• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What GA run have you completed recently?

190 posts in this topic

It's official, I've finally completed (although would like to upgrade some) my supersnipe collection with all appearances. Here are a few group photo shots of the collection. I sold off about 20 undercopies a few years ago, and now wish I had kept them as readers. I was downstairs taking photos, so I took a few other GA group shots for that thread.

Enjoy.....I know I have.

I'd still like to get a copy of Army Navy #2 just to fill out the run, but only #5 has a supersnipe story. 1332400-Picture069.jpg1332400-Picture070.jpg1332400-Picture071.jpg1332400-Picture073.jpg1332400-Picture075.jpg1332400-Picture076.jpg1332400-Picture077.jpg

If you're looking to complete this collection, I think these V4#9-12 and v1#8, v1#9, V2#1 (gerber no show) are the toughest of the group. Here's my Supersnipe V1#8 reproduction by Fred Hembeck and the MH copy of Army Navy #2 (the only book I think I need a copy of)

1332400-supersnipe8.JPG1332400-l4029.jpg

I'm bumping this and asking if anyone has a copy of Army Navy #2 in decent VG or better for me? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I recently completed my Top Notch and Top Notch Laugh run 1-45 plus Laugh Comix 46,47,and 48... the title then switches to Suzie Comics at 49 -100. I collected the Suzies till about 62 then they lost their Good Girl quality and became another generic Archie type of book from the late 40's. The one thing about Top Notch that appealed to me, besides affordability, was the consistant quality of the stories of issues 1-27. After that it was downhill but I persisted for the sake of completionism. ( a new religion I think) The first Top Notch I bought were 9 and 7, they were great reads and I was hooked. I also collected all the other MLJ titles and got pretty close to a full run,about thirty shy, but Pep 22 and some of the other Peps in the 20's eluded my tight fisted little hands.All I've been doing lately is upgrading some of the lower grade issues, but the thrill is pretty much gone and I've decided to start collecting delft.

Yeah, you know....little blue dutch plates and such. Trying to complete a golden age run has made me lose my mind. Don't have to worry about PQ though.

Not PQ, but undisclosed restoration 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is there an explanation for the cover to #1? It's quite the scene 893whatthe.gif

GA cover scenes require no explanation. Those are for bronze-age fan boys. We just want girls, mayhem and blood. (Or just girls for GA Archies.)

Is there an explanation for the cover to #1? It's quite the scene 893whatthe.gif

Looks like the artist started with the hot girl and the nerd, then realised he had a lot of blank paper left and began filling in the spaces with random "action" imagery until the point of sensory and logical overload was reached, then surpassed. It's similar to the Bruckheimer moviemaking process.

I just thought that there might be a story inside that told of how two teenagers went for a walk on the beach and were magically transported to a land of anatomically dubious large cats, very small planes and arboreal midgets confused-smiley-013.gif

I just thought that there might be a story inside that told of how two teenagers went for a walk on the beach and were magically transported to a land of anatomically dubious large cats, very small planes and arboreal midgets confused-smiley-013.gif

Finally got around to reading the story. The cover Does have something to do with the story. The beach is from the jungle island that Jenny crashed on while hunting for hidden nazi treasure. The lion is from the lion cave that they believe is the beginning of a nazi tunnel that will lead them to the treasure. The dude in the tree is a wild jungle man that saves Jenny from a man (woman) eating plant. The only thing that isn't explained is the P-51. The only two planes in the story are Jenny's crashed Beech 18 (that's what it lools like anyway) and a PBY Catalina.

This was the first GA comic I've read that was just one continuos story instead of multiple stories.

Finally got around to reading the story. The cover Does have something to do with the story. The beach is from the jungle island that Jenny crashed on while hunting for hidden nazi treasure. The lion is from the lion cave that they believe is the beginning of a nazi tunnel that will lead them to the treasure. The dude in the tree is a wild jungle man that saves Jenny from a man (woman) eating plant. The only thing that isn't explained is the P-51. The only two planes in the story are Jenny's crashed Beech 18 (that's what it lools like anyway) and a PBY Catalina.

This was the first GA comic I've read that was just one continuos story instead of multiple stories.

It's surprising that they put that much effort into the cover to make it match the interior. Too often that's not the case.

I seem to recall Flying Jenny being a newspaper strip. Is the comic a reprint or is it, as far as you can tell, an original story? Single story comics from the GA can be very appealing.