm a big Raistlin Majere fan). Haven't gotten a chance to read their last four books in the Dragonlance world, but will eventually

Did you ever read any of their other stuff? I've read Star of the Guardians, Rose of the Prophet, and The Darksword trilogies. All are excellent but not on the level of Chronicles or Legends.

As for the art, I don't collect it, but I do so enjoy it. I have a lot of the AD&D books and modules dealing with Dragonlance and one of my favorite 30 minute past times are paging through "The Art of the Dragonlance Saga". I love Elmore's work on the covers for the original Chronicles. He's also done a few exceptional pieces such as "Palin's Test" and the incredibly moving "The Death of Sturm". However, for my money, Keith Parkinson has done the best paintings ever done for Dragonlance. My personal favorite is "The Last Spell of Fistandantilus"; it captures the desperate battle between the two most powerful evil wizards in Krynn history very well. I also love "Dragon's of War" depicting Sturm's final stand against Kitiara and Skie. "Raistlin's Farewell" is very touching; Caramon's wounded sorrow is very well portrayed. And when it comes to capturing sheer power, "Lord Soth's Charge" is hard to top.

Yes i also love Raistlin, Best character in all of D&D in my opinion (Screw Drizzt grin.gif). Havent read any of the newer age Dragonlance books, though Soulforge was just off the chart good!!! I still find myself going back thumbing through the annotated chronicles, for Weiss and Hickmans notes on the books. Its good stuff.

I have a few Elmore Ink's of Raistlin, and a really sweet Clyde Caldwell piece of Sturm that he did for the book the Oath and the Measure.

My all time favorite pieces would have to be Raistlin and Crysiana (so much going on in this one with Raistlin eyes and the look on his face you can get a different vibe everytime you look at it!), and of course the Death of Sturm (just one of the all time classics)

I've just now started collecting old scienc fiction "B" movies on VHS or DVD(if you can find them).

I just bought "The Time Travellers"-VHS, "The Day the Earth Stood Still-DVD(Not a "B" movie though, "Earth vs the Flying Saucers"-VHS).

I hope to buying several more like "X the man with X-ray eyes..etc..)

In addition to older comics, I collect non-sports cards (Wacky Packs, etc) but especially Bazooka Joe and other gum comics. This is a much overlooked field of comic collecting. Close to 2,000 different Bazooka Joe's were made from 1954-1977 and I'm only missing about a dozen. wink.gif

No kidding, Khaos! I'm still trying to make sense of Valis!!! May be time for a re-read....

Chris

-newcomers should start with 'The Man in the High Castle' and then move on to the heavier stuff smile.gif

No kidding, Khaos! I'm still trying to make sense of Valis!!! May be time for a re-read....

Chris

-newcomers should start with 'The Man in the High Castle' and then move on to the heavier stuff smile.gif

Bah! You know the story makes no sense! wink.gif It's like that one movie... you know, the one that doesn't make any sense... "Ernest Scared Stupid." confused.gifwink.gif

Damn, what was that movie that didn't make any sense? Let's start a list!

High Castle is indeed great, but the un-initiated will be disappointed in its ending. (Rumour has it PKD periodically toyed with writing a sequel up until his untimely death).

I'd suggest the best entry point would be "A Scanner Darkly" -- one of his funniest, and the reality-shifting is fairly well-explained in the context of drug use by the central character.

Cheers,

Z.

type Sci-Fi is exactly why I stopped reading the genre in college. The last straw was a robotic love-triangle(?) story that was in Omni magazine. Read it twice and still didn't know what the hell was going on. A decade later (1996), it took a friend of mine who swore that Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End was a classic for me to pick up another Sci-Fi book. Since then, I've been very selective on what I read in the genre.

It seems some writers write the story with the aspect that the stranger and more obscure it is, the better story results. They need to go back and figure out how to write a good story first.

Jim

Chris

Now, Valis on the other hand is a magnificient though dangerous walk through metaphysics and madness. Indeed, I believe it was Ursula K. LeGuin who absolutely hated this book, believing it dived headlong into the abyss.

For me, I think it is an amazing revisiting of the problem of evil using both 's personal mystical revelations and the heretical Gnostic beliefs expelled from orthodox Christianity centuries ago. Of course, does all this within the trappings of both an SF novel and his hippy Marin County drug culture background. To get a handle on what he's after in this book, also read his great posthumous "Transmigration of Timothy Archer," which has his best-realized female character/narrator, and is almost a straight set-in-this-reality narrative.

Reading Valis can literally be a mind-altering event. (I believe it was for me).

Or perhaps was just going insane by this point. goodevil.gif

type Sci-Fi is exactly why I stopped reading the genre in college. The last straw was a robotic love-triangle(?) story that was in Omni magazine. Read it twice and still didn't know what the hell was going on. A decade later (1996), it took a friend of mine who swore that Arthur C Clarke's Childhood's End was a classic for me to pick up another Sci-Fi book. Since then, I've been very selective on what I read in the genre.

It seems some writers write the story with the aspect that the stranger and more obscure it is, the better story results. They need to go back and figure out how to write a good story first.

Jim

Not sure which Omni story that was (or if it was indeed a PKD one). But yes, was sometimes intentionally obtuse. Part of this may have been he had real literary aspirations that were thoroughly frustrated within his lifetime. Only one of his mainstream novels ("Confessions of a CrapArtist") was published while he was alive, and I found it boring boring boring. All about the repressed sterility of upper middle class life in 1950s California...yawn...

I think his SF was top notch provided you take it on in small doses. But then I really enjoy his metaphysical (and later spiritual) dabblings.

But I'd agree with you about much of the so-called "New Wave" SF (Ballard, Disch, etc.) Kind of like much of modern art-- deliberately inaccessible!

Cheers,

Z.