• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What GA run have you completed recently?

190 posts in this topic

It seems like every few months my mind wanders over the subject of completing a GA title. A complete GA set. cloud9.gif I've never been much of a completionist, but the idea of owning a complete, unbroken run of a GA title is very appealing. As much as I love early Detective & Batman, I'll never complete a GA set of either. And I'm not sure I would want to. So I wrack my brain thinking of a GA title I could complete.

I have three caveats:

[*] Enjoyable stories & characters (which seems to be a challenge for GA, even Batman comics have some filler stories)

[*] The comics need to be fairly affordable in lower grade (average cost per book of $200)

[*] The title had a fairly short run (30-60 issues).

Also, I'd probably limit my choices to DC and Marvel (Timely/Atlas).

All Star was always an appealing choice. It's a short, finite set of 57 comics. However, the prices in guide were off-putting. But then I saw ciorac's comment in another thread and discovered that they do seem to sell for well below guide on eBay. Many of them can be had for less than $100. Nothing special, just decent-looking reader copies.

Another series I've thought about is Green Lantern. Only 38 issues with some cool covers.

But I'm not sure I'd like the stories in either of these series well enough to spend the money to collect the whole run. Both would cost over $10,000 to complete. Even over a period of many years, that's a lot of cheddar. So lately, I've been looking more towards Atom Age titles which would be more affordable. I haven't come to any conclusions yet though.

Anybody else get the completionist bug for GA?

I have three caveats:

[*] Enjoyable stories & characters (which seems to be a challenge for GA, even Batman comics have some filler stories)

[*] The comics need to be fairly affordable in lower grade (average cost per book of $200)

You don't ask for much do you? The DC or Atlas requirement is the tough one! I can only come up with Venus for Timely / Atlas and Tomahawk, Rex, the Wonder Dog and Johnny Thunder for DC as fitting your parameters as best as possible.

I have three caveats:

You don't ask for much do you?

acclaim.gif

Actually if I stretch it out to $250-300 per issue, All Star and GL are doable in low grade.

Go for something off the beaten path.....Supersnipe was fun to collect.....

I never looked at Supersnipe until this weekend. I finally have access to Windows mediaplayer so I can listen to the Comic Zone. There was a show in 2004 with David Carradine where he talks about Supersnipe. It sounds like a neat series. smile.gif I figured it was another superhero knockoff, but it's about a kid who collects comics.

You should listen the the show, Collin. The very end of the third segment is where he talks about collecting Supersnipe when he was a kid.

I have three caveats:

acclaim.gif

Actually if I stretch it out to $250-300 per issue, All Star and GL are doable in low grade.

Planet...... cloud9.gif

Jungle..... confused-smiley-013.gif

Jumbo..... 893applaud-thumb.gif

All Star... thumbsup2.gif

Spirit....... cloud9.gif

Supersnipe... flowerred.gif

I have three caveats:

acclaim.gif

I was a completionist most of my comic collecting career. Only recently have I changed. Now, when working on a run, I only get the ones with the covers I like. So, for instance in the 37 issue run of Green Lantern I culled it down to 19 issues I want. Doing the same thing for Flash. I recommend it highly.

I was a completionist most of my comic collecting career. Only recently have I changed. Now, when working on a run, I only get the ones with the covers I like. So, for instance in the 37 issue run of Green Lantern I culled it down to 19 issues I want. Doing the same thing for Flash. I recommend it highly.

Totally agree with this approach. Buy the issues that appeal to you the most and maybe then look at completing a run.

Totally agree with this approach. Buy the issues that appeal to you the most and maybe then look at completing a run.

You are a cool dude SS. I'd like to come to Derka Derkastan and trade comics with you one day!

I was a completionist most of my comic collecting career. Only recently have I changed. Now, when working on a run, I only get the ones with the covers I like. So, for instance in the 37 issue run of Green Lantern I culled it down to 19 issues I want.

Bill, just curious but does your GL run include issue 5? I've heard the book is particulary tough for some reason, especially in grade.

As you probably know, Joe S. has been working on the Church GL run and I've been informed that there is no Church issue 5. He doesn't own a copy last I spoke to him (San Diego, this year).

STEVE (make mine Larson)

I was a completionist most of my comic collecting career. Only recently have I changed. Now, when working on a run, I only get the ones with the covers I like. So, for instance in the 37 issue run of Green Lantern I culled it down to 19 issues I want.

Bill, just curious but does your GL run include issue 5? I've heard the book is particulary tough for some reason, especially in grade.

As you probably know, Joe S. has been working on the Church GL run and I've been informed that there is no Church issue 5. He doesn't own a copy last I spoke to him (San Diego, this year).

STEVE (make mine Larson)

I would be working on GL now if I'd seen the #5, #30, and #38 that just recently sold on eBay for $229, $179, $119 respectively. Low grade for sure, but those are supposed to be the hardest to get.

ARGH! Christo_pull_hair.gif

You are a cool dude SS. I'd like to come to Derka Derkastan and trade comics with you one day!

The books I want from you are mighty hard to find and damn expensive but I might take you up on that one day. thumbsup2.gif

STEVE (make mine Larson)

It is on my want list. I've bid on a few and have an offer in on one. I don't find them that tough to find. Perhaps they are "in grade" so to speak. But, since I don't really chase high grades, I can't be sure.

Yeah I know Joe has had an APB out for that book a long time.