• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

Cartoon and Comic Character Glasses. I have about 1000, my favorites of which are easily my DC Superhero Pepsi prototypes from the 1970's (it's great having a Superman item which is only known to have 3 copies in existence) and early Looney Tunes glasses from the 1930's (my most recent acquisition was a previously unknown glass promoting the early short, "Porky's Big Express"). The LT glasses are incredibly rare and even most LT collectors don't know they exist. Check out my site for some examples.

Science fiction monthly magazines. Have a run of Fantasy & Science Fiction from the 60s up to the present. Also an (almost) complete run of Asimov's from when it started in the 70s until now. Between these, comic books, and other books I overflowed all the closets in the house. My wife made me rent a climate controlled storage shed to store some of this stuff. blush.gifgrin.gif

Cartoon and comic drinking glasses. Have close to 1000, including prototype DC/Pepsi glasses.

And slurpee cups (according to my wife, I crossed line with this one)

And early Looney Tunes memorabilia.

And NY Mets Baseball cards.

And.........

And NY Mets Baseball cards.

i collected cards as a child - from about 1987-1990. NYMets were the team, and

Dwight Gooden was the MAN! !

actually - only until recently (last yr or so) - found an auction on ebay. got gooden's two 1984 update cards (fleer and topps tiff) together with his other 1985 RCs for like $8.

couldn't believe it. first time in over 10 yrs i buy cards, and i get my two holy-grails. up until then - as a 10 yr old collector - i had never even SEEN EITHER of them. and all of a sudden i had them. kinda odd feeling. cause yes - the search was over, but it was over so "easily" - and the passion wasn't quite there anymore - but it still meant something. so i still have them. i still have all my cards - i imagine if i sell my card collection - i'll still keep those two cards though.

but - very cool to get them so cheap. they used to book for over 100 apiece.

other stuff - all at some point in my life

coins

stamps

rocks

used lottery-tickets

currently -

vivian hsu stuff (don't think anyone here would know her)

Here I go again.

Actively collecting…

US Stamps

Military Decorations (Medals, Insignias, etc.)

Original Anime Cells (Just Tenchi)

Autographs

Fossils

Cancelled Stocks

Non-Sports Cards (Venom only)

Blues Brothers memorabilia

Original Art (working on it)

Bank Notes

Old letters (1800s or before)

Gargoyles

Family Heraldry Items

Other collections (not actively after)

Arrowheads

Antique Pocket Watches

Toys

Newspapers

Buttons (the pin on kind)

World Coins

Money

bicentenial quarters actually. Fun looking through the spare change for those drummerboys! 27_laughing.gif

Timely

Same here, tongue.gif. Also happen to collect those $2 bills. I like to pick up any funky coins that come through the bank that I work at. I am not actively buying any bills or coins, but I have come across a couple hundred wheat pennies from the early 1910's, a 30 or 40 walking liberty half-dollars, a couple buffalo nickels, and even found a silver dollar that dated back to 1893 once. cloud9.gif

The last thing I need is another hobby digging into my wallet. Surprisingly, girls aren't interested in what grade my ASM #39 is in, especially when it means sacrificing a fancy meal for Burger King. It only works a couple of times before you end up getting Jr. Whoppers hurled at your head.

Hmmmmm....

1. Perez FF art. Just getting into buying some, big thanks to board member Heartened for passing me to the right people.

2. 1970s Mead superhero stuff. Strange, weird things that sell for nothing - folders, cups, posters, etc.

3. Old postcards of Barrington, Illinois (my home town). They pop up every now and then on eBay, stuff from 1910. Totally bizarre that my little (pop. 10,000) town would have postcards made about it, especially old stuff.

and of course, Visa slips.